SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#430446 - 04/05/17 03:38 PM No charge for this information.
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
As some of you know, I always insist on playing in stereo, using two powered speakers.
There are several reasons for this, but not the least is that you always have a backup in place should one fail.
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I suspect it was my own fault. As I was leaving the bandstand one night my foot caught on one of the power cables connecting a speaker and I sort of jerked it pretty hard.
The next night when I plugged it in, there was no power. I jiggled the cable and got it come on. It worked fine all night. I forgot about it. The next night it wouldn't come on and never did. I plugged both right and left outputs into the remaining Maui 5 and no one but me knew the difference.
I called the dealer where I bought it and they immediately opened a web page with LD Systems where we could all communicate. They emailed a UPS pickup sticker to me and I shipped it the next day. Each step of the way, they kept me updated on the private web page. I shipped it on a Tuesday; they got it in New Jersey on Friday. They opened it and said it was a minor electrical problem and that it was ready to ship back but they wanted to leave it powered up for a while to be certain nothing else was wrong. I'm sure I could have opened it and repaired it myself but didn't want to risk voiding the warranty.
They shipped it back Tuesday and I will receive it Friday. No charge to me at all. I've had it for a year, but the warranty is for two years.
I bought the two Maui 5s from a company called KOPDJ, because at the time Frank didn't have any in stock and neither did any of the dealers I've used in the past. I had sold my two Bose speakers and had to have these immediately. They made a great price, similar to Frank, but I thought to myself I was taking a chance because I already know how great Frank's service is!
Anyway, they came through for me, and I can't say enough good things about LD Systems service and warranty!
Despite all this rambling, the point is: ALWAYS have a backup for everything! If I had had a conventional amplifier/speaker setup or just one powered speaker, I would have been out $300. not being able to work that night, and would have been scrambling for something to use the next night!
I also have two Lucas Nano 300s (which I DID get from Frank) just in case something horrible happened and I lost both Mauis, and also for rare occasions when I need two setups at the same time.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. That's an old insurance sales line, but it is true.
smile

#430452 - 04/05/17 06:41 PM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
^LIKE^ 👍

#430455 - 04/05/17 09:49 PM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Originally Posted By DonM
As some of you know, I always insist on playing in stereo, using two powered speakers.
There are several reasons for this, but not the least is that you always have a backup in place should one fail.
This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I suspect it was my own fault. As I was leaving the bandstand one night my foot caught on one of the power cables connecting a speaker and I sort of jerked it pretty hard.
The next night when I plugged it in, there was no power. I jiggled the cable and got it come on. It worked fine all night. I forgot about it. The next night it wouldn't come on and never did. I plugged both right and left outputs into the remaining Maui 5 and no one but me knew the difference.
I called the dealer where I bought it and they immediately opened a web page with LD Systems where we could all communicate. They emailed a UPS pickup sticker to me and I shipped it the next day. Each step of the way, they kept me updated on the private web page. I shipped it on a Tuesday; they got it in New Jersey on Friday. They opened it and said it was a minor electrical problem and that it was ready to ship back but they wanted to leave it powered up for a while to be certain nothing else was wrong. I'm sure I could have opened it and repaired it myself but didn't want to risk voiding the warranty.
They shipped it back Tuesday and I will receive it Friday. No charge to me at all. I've had it for a year, but the warranty is for two years.
I bought the two Maui 5s from a company called KOPDJ, because at the time Frank didn't have any in stock and neither did any of the dealers I've used in the past. I had sold my two Bose speakers and had to have these immediately. They made a great price, similar to Frank, but I thought to myself I was taking a chance because I already know how great Frank's service is!
Anyway, they came through for me, and I can't say enough good things about LD Systems service and warranty!
Despite all this rambling, the point is: ALWAYS have a backup for everything! If I had had a conventional amplifier/speaker setup or just one powered speaker, I would have been out $300. not being able to work that night, and would have been scrambling for something to use the next night!
I also have two Lucas Nano 300s (which I DID get from Frank) just in case something horrible happened and I lost both Mauis, and also for rare occasions when I need two setups at the same time.
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. That's an old insurance sales line, but it is true.
smile

Wisdom that only comes with age and experience.
TY Don

#430461 - 04/06/17 04:15 AM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Don

How would you compare the Bose, Nano, and Maui. Specifically, aside from connectivity, do either of the other two sound better than the Bose? Since I only use one Bose, it may be hard to compare.

#430462 - 04/06/17 04:58 AM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I was playing a wedding in a millionaire’s home. There were large tents filled with everything needed to make a successful party. I had a Fender Twin amp. and a PA system with an amp. with two columns.

As I plugged the Pa in the wall socket there was a flash and the PA head did not turn on. This next part could bring on a bit of anger. The electrical outlet was 250amp not 110amp. They had rewired the 250Amps supply with an 110amp outlet box.
There were two channels in my Fender Twin; I used one for my guitar and the other for the PA speakers. The extension speaker outlet on the Fender went to the speakers. It took a bit of playing with the volume controls – all went well.

In over 60 years of playing this was the only problem I ever had. I never carried two guitars, two guitar amps, or an additional PA. But Don’s wisdom is good. Today if I were playing the same type of jobs I would take some kind of precaution.

John C.

PS, The man who hired payed for the Amp. repair.

#430463 - 04/06/17 05:00 AM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Bernie9
Don

How would you compare the Bose, Nano, and Maui. Specifically, aside from connectivity, do either of the other two sound better than the Bose? Since I only use one Bose, it may be hard to compare.

I've used all three & also the (nano 600s too) on stage two at a time of course wink ,......IMO the nod goes to the LD Maui 5 sound wise for sure, better flexibility, inputs, etc,....
run two in stereo you wont be sorry and your audiences will love it. PS go for the LD factory covers also good quality,... Call Frank for great deals. And if you want to step up with the big boys get TWO LD Maui 28's simply Awesome!

Edited by Dnj (04/06/17 05:17 AM)

#430469 - 04/06/17 07:43 AM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I agree with DNJ. The Maui 5s are fantastic and have more lower end than the Bose.
The Nanos are great but don't project as far as the line array speakers.

#430472 - 04/06/17 08:26 AM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Tripped, you say? WELLLLL! That's the last time I'll ever ask YOU to dance...even if you let me lead!~

So there!

Russ (two left feet) Lay

#430475 - 04/06/17 11:03 AM Re: No charge for this information. [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
I agree with DNJ. The Maui 5s are fantastic and have more lower end than the Bose.
The Nanos are great but don't project as far as the line array speakers.

cool2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online