SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#456675 - 08/22/18 09:55 AM Don't leave home without surge protection!!
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Just came home from a morning gig at a fire hall breakfast. Set up and ready to play, and no power at outlets. All circuit breakers were reset, and still no power.

An extension chord was run from another room. I turned on my equipment and flash, bam, alakazam, equipment went out and smelled a burning smell. I told the organizer my surge protector went out and I will not chance another incident. He agreed, and payed me, and offered to cover any damage to the equipment.

I had a Belkin Surge protector that burned out, but when I checked out my Tyros at home it was OK.

Based on Donny's past recommendation I am buying this unit as a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-Plug-...let+Power+Strip

I was lucky. Make sure your equipment is protected.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (08/22/18 11:33 AM)

#456677 - 08/22/18 10:00 AM Re: Don't leave home without surge protection!! [Re: Jerryghr]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Jerryghr
Just came home from a morning gig at a fire hall breakfast. Set up and ready to play, and no power at outlets. All circuit breakers were reset, and still no power.

An extension chord was run from another room. I turned on my equipment and flash, bam, alakazam, equipment went out and smelled a burning smell. I told the organizer my surge protector went out and I will not chance another incident. He agreed, and payed me, and offered to cover any damage to the equipment.

I had a Belkin Surge protector that burned out, but when I checked out my Tyros at home it was OK.

Based on Donny's past recommendation I am buying this unit as a replacement.

https://www.amazon.com/Furman-SS6B-Plug-...let+Power+Strip

I was lucky. Make sure your equipment is protected.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Jerry sorry to hear about your misfortune frown
....yes I still use the FURMAN protector with no problems so far grin good luck

#456722 - 08/23/18 08:13 AM Re: Don't leave home without surge protection!! [Re: Jerryghr]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Yearss ago in a dive bar in Keansbury NJ I had a bad incident. Had my Pa head and keyboard amp turned on but for some reason didn't start up the Hammond / Leslie. I had to run an extension cord into the kitchen to get power. Went outside for a few minutes before I had to start and a woman came out and said your equipment is smoking. Owner didn't wnat to hear anything so I loaded out. My tech told me everything was fried from a shot of 220 volts (electrical system short ) and I had a big repair bill. Thank God the Hammond was unaffected.

Get some surge protection if you don't have it !!!

#456723 - 08/23/18 08:40 AM Re: Don't leave home without surge protection!! [Re: Jerryghr]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I have a ground fault surge protector on my system, which also tells me if there is a bad grounding system in the electrical circuitry. Nice feature that will protect you from getting a bad electric shock.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online