SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#430241 - 03/30/17 09:58 PM fingers are hurting - need advice
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
For about 3 weeks now, my fingers are very painful from overuse on the piano and from typing on the computer keyboard too much. Also, I have "trigger finger" in my left pinky/left hand. This is the finger that takes the most pressure from piano playing. The finger snaps open from a "closed" position" instead of opening slowly.

I can't play the piano at all without aggravating it and typing anything is a near no-no! Never dealt with anything like this before. Can't play and can't type as of now.

Does anyone have suggestions on what to do and what I'm up against? Called my doctor today and he doesn't really care. Brushed me off with a throwaway answer. No recommendation on taking an anti-inflammatory, or Ibuprofen, etc.

Going to call my chiropractor tomorrow but I'm not hopeful he'll know what to do.

I'm real concerned that this, together with my torn rotator cuff, could be the end of playing for me.

Mark

#430247 - 03/31/17 03:11 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Regarding Typing on computer one suggestin...there a number of programs that enables you to speak and it will auto type the words...SPEACH TO TEXT

Edited by Graham UK (03/31/17 03:16 AM)

#430250 - 03/31/17 03:40 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Whats important every time you plan to play piano is to build up slowly with finger excersises..

All you can do now, if give your fingers some serious rest, and after that start slowly, building up strength again..

I have been trough this when i moved from synthkeybed to a pianokeybed... but the last few years i have been fine... but back then it was mostly the pinky on my right hand, often using it to play the solo on top of a chord with the other fingers...

If it continous, you could allways switch back to unweighted keys...

And another thing, get rid of the doctor that does not care..

Edited by Bachus (03/31/17 03:42 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#430255 - 03/31/17 05:28 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
Stephenm52 Offline

I have had occurences of trigger finger on my right hand middle finger smile maybe too many signals to crazy drivers? All kidding aside I went to an Orthopedic doctor., he gave me one shot and said a second may be needed, it was. I went back for a 2nd shot and that solved it for the last year. The bad news it's coming back, I'll try another shot, if not there is a minor surgery performed in the doc's office. The good news is playing the keys whether on piano, the arranger or the computer keeps it moving and seems to be therapeutic for it. When it really acts up it's overnight while sleeping/clenching my fist.

#430264 - 03/31/17 08:53 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Mark ... Like me, you may be experiencing arthritis pain ... ibuprofen will help - I take 1 - 2 800mg each day ... sometimes I wake up and find I have been sleeping with my hand under my head, or with a clenched fist, or turned wrist, all which will result in pain ...
You might also want to check this out:
http://www.healthline.com/health/osteoarthritis/arthritis-hand-exercises#overview1

#430266 - 03/31/17 09:17 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

as gary always says getting old aint for whimps lol....go see your doctor..good luck

#430269 - 03/31/17 09:28 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Hi guys....I came online just to check for replies....and you gave me a few to work with. Fingers continue to hurt......have to type lightly and very slowly. I don't think it's arthritis because 10 fingers equal 10 joints.....would be unusual to have each joint go at the same time. Definitely NO piano and I have an extremely important piano job next thursday....can't practice. Panic is at my doorstep. later will digest what you wrote here and regroup myself.

Yes, I'm thinking about another doctor after 40 years with this one. things change and people change including doctors.

one more thing.....i called the pharmacist for my prescription.....cost: $2,500. I fainted...I asked her again...some medications can cost that much.....translates to better have good medical coverage or don't get sick!!!!!!!!

She said Motrin, etc will do the same thing. bad enough you've got the medical condition.....then you have to fight your way through the whole medical system and pretty much make your own decisions on what to do. Who do you trust when your own doctor writes out a prescription for you over the phone for a "designer" drug without even examining your hands!

Mark

#430270 - 03/31/17 09:37 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Trigger Finger is a form of tendonitus, which can be treated surgically, but that surgery does not have a very high success rate.

Mark, you may be experiencing Raynaud's Syndrome, which essentially results from abusing the hands and fingers. Construction workers frequently get this, mainly from hammering nails all day long, running jack hammers, and other tools that have a repitative impact to the hands and fingers. Essentially, the small blood vessels in the hands and fingers are shutting down, therefore, people that live in colder climates tend to suffer most from Raynaud's Syndrome. Other factors that compound the problem include smoking, which also causes blood vessels to constrict, particularly in the hands and feet.

There is no treatment for Raynaud's Syndrome that I am aware of other than soaking your hands in a basin of warm water and not repeating the process that triggers the disease whenever possible. I know many piano players that have experienced this and some can no longer play the piano without experiencing severe pain. Physicians may prescribe a regiment of steroids such as Prednisone to decrease any associated inflamation caused by Raynaud's and, or tendonitus trigger finger. Keep in mind, though, that the steroids have some very serious side effects associated with them as well, the least of which can be the destruction of your immune system.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#430271 - 03/31/17 09:39 AM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: Mark79100]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I have a friend who has one of the strains of Hepatitis - her liver was seriously affected ... She was on a pill that cost $1000 EACH ... but she no longer has the Hep ...

As for the piano job, stay off the piano for a couple of days, then perhaps do some finger exercises and maybe practice a little bit on Tuesday ... I would think that with your ability and experience you will get through the gig with no problems - other than perhaps some pain/discomfort ... BUT REMEMBER - I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV ... wink

#430276 - 03/31/17 12:20 PM Re: fingers are hurting - need advice [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Age and piano playing...a rough combination. I have to add upright bass (worse than all other instruments) and guitar.

I'm on borrowed time. The pain is intense. Playing music is heavenly.

When my left arm tendon is completely stretched out, I'm done.
It will be a sad day, but I'll be eternally grateful for the chance to make music a major part of my life.

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online