SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#456234 - 08/15/18 08:56 PM Gear budget
Bachus Offline

How do you guys save up for new music gear?

I am putting €100 in my funds every month
And make some money by buying underpriced used gear and selling it again...
In general i buy most my gear used...

Havent been spending much lately.... and the money has been piling up over the years..
So i stopped putting away the extra money this month..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456243 - 08/16/18 06:31 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

I used to be loaded with all kinds of gear until one day I looked in the mirror and said to myself
WHAT AM I CRAZY WHY DO I NEED ALL THIS USELESS STUFF I HARDLY NEVER USE? it just sits here gathering dust for no reason especially if I am just playing at home and not performing out making money.
It was a big hoarding disease that I am so glad I was able to stop and come to my senses,....
now with just minimal gear I still can do everything I need musically ....

#456245 - 08/16/18 07:28 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Dnj
..... STUFF I HARDLY NEVER USE? it just sits here gathering dust for no reason especially if I am just playing at home and not performing out making money......

Nice reminder, I have to admit it's close to the truth here as well.
Too much stuff, a kind of 'nice to have' but very rarely or never used anymore.
Maybe time to reconsider and put some of it on sale at local eBay confused
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#456246 - 08/16/18 07:41 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
I used to be loaded with all kinds of gear until one day I looked in the mirror and said to myself
WHAT AM I CRAZY WHY DO I NEED ALL THIS USELESS STUFF I HARDLY NEVER USE? it just sits here gathering dust for no reason especially if I am just playing at home and not performing out making money.
It was a big hoarding disease that I am so glad I was able to stop and come to my senses,....

Minimal gear...

That would be an 88 key arranger like an 88 key genos... and a laptop with VST’s...
In the end thats all i need... Genos (or any other TOTL with high end 88 keybed abd aftertouch) ... and VST’s and other software tools for expandabillity

With current gear... the closest thing to an 88 key arranger is a combination of workstation/stagepiano and an arranger module..

If the new CVP series has all the Genos features, i might even consider that...

#456248 - 08/16/18 07:52 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Donny, good post, clear and to the point.
For me anything I am not using goes out. There are times when I wish I had not sold a keyboard, but in the long run I am ahead. Two of my good friends who passed away left me their Kn7000 keyboards. After a while I was not playing them so they were sold. That money went into an account separate from my living expenses. Like Bachus I buy and sell at the right price so buying the new piece of equipment cost very little. I find when I have to much equipment I do not enjoy playing as
much. Into learning and setting up and getting frustrated.

Frankie’s prices also makes the buying and selling easy. I still have enough in my music account to buy a new whatever.

John C.
PS, when I hear my old Kn7000 recordings I am tempted to buy another KN7000, they have being past being reliable – no future. If a company was to build the exact same model I would rush to buy one.

#456259 - 08/16/18 08:55 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj

Minimal gear...

That would be an 88 key arranger like an 88 key genos... and a laptop with VST’s...
In the end thats all i need... Genos (or any other TOTL with high end 88 keybed abd aftertouch) ... and VST’s and other software tools for expandabillity

With current gear... the closest thing to an 88 key arranger is a combination of workstation/stagepiano and an arranger module..

Go for it Bacchus you know what to do..

#456260 - 08/16/18 08:58 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Donny, good post, clear and to the point.
For me anything I am not using goes out. There are times when I wish I had not sold a keyboard, but in the long run I am ahead. Two of my good friends who passed away left me their Kn7000 keyboards. After a while I was not playing them so they were sold. That money went into an account separate from my living expenses. Like Bachus I buy and sell at the right price so buying the new piece of equipment cost very little. I find when I have to much equipment I do not enjoy playing as
much. Into learning and setting up and getting frustrated.

Frankie’s prices also makes the buying and selling easy. I still have enough in my music account to buy a new whatever.

John C.
PS, when I hear my old Kn7000 recordings I am tempted to buy another KN7000, they have being past being reliable – no future. If a company was to build the exact same model I would rush to buy one.

John. Good luck.... I'm glad some agree but won't admit.... But I understand the hoarding disease is sometimes greater then the person involved ...

#456266 - 08/16/18 10:24 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
5% of my playing and business income goes into an equipment fund for cameras, video equipment, editing equipment, guitars, keyboards...whatever it takes to play live and produce recordings and video.

I depreciate everything. Most of the electronic equipment is worth nothing, long-term, but some of the stringed instruments would surprise you.

For personal control, I NEVER buy an instrument or other piece of equipment unless I have the business to pay for it.

R.

#456271 - 08/16/18 10:46 AM Re: Gear budget [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj

Minimal gear...

Go for it Bacchus you know what to do..

No, not really...
Because i am actually still quite happy with my setup, except that it consissts out of 2 keyboards...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online