SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#436159 - 08/17/17 11:24 AM so, what about this Casio MZ X500?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
I think I red a while ago that one or two members here tried this keyboard before. But have not heard anything more about this.

How come? Is this a bad keyboard? Sub-par? What is missing? On the paper looks actually quite nice.

No one else uses it?

#436160 - 08/17/17 11:30 AM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: adimatis]
Dnj Offline

#436162 - 08/17/17 01:00 PM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Incredible features, and the best interface of all arrangers, ... the pads add a lot...

However, builquallity including keybed is lackluster, and soundquallity of many sounds (some soundgroups are okay) is atleast a decade behind the main brands.

It however seems quite popular in Asia..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#436179 - 08/17/17 08:26 PM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

However, builquallity including keybed is lackluster, and soundquallity of many sounds (some soundgroups are okay) is atleast a decade behind the main brands.

So, Bachus........do you have a Casio that you recommend. In the next few weeks, I'm going to Sam Ash again. They have almost all the models on display for audition. I tried them all and LIKED them all. I'm just wondering how they would be after a lot of usage. I just need a knock-around lightweight portable......no bells and whistles.

Mark

#436186 - 08/17/17 09:36 PM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Bachus

So, Bachus........do you have a Casio that you recommend. In the next few weeks, I'm going to Sam Ash again. They have almost all the models on display for audition. I tried them all and LIKED them all. I'm just wondering how they would be after a lot of usage. I just need a knock-around lightweight portable......no bells and whistles.

Mark

Actualy the casio px-5s offers the best experience, because ithink the casio lightweight piano keybed is rather good. And of decent quallity, and it offers some very decent piano, organ and synth sound. Sadly it does not have the touchscreen...

The fact that it does not have any styles but has arpeggiators and other things makes it even better, i have yet to hear a casio style onpar with korg, ketron and yamaha.

But compact and leightweight, th mzx500 is the best casio has to offer, In the same price range i would prefer a roland ea7, yamaha psr s770 or even the korg pa600.. but that would be mostly personal preference...and me being spoiled by the kronos and the pa4x..

I seriously cant advise any lower end casio’s because they dont really interest me..nor do i have any experience with them over a long periode of time.. so. Ant amswer the longlevity.. in general tough lightweight, cheap and buildquallity domt really go hand in hand.

Edited by Bachus (08/17/17 09:39 PM)

#436189 - 08/17/17 10:27 PM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks Bachus......I read everything you wrote.

I tried that PX-5s twice and each time I walked away from it not liking the sound and thinking the keys feel too plastic.

I think the best thing to do is to go to SA and try them all again. I remember playing one that sounded good, felt good, and weighed not more than the price tag attached to it. And the price was appx $500. For that kind of money you can buy a dozen and give them out as door prizes and keep a few for yourself for when your own breaks down after a month.

Seriously, I'll post after I've tried them again. It's hard to find a piano and especially one in tune on the job these days. I'd be happy if I could just walk in with a portable Casio tucked under my arm and a 2 oz beach chair to sit on. Otherwise I might have to actually learn my PA3x!

Mark

#436190 - 08/17/17 10:27 PM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: adimatis]
adimatis Offline

Have you seen this...? interestingly, I think I like the more "raw"sound of Casio... Sounds less polished, but not bad I thought.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmw_nKVhy8c

#436383 - 08/22/17 10:24 AM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: adimatis]
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
I've owned the MZX-500 since its release. I've spent a considerable amount of time using the keyboard, and have delved quite deeply into its features. My initial review was quite positive, and I still hold to much of it, but I'll update my opinion after having it for some time now.

In terms of the features, I'd say the MZX-500 is pretty amazing. You get a 128 note sound engine, and the very impressive ability to create tones with up to six layers using the Hex Layer feature. Plus you can edit each layer individually. It samples directly, loads samples, can record audio, has a 16 (+1) track sequencer (Casio calls it 17 tracks), you can edit the preset styles (or create originals from scratch, sliders for organ drawbars (which also double for other editing features). The board in general is just very indepth.

The sounds are a mixed bag. Some are quite good, and some are just ok. The Pianos are certainly an improvement over past Casio's.., HOWEVER.., I feel it's important to note that ALL of the pianos still greatly suffer IMO from Casio's common problem of poor decay, too short sustain, very short samples, and REALLY obvious looping resulting from the short samples.

What I find is a big problem is that many of the sounds on their own do quite well. However, it's when you put them in a mix that you start to notice the shortcuts and corner cutting with the sound engine. Many instruments suffer from very poor sample stretching, and very inconsistent vibratos (even with sounds played within their proper note range). When you mix various sounds in a song, what I find is that these issues conflict with each other and don't sound very polished. It's not to say the sounds are bad..., it's just that Casio still has some work to do. I will applaud them though in that they've now included "Mega Like" voices.

My biggest issue with the MZX-500 has to do with the keys. The overall construction of the keyboard isn't bad. The keys however IMO are just down right awful for the price you pay. I cannot believe that Casio would use such a cheap quality set of keys on a keyboard that's supposed to be one of their flagships. This is actually my second MZX. My first unit developed a horrible key rattle issue. Mike Martin was on it though.., and quickly arranged a replacement for me.

However..., out of the box the new model "seemed" to be better. It wasn't long that I realized this is an issue across the board. The keys are so damn cheap..., ugh! The plastic is extremely thin, the lightest tap (after being broken in) results in a rattle. I kid you not.., the keys on my Korg MicroArranger are better. They might be small, but the action is consistent, the key material is thicker, and they're really quiet. I honestly cannot tell the difference between the keys on my MZX-500 and the $120 current Casio I bought for my kids.

Sqk

Edited by squeak_D (08/22/17 10:29 AM)
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#436387 - 08/22/17 10:37 AM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: adimatis]
Bachus Offline

Hex sound sounds amazing, 6 layers of sounds, untill you realise that any normal yamaha sound consists out of up to 8 layers... and a korg pa4x sound can even excist out of up to 18...

#436391 - 08/22/17 11:22 AM Re: so, what about this Casio MZ X500? [Re: adimatis]
adimatis Offline

Bachus, care to elaborate? I am not sure I understand what you mean by these 8 and 18 layers. Thanks!

Sqk, also for me the key feel it's important. I know what I'd like, but also know what I could live with. I know what I do not like.

Could you maybe, if you have the right experience, tell me what of these would you consider to be close to the key feel of X500...?

1. Roland E-A7
2. Roland XP 60
3. Roland E60
4. Korg Pa50
5. Korg Pa600
6. Korg Pa3x (well...)
7. Yamaha S970
8. M-Audio Keystation 61

These are the keyboards I played and sort of remember how they feel like. Some I liked, some were ok, some I hated. smile

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online