SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#465357 - 01/28/19 03:59 PM Boy do I suck!!
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
I made my first attempt, recording a song on my new Tape Recorder. Man, if this is what the audience is hearing (and why wouldn't it be?) its no wonder I never held a job for a real long time! It was horrible! So horrible, I'm not going to save it but keep working on trying to make it better. Part of the problem is, I'm still learning how to use the recorder itself. A whole lot of work is going to be necessary here!

#465364 - 01/28/19 05:54 PM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I feel your pain. Just about everything I record makes me cringe!
But keep recording yourself because you’ll learn so much which will lead to improving which is what’s its all about anyways.

Us OMB guys do miss out on the feedback you get with playing with other players (especially those that play better than you)

So don’t be afraid to share your recordings with other musicians that may offeryou some constructive criticism. I posted several things here and received feedback that was constructive in nature which I try to learn from. Enjoy the journey!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#465365 - 01/28/19 06:02 PM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Earl, don't be afraid to post your recordings here. However, be prepared for some, hopefully, constructive criticism from some of the pros. You can learn a lot from these guys and I can attest to this first hand. I think it was Uncle Dave that blew me out of my socks when I posted my first recording of Merry Christmas Darling, and he hit the nail right on the head. I went back, figured out my mistakes, and provided an excellent recording a few days later.

Good luck,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#465366 - 01/28/19 06:20 PM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Earl:

Gary always tells it like it is. The good news... you recognize your recordings "are not up to snuff!" This means it may be the recording technique... or possibly, you need to work on your singing and/or playing. If you are concerned about the reaction of others, instead of sharing it with the entire board... send selected members a PM and see if they will share an E-mail address so you can send them an MP3 file. If I'm speaking greek... don't be shy... converting a WAV file (usually the product of a recording device) it is fairly easy to find free software to automatically convert it to MP3... (about 90% smaller and easier to transmit) so constructive criticism can be shared.

All of us have our doubts. Some more than others. Practice, practice, practice.

All the best, ----Dave

Edited by Riceroni9 (01/28/19 06:22 PM)
Edit Reason: typo

#465369 - 01/28/19 09:19 PM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: Riceroni9]
ekurburski Offline

Yes, I know, Practice, practice, practice. Believe me, I'm not afraid of the constructive criticism, That's the reason I will be submitting my recordings. I really don't think I'm going to be discovered by posting recordings on Synth Zone so that's not the problem. Thefirst recording though was bad for a lot of reconizable reasons that I really need to work on before I submit anything. believe me I will be submitting stuff over the next couple of weeks.

#465372 - 01/28/19 09:32 PM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
EVERYBODY I know doesn't like the sound of their voice at first. Especially me. Recording, listening and learning are the ways to get better.
The DR05 will give you back exactly what you put into it. It is fairly important to get the recording level right. It can be a little low and can be corrected, but if the level is too high you'll get a bunch of awful noise. smile

#465377 - 01/29/19 01:17 AM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think Don is right. Everyone I have heard from likes my voice except me it seems. Besides the recording level, watch your range. For myself, if I get to high, my voice loses the resonance I have(like Gary). After you get past that, there remains the technical elements that you know can be improved.
Bernie

#465397 - 01/29/19 08:28 AM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
ekurburski Offline

Thanks all for the comments. I will play with it more this afternoon and will try another attempt.

#465398 - 01/29/19 10:00 AM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
Dnj Offline

Let me just say without self confidence
you will never be a great musician or singer on any level....
believe in yourself,.... be better than everybody else...
don't give up..

Edited by Dnj (01/29/19 12:25 PM)

#465404 - 01/29/19 11:59 AM Re: Boy do I suck!! [Re: ekurburski]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By ekurburski
I made my first attempt, recording a song on my new Tape Recorder. Man, if this is what the audience is hearing (and why wouldn't it be?) its no wonder I never held a job for a real long time! It was horrible! So horrible, I'm not going to save it but keep working on trying to make it better. Part of the problem is, I'm still learning how to use the recorder itself. A whole lot of work is going to be necessary here!

"back in the day" when I first started singing, in my mind I sounded just like the artist who recorded the song ...
Then my parents bought a Webcor reel to reel recorder ... MAN, was I SHOCKED ... surprised
Fortunately, my voice got to the point where I can 'get by' doing vocals ...
As others have said, use the recorder as a learning tool, post songs here, and I am sure you will get helpful suggestions ...

Attachments
WebcorRegent3.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online