SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#461378 - 11/12/18 08:29 PM "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today
ZootAllures Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
My last purchase was a PA3x at the beginning of it's run. It's gone but I still have my Tyros 2, Korg Micro arranger and an MZ2000. The T5 was great w/ lots of new sounds, but still vs the T2, I don't know that it's worth the upgrade ( for me ). The 975 is a great value, but the keys still feel like my old PSR2k. It came down to the Genos and PA4x.

I've always been a "Korg" arranger guy, but today I just was more inspired by the Genos. Except for Korg's great synth sounds, in some groups I liked the Genos a lot better. I like to do a lot of guitar emulations. I always liked Korg's better before. Not any more. The PA4x OS and sounds are a bit different from the PA3x, but I didn't feel that it was enough that I'd change ( if I still had a PA3x ) Korg styles still feel a bit more live sounding, but the Genos has closed that gap and the transitions felt a lot smoother. The Genos has the most realistic sounding "acoustic" instruments I have played outside of some of the VSTi's I have. It's so easy though to plug and play vs setting up VST's. I was always a "synth first" guy who liked to play with the knobs while mashing a sound, but I remarked to the KB guy that today when I saw ( and sampled ) the modern hardware analogs / emulations, I was a bit stuck because I had forgotten about or simply didn't recognize some of the controllers.

The only thing is the price of the Genos. OK if I was working as a OMB, but I transitioned long ago into DJ work and I'm pretty much retired now. For a pleasure instrument where I only use the styles occasionally to jam to, probably more than I need to spend on a board. That said, it's really the first time since the transition from PSR 9k to Tyros that I see a vast difference from one flagship ( T 5 ) to the next and I was surprised that I liked it better than Korg's flagship. They're both great though, and in fairness I know the 3x so well that perhaps it's just the desire to hear something that sounds much different fro m what I once had. Well played Yamaha. I'd probably give them one more spin, but if I DO decide to spend on arranger, the Genos is the favorite to come home with me, even though I can get a refurbed 4x for about half. I will admit... THAT makes it a bit tougher. Of course I may take a ride and try out a Ketron. Loved the last one I tried, but.. it's a whole new OS since I've never owned one before. Having always preferred the PA series, I myself am surprised to say that.

Edited by ZootAllures (11/12/18 08:38 PM)

#461420 - 11/13/18 07:35 AM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: ZootAllures]
Dnj Offline

you can prob steal one once the genos 2 appears
as genos 1 prices plummet sharply.rumor has it they are speeding up production to release vs years ago as the older generation home wooden organ players who are a big part of totl Yamaha arranger sales are passing on and they want to capture as many sales as possible in time allotted........makes sense profit wise for the targeted audiences worldwide but rumors are rumors.

Edited by Dnj (11/13/18 07:40 AM)

#461428 - 11/13/18 08:17 AM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: ZootAllures]
ZootAllures Offline

Good point. I've seen them out there already for a bit less than what every house is asking. I'm only guessing but I suspect the Korg PA line gets a new release first though. I would also agree that the targeted audience is shrinking to be sure, at least in the US. Too bad. It just felt to me a big jump from the Tyros line, and I played a T5 side by side with it. The technology is such now that if it were simple enough to edit the patterns, perhaps ala an FL studio type software or even on the kb itself, I think it could be a staple for the younger players too. I can absolutely get better sounds on Vst instruments too, but the ability to load and even layer a couple of similar guitar patches to create a fuller sound on a top end arranger so quickly is big for me.

#461498 - 11/13/18 07:29 PM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: ZootAllures]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
There’s a lot of happy Genos owners out there.

😊

#461499 - 11/13/18 08:37 PM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: guitpic1]
ZootAllures Offline

I totally understand why. In truth my thinking going in was that I was likely to go home with a PA4x. I think it's a fabulous machine btw. So was pretty much everything else I played on yesterday, including a couple of the analogs. The Genos just felt and sounded so amazing though. So naturally I did the logical thing. I went home with a new semi weighted controller.

For now Vsts still rule my musical world, but for the first time in quite a few years I got a sense that a hardware board might actually suit me just as well and in some cases better. Genos could absolutely be that board.

#461500 - 11/13/18 08:49 PM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
as genos 1 prices plummet sharply.rumor has it they are speeding up production to release vs years ago as the older generation home wooden organ players who are a big part of totl Yamaha arranger sales are passing on and they want to capture as many sales as possible in time allotted........makes sense profit wise for the targeted audiences worldwide but rumors are rumors.

I don't believe that rumor at all smile

Yamaha stayed with bad releases for at least 3 years... they are not going to replace a winning keyboard after one year.. You got some bad info grin

#461501 - 11/13/18 08:57 PM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Originally Posted By Dnj

I don't believe that rumor at all smile

Yamaha stayed with bad releases for at least 3 years... they are not going to replace a winning keyboard after one year.. You got some bad info grin

offcourse not

Expected life span of the Genos, atleast 4 years. Probably 5.
The only one supporting that rumor is Donny, and i have no clue why.

In my vision Genos is a great, if not the best arranger ever build.
Yet, it still fails as a workstation trough all its limitations

Edited by Bachus (11/13/18 08:59 PM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#461508 - 11/14/18 03:39 AM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Doesn’t seem any good reason to replace the Genos for years to come. Many owners are still trying to learn all it has to offer. And it would be easy to upgrade much of the Genos through software.

Re: Genos fails as a workstation.

Was Genos intended as a workstation or arranger? I’ve never seen it advertised as a workstation?

#461509 - 11/14/18 04:18 AM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: guitpic1]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By guitpic1
Was Genos intended as a workstation or arranger? I’ve never seen it advertised as a workstation?

Yes, in fact it is and has been from the start of the promotions:
Genos

Quote:
Welcome to the new world of Digital Workstations. Genos is the new benchmark in Digital Workstation sound, design and user experience.Whether you are in a recording studio or on stage, Genos will inspire and intensify your musical creation and performance.
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#461512 - 11/14/18 05:48 AM Re: "Test drove" the Genos, T5, PSRS975 and PA4x today [Re: guitpic1]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By guitpic1
There’s a lot of happy Genos owners out there.

😊

Add me to the list of being one of the happy Genos owners.

The playlist feature linking registrations and the ability to open a lead sheet on the iPad is the icing on the cake for the board and it’s simple to do. What’s an added bonus is thru playlist you can link it to open any of the 1 to 10 registrations.

Edited by Stephenm52 (11/14/18 05:49 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online