SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#435119 - 07/28/17 05:07 AM The future of the Arranger
Bachus Offline

I actually think the arranger has a future in workstations and software for keyboardists..

http://keyszone.boards.net/thread/382/arranger-future

Thats why i wrote the following editorial on Keyszone...

An arranger for workstation people. Let me start with saying that i am a strong believer that many workstation owners dont see how an arranger section could be usefull to them. They get the shivers when they think of one finger accompanies combined with the typical ballroom and 30's swing styles. But when you look how many use the Motifs arps in more arranger typicall way, it makes you understand they have no clue what a typicall arranger can do for them

So my plan is to disguise the arranger into a beast that will feel like the next big thing in keyboardland.

Imagine 16 drum pads with 16 scene buttons (2 rows of 8) below the drumpads.
Meaning we have 16 scenes with each 16 arranger tracks.
An arranger track can either be a simple midi pattern or an audio loop.
But also a more advanced midi with different patterns for different chord types
And even an advanced audio file with different audio loops for different chord types.

A scene can be set to play once, play once and then play next scene, loop scene and other options
Inside the scene for each track you can choose the same options, so you could have a scene where just the drums and bass play looped while another drum pattern only plays once.
All tracks inside a scene can be of different lengths and even different patterns. So having a 4/4 and a 3/4 pattern in the same scene would work. The scene tough does have a main pattern.
You can offcourse also start/stop tracks manually by just pushing a drumpad in the selected scene. The patterns can start immediately, on the beat, or on the measure.. depending on settings.

There would be no, build in styles, only build in loops and riffs and patterns, allowing the workstation users to build their very own flexible backings. However there would be a few examples of styles.. and a downloadable database of styles created with these patterns. So people can fill up their own database based on needs and wants
Chord recognition would be a choice as with any current arranger these days, type and range can be set for this..
For each scene and even for each pattern in that scene, you can set if they will be following a recorded chord pattern. Or use the real time chord recognition.
You can also set a song progression, which says how many times what scenes and in which order are played.

( just to give an example, you could load in a midi file as a single or multiple scenes, have auto chord recognition, and have song progression set. This would play back the midi file as any midifile). Same goes for an audio file, thats a single scene with one pattern...divide it up into several scenes and you have your markers back...

Another example, you have a single scene, set for looping, drums, bass, guitar and piano channels set for auto looping and auto start. Now this would be like a variation 1 with only 4 tracks. The other 12 tracks could be used as multipads, switch on on the beat and loop for a midipatter, or switch on and single shot immediately for an audio file with applause.

Another huge thing would be an option while looping for example scene 2 to allready start the drum pattern of scene 3(by keeping the scene button pressed and then selecting the drumpad representative for the drumtrack, replacing the drums of scene 2 with the drums of scene 3)

You could also import a standard style of any brand and load it. Making 3 scenes for intro(play once jump to programmed scene. 4 scenes for variation, 4 scenes for fills, 3 scenes for ending(play once and stop) and even 2 scenes left for breaks (play once and return to previous scene)

In my vision this engine would offer anything a pro musician needs as backings.. if you have 2 "arrangers" you could even mix between them.. 2 flexible arrangers, where now some keyboards have 2 players. Just combine this with a controll section like the Kronos has (9 sliders, 16 switches, 8 knobs) and 8 or 16 parts for keyboardsounds including advanced arpegiators for each of them.. with seamless soundswitching and you have the performance workstation of the future.

(What i did is actually combining ableton live with an audio capable arranger..and some other features, its something i have been saying for years now. Its good to see Ketron taking a step into this direction with their latest launch-pads feature, but thats still far from what i described above)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#435120 - 07/28/17 05:16 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Great article very insightful,....but I think a you-tube demo of what your talking about would speak volumes.
I don't know about others but personally I got lost in it's complexity after the second paragraph,...sorry.
Good luck

Edited by Dnj (07/28/17 05:18 AM)

#435123 - 07/28/17 06:23 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Great article very insightful,....but I think a you-tube demo of what your talking about would speak volumes.
I don't know about others but personally I got lost in it's complexity after the second paragraph,...sorry.
Good luck

Good advice...

But how to make a youtube demo of something that is only real inside my dreams?

#435128 - 07/28/17 06:43 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: Bachus]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I wish I had a crystal ball. Let me begin by letting you know I agree with everything you said. Arrangers are complex machines disguised as musical instruments. They come in many shapes and forms... some only existing as software, waiting to be taken out of the box. All are useful in the right hands.

Many of you are talented musicians, vocalists and performers. The beauty of the Arranger is it's elegant variety and the fact that "one finger" johnnies can even use one to make or even create music.

I have no desire to perform. As a songwriter, I do my best to let the arranger provide the backing for whatever I happen to be creating. I'm not genre specific and I love the endless variety of instruments, choirs, symphony orchestras or simple guitar accompaniments available to choose from.

As you know, Styles and Multi-Pads make all this possible. I do my best to tweak the style, change the tempo, find a great "Intro" or "Outro" for the song (since I can't play due to arthritic hands and lack of proper training) and enjoy that challenge. I also know that at least half my little songs end up as miserable failures. Failure is only evidence that we try.

Songwriters for the most part do not know about or have a clue of all the features available to them in these wonderful devices. I use a Yamaha PSR-S910 and spend hours each day doing my best to "get things right."

Sadly, even if I were to create a masterpiece in some arcane popular genre they seem to invent everyday, my chances of commercial success are less than winning the lottery. Knowing this is the case only provides more impetus in creating new songs. Being relegated to a "hobbyist" is reward enough for me.

I cannot say enough good things about my admiration for those Arranger users who entertain crowds or small venues on a nightly basis (like Don Mason or Donnie... sorry, I can't name all of you) but I hope you get my drift. You guys are performers. I will never have your artistry or panache. I only aspire to create something you might hear somewhere and decide to perform for your audience or venue.

Salud Amigos.... ----Dave Rice

#435132 - 07/28/17 07:13 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: Bachus]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Let’s keep things simple and basic for some of us. The less complicated, the better----at least for me.

#435133 - 07/28/17 07:35 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: J. Larry]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By J. Larry
Let’s keep things simple and basic for some of us. The less complicated, the better----at least for me.

ditto wink

#435134 - 07/28/17 07:47 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: Dnj]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
ME TOO

#435137 - 07/28/17 08:54 AM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: J. Larry]
Bachus Offline

Its not the point changing how arrangers work...

Its about making the same technollogy fit for workstations...

(Altough, I just read the manual of the SD9 by Ketron and was surprised how much of all of this is actually in the new launch pad feature, while the styles still work as allways)

#435156 - 07/28/17 12:00 PM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: J. Larry]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Dave I really enjoy reading your down-to-earth post. When you have the time please post again.

John C.

#435172 - 07/28/17 05:00 PM Re: The future of the Arranger [Re: Bachus]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi John: (bruno123)

Thanks for commenting on my thoughts. I visit this forum often but don't comment often since most of the "guys in the club" are real keyboard players/performers. I've owned three Arrangers since my introduction to them by a songwriting actor and friend several years ago.

I started with a Yamaha PSR-2000, briefly tried a Mini-Korg and eventually acquired a PSR-S910. I stuck with Yamaha because it makes collaboration easier (although I prefer writing songs on my own) and the learning curve with each new Yamaha model is not quite as steep for an old geezer like me.

I'll be looking in on you guys as often as time permits. Can't wait to get my hands on a PSR-S970 after it's replacement arrives. (I'm on a pretty severe budget... LOL!)

Before I forget, earlier this year I had an album's worth of my original songs demoed by a guy who uses Band-in-a-Box to produce affordable, high quality demos at affordable rates. I was blown away by his ability to produce, record and vocalize my songs.

One of my greatest weaknesses is my lack of serious vocal ability and so, it was good to hear how my songs sounded when "covered" by someone else. Although I am an ASCAP songwriter and publisher, I don't spend much time "pitching" my songs to the music business these days. I've always believed that a great song will practically "Sell itself" by going viral in today's media. (Obviously, I have not made it to that level!)

Regards, ----Dave Rice

Edited by Riceroni9 (07/28/17 05:02 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online