SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#437692 - 09/18/17 10:41 AM I went "Old School" Saturday -
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
- in how I was dressed for a gig ...
I filled in for a vacationing KB player at an upscale restaurant in MA. I've worked the lounge area at this venue many times but never the main dining room ... In the lounge I would most often wear a black dress shirt with a nice tie ... The owner has recently requested that the musicians - one in the dining room and one in the lounge every Friday and Saturday - wear tuxedos ... He wears one anytime he is not cooking in the kitchen ... It was actually a pleasant change to be 'all spiffed up', even down to the patent leather shoes ... wink

More important than how I looked was the fact that I got a lot of compliments from the manager, staff, and customers (along with some nice tips $$$ smile ) ...
There was one party of eight that I figured was mom and dad, their kids and a couple of 'significant others' that I noticed were paying quite a bit of attention to the music - swaying in their seats, tapping on the table, etc.
Later, two of the young ladies passed by and took my business card ... when they were leaving, the youngest in the group, who I thought was about 16 to 18 years of age and really seemed to be into the music all night came by said "You were really great, thank you", and put a nice tip in the jar" ...

BTW, we often talk about how managers and staff in some of these venues aren't 'all that nice' to musicians, but I have to say that while I was setting up and during the night, one of the hostesses, the manager and a couple of staff members asked if there was anything I needed, or wanted to drink, whatever ... it was a really good evening for me all around ...

Attachments
old school performance pic.jpg

#437693 - 09/18/17 10:43 AM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: tony mads usa]
tony mads usa Offline

I guess I should have made that photo a little smaller ... redface

#437694 - 09/18/17 10:53 AM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Tony Nice Tux, Tablet, & Crown molding!! enjoy

#437696 - 09/18/17 11:43 AM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: Dnj]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I think he goes there early to put the moulding up. With the new keyboards these days, you can hook a nail gun up to them.
Korgs only though.

I'll be tuxed out this weekend for Danbury gig.

#437697 - 09/18/17 11:45 AM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Lookin good Mon! smile

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437698 - 09/18/17 11:48 AM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, Way to go my friend. You’re looking very dapper CONGRATS on a great gig!

Nothing wrong with that photo it’s the right size for the forum.

P.S. Where in the world did you ever get the idea to use a tablet? LOL. Set up looks great, beats those binders, doesn’t it?

Edited by Stephenm52 (09/18/17 11:48 AM)
Edit Reason: To add a P.S.

#437707 - 09/18/17 01:52 PM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Steve, everything beats those old, 3-inch thick, 3-ring binders we all carried in plastic baskets. I think I had about 8 of them at one time - the basket must have weighed 50 pounds or more.

Tony, If you were a 44 long, I would have sent you a couple tuxes last month, but knowing you haven't been that size since high school, I sold them to my friend Helmut Licht. They fit him perfectly and he wears a tux when he is playing with his Big Band, which is a 17 piece orchestra.

Gotta admit, though, you still clean up pretty darned good. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#437708 - 09/18/17 01:59 PM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Gotta admit, though, you still clean up pretty darned good. wink

Ditto!!!

chas

#437709 - 09/18/17 02:16 PM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Gary and chas ... thank you - not too bad for an OLD guy ...
Gary, I was actually a 44 long until the early 80's ... from 1976 to 1982 I was very much into running - 60 to 70 miles a week - ran NYC Marathon in '78,'79, '81 ... then foot surgery came along, had to stop running, but no one told me I also had to stop eating like I was still running 60 miles a week ... and the suit sizes slowly but surely started going up along with the weight ... All that running gave me a very strong heart, two new knees and the self satisfaction of completing the marathon three times ...

Steve ... I have a very good friend in Rhode Island ( wink ) who told me all about the Pro12 app ... he even helped me set it up !!! ... it's good to have a good friend in RI ... grin

#437711 - 09/18/17 03:24 PM Re: I went "Old School" Saturday - [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary and chas ... thank you - not too bad for an OLD guy ...

Tony I think that should read one classy old guy!
John C.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online