SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#452210 - 05/19/18 09:04 AM Power Single
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
What is a "Power Single"?

As I understand it..... a power single is a lone "entertainer" that is comfortable working by themselves ( no one wants to work with them) grin

They can handle upbeat material, request, new and old tunes, play fairly well and also sing well.... They can also BS anyone. smile

Now … what is a "Pro Power Single"?... My guess.. one that works everyday and not a weekend warrior smile

I would like a dollar for every time a "Power Single has flopped... I could afford a Genos wink

#452211 - 05/19/18 09:31 AM Re: Power Single [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
What is a "Power Single"?

Power is the key word here......
and I know you definitely understand the term PRO POWER SINGLE used by many agents to describe an act in the business,etc,..
roughly someone who can handle a job with the Power & versatility of a Full Band and that's musically, vocally & entertaining, & can cover all scenarios be it large weddings, dances, parties, clubs of any kind, NH shows, etc, etc, keys

#452214 - 05/19/18 10:03 AM Re: Power Single [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny, I think your definition of a PRO POWER SINGLE is accurate. I also think that most of us here consider YOU to be one. Now I don't presume to speak for Fran (he can do that perfectly well for himself), but I think he was just poking a little fun at you, as using the term to describe ONESELF could be off-putting to some people who might view it as somewhat immodest and perhaps having an exaggerated sense of one's self. In other words, it's perfectly fine and proper for an AGENT to use this term to define/describe an act he/she is trying to book, but I'm guessing very few 'pro's' describe themselves that way in casual conversation. JMO, though.

chas

#452215 - 05/19/18 10:16 AM Re: Power Single [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Donny, I think your definition of a PRO POWER SINGLE is accurate. I also think that most of us here consider YOU to be one. Now I don't presume to speak for Fran (he can do that perfectly well for himself), but I think he was just poking a little fun at you, as using the term to describe ONESELF could be off-putting to some people who might view it as somewhat immodest and perhaps having an exaggerated sense of one's self. In other words, it's perfectly fine and proper for an AGENT to use this term to define/describe an act he/she is trying to book, but I'm guessing very few 'pro's' describe themselves that way in casual conversation. JMO, though.

chas

My intent wasn't to be egotistical but more of a reference termonology to some who never heard the term used before in the business same as you would a DUO, TRIO, QUARTET, etc, as there are also single acts that are NOT Power singles, nothing wrong with that for let's say a acoustic guitar/singer in a coffee house, cocktail hr, or strolling table side accordion player, etc, it is just a different title to define the act to a perspective client nothing more,.

have a wonderful day.

#452218 - 05/19/18 11:49 AM Re: Power Single [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

My intent wasn't to be egotistical but more of a reference termonology to some who never heard the term used before in the business same as you would a DUO, TRIO, QUARTET, etc, as there are also single acts that are NOT Power singles, nothing wrong with that for let's say a acoustic guitar/singer in a coffee house, cocktail hr, or strolling table side accordion player, etc, it is just a different title to define the act to a perspective client nothing more,.

Okay, I can see that, but I still think Fran was just having a little harmless fun with you (supported by the fact that every sentence in his post is followed by a smiley face smile ). Anyhow, I'm just bored watching non-stop coverage of the royal wedding; I'd rather watch the Tony Awards or eat a 'veggie' pizza.

chas

#452219 - 05/19/18 11:59 AM Re: Power Single [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'd rather re-read the comic section that watch a "royal" event. Outside of U.K., why would anyone care?

#452223 - 05/19/18 12:23 PM Re: Power Single [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj

Okay, I can see that, but I still think Fran was just having a little harmless fun with you (supported by the fact that every sentence in his post is followed by a smiley face smile ). Anyhow, I'm just bored watching non-stop coverage of the royal wedding; I'd rather watch the Tony Awards or eat a 'veggie' pizza.

chas

Try watching Handmaid's Tale on Hulu excellent utopian novel series wow!

#452237 - 05/19/18 02:02 PM Re: Power Single [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... You can always watch some accordion jazz YouTube videos ... grin

#452247 - 05/19/18 02:50 PM Re: Power Single [Re: tony mads usa]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By tony mads usa
chas ... You can always watch some accordion jazz YouTube videos ... grin

I hate you, Tony Mads smile.

chas

#452251 - 05/19/18 03:11 PM Re: Power Single [Re: cgiles]