SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#445265 - 01/23/18 07:29 AM Another "What would you do ?"
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
I belong to the Bluffton Mens Club made up of mostly retired professionals. For a yearly fee ( and a fact for later is they have about 4K surplus in the treasury ) we meet once a month for dinner and a speaker. We also have special events like a Fish Fry and an Oyster Roast and an annual Xmas "Party" at an upscale restaurant. I put party in quotes because to me its just not a party. I haven't attended the Xmas party because they have no entertainment and its just sounds like a boring night.
A few months before the "party" the subject of entertainment came up and the name of a former member who used to play it for free was mentioned. I cringed because I knew they had now been led to believe entertainment shoud be free. The discussion ended with the guy in charge of the party said "some people complained about music because they want to talk " UGGGH !!!
So this free guy couldn't play softly thru dinner ???
Well they had the party and at this months meeting congrats were given to the organizer but then the President of the club said "I think we need some entertainment next time" AKA---- it WAS boring
Same answer given but this time the organized said we'll look into it.
Still with me ? Now my anticipated problem.
Some the members know I perform and some have even seen me at jobs. I'm afraid my name will be mentioned and all eyes will be on me for an answer if asked to play. Now its not about the money but I just have a thing about people demeaning our craft and expecting it for free. I have done a number of free events for local charities here but this club in not a Charity. They are very welll off, sort of like a Country Club without golf.
When new members join and ask what do we do the answer is "Nothing LOL "
How do I answer such a request if it should come up ???
I could use the old "hire a plumber for the night and I'll do it for half that" but I just don't want to come off as sarcastic.

#445266 - 01/23/18 07:55 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
So how will you feel if, knowing that some members have seen you perform, and they DIDN'T ask you? Double-edged sword smile.

chas

#445267 - 01/23/18 08:00 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
zuki Offline

I'd say those who heard Bill would never expect him to play for free, so why ask?

Edited by zuki (01/23/18 08:01 AM)

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#445268 - 01/23/18 08:07 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
zuki Offline

Lot of folks want something for nothing. I had a call yesterday who asked if I would take a cut and I said NO. "We only have $110 left for the month". Too bad, I thought. Went back to playing my stupid music in a room and wondered what the hell I'm doing in this industry.

When I get frustrated/disheartened like that, I chuck it off and let the next freebie musician take it.

A bit later I got a call from a new place and booked full price.

Bottom line, if you are worth it, stick to your guns and things will work out - they always seem to balance.

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#445269 - 01/23/18 08:35 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Chas
I really don't care either way. They may decide not to have any music again and if they do my name may never be mentioned by those who've seen me. Maybe they would realize they're putting me on the spot. I would like to do it because most of these members live in some of the more upscale communities and it may be a good audition for the future but I also hate the E word "exposure"
BTW I know where these members heard me and it was very sucessful gig so no worries about me being able to handle it. They all had a great time.
Zuki
I agree with sticking to my fee but having to do that can make me look like a bad guy. I remember caving on a price for an very rich CC because the guy who asked me had me playing at his restaurant. After I did it I was mad at myself and felt I was taken advantage of.

#445270 - 01/23/18 08:35 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

simple Bill...put it to a vote of the membership at a meeting Entertainment YES or NO hands Up,...majority rules....
why put yourself thru that crap your retired and enjoying life now..
why be under the microscope all the time.... go find a club that has fun & good time somewhere..

Edited by Dnj (01/23/18 08:48 AM)

#445271 - 01/23/18 08:41 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted By Dnj
go find a club that has a fun & good time somewhere..

Bill,

I was thinking the same thing as I read your post.

Regards,

Jerryghr

#445273 - 01/23/18 09:01 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Chas

Zuki
I agree with sticking to my fee but having to do that can make me look like a bad guy. I remember caving on a price for an very rich CC because the guy who asked me had me playing at his restaurant. After I did it I was mad at myself and felt I was taken advantage of.

Bingo, they will continue to do so. I'm happy when a low pay AD leaves where I've had a good track record. The next comes in, I charge more and it usually works out fine. I refuse to digress unless it is absolutely necessary.

#445276 - 01/23/18 09:33 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: zuki]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By zuki
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Chas

Zuki

Bingo, they will continue to do so. I'm happy when a low pay AD leaves where I've had a good track record. The next comes in, I charge more and it usually works out fine. I refuse to digress unless it is absolutely necessary.

many times it's not the AD's fault it is the budget they are given for the year and they have to make due stretching it out for entertainment,......if someone isn't happy with the pay level big deal just move on there are so many others out there that will pay what you need. Think about it $100, $125, $150.00+ for the hour even at $100.00 per hr that is still 10x more then working in McDonalds , or minimum wages at $8.00 per hr somewhere, etc, for an hour,...see what I'm saying?...sometimes we don't realize how good we have it in the trenches & how lucky we are top play music and they pay you too.

#445280 - 01/23/18 09:46 AM Re: Another "What would you do ?" [Re: Bill Lewis]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
$100. per hour BUT...
Travel each way, from 30 minutes to 2 hours...
Set up and tear down time and loading . . . another hour...
Income tax. . .?
Cost of gasoline ($2.25. a gallon here, much more in some places) and vehicle maintenance. . .?
Investment in equipment. . . Several thousand, and every time you move it something is at risk...
Time spent booking, invoicing, phone calls, correspondence ?
Years of experience, learning and developing talent, priceless.
However you look at it, it's NOT $100 an hour. You could consider that amount will keep you from losing money by taking the job?
Still worth doing though, if only to see the smiles on the faces of the audience!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online