SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#428631 - 02/06/17 02:16 PM Playing for the competition
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
A group of fellow performers showed up today at a gig. These folks I've known for years but they also play many of the same venues I do.

I was a bit caught by surprise. I've listened in on maybe a part of a song from one of their gigs, but didn't stick around.

These folks stayed for the show and sat right up front. They also sang along, clapped and seemed to enjoy themselves.

I wasn't quite sure what go make of it all. I have heard that some of the AD's are telling folks that my show is one of the more popular...I count that as rumor.

In any case I got a lot of compliments from this group and it was good to see them even though I found myself more nervous than usual.

Interesting gig.

#428638 - 02/06/17 03:41 PM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: guitpic1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Nothing like playing for one's peers to keep you on your toes ... keys

#428641 - 02/06/17 04:24 PM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

^ For a moment there, Tony, I thought you'd written "playing for one's beers". smile

#428646 - 02/06/17 06:34 PM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Been there ... done that ... laugh2

#428653 - 02/07/17 02:02 AM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: tony mads usa]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
There was a time when competition made me freeze up. My group played for a Bank of America picnic; there were about 700 people. As we finished setting up I strapped on my guitar and looked up at a crowd of four deep – they had made a circle around us.

I went to play a chord on my guitar and stopped dead. Started again, the B3 came in with the drummer and my sax man started and the place went wild. When we were done they carried our instruments to the car.

I had a similar experience in a hotel in New York. I walked into a room of 125 people and froze – they were all black. Black people love music and they are good at it. Some of the best musicians I’ve heard were black. The place went wild. Their response to our music made us play like we have never played before.

Oh how we underestimate ourselves. Music does not have to be the best; it just has to be coming right from the middle of your heart.

Times were sooo good, John C.

#428659 - 02/07/17 08:39 AM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: bruno123]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
Playing like you never played before is much better than
playing like you've never played before
mel

#428660 - 02/07/17 08:50 AM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been scouted by the competition on many, many occasions, and most of the time it was for different reasons than most would have thought of. In my case, they were looking for someone to fill in for them while they went on extended vacations, or for medical reasons. Usually, after the job was over, they would approach me and ask if I were free to cover for them for such and such a date, which I always did my best to try to fit into my schedule. When I had health problems, they were able to do the same for me, for which I was very grateful.

On a few occasions, the AD or nite club owner wanted to know if I could do the job on a regular basis, but I always declined saying this was the other person's job and I'm just helping him or her out until they are well enough to return. In many instances, I gave the person I was filling in for the proceeds from the job so they had some cash to live on and help defray their medical expenses.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#428666 - 02/07/17 09:43 AM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Way to go, Gary. That's the ethical approach, on several levels.

the jazz community is small round here. Sometimes, I have the only available job; so I welcome others with similar likes and abilities.

Problem is, they either don't drink (usually, any more) or can't afford to, so the bar is a little light.

Over the years, I've played for most people who traveled through Lexington...everyone from Lou Rawls to Chick Corea, Natalie Cole, Michael McDonald, all of the Who and many others. 95% were pleasant. 1/3 sat in. Can name some notable jerks, but won't.

Never got very nervous at any time.

Russ

#428677 - 02/07/17 05:17 PM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I quite often see fellow musicians in the audience. Some are just there to eat, listen and/or celebrate some special occasion. Some are after my job and want to check me out. I don't get nervous; rather I am flattered.
We have lots of famous people come in when they are in town--not to see me but for the food.
I have played in front of Brooks and Dunn, Joe Stampley, Willie Nelson, Terry Bradshaw (he is actually a good singer and cut some albums back in the 70's), Hank Thompson, The Coasters, Brenda Lee, Merle Haggard and Bonnie Owens, and several hard rock bands that I don't remember their names.
I have discreetly invited most of them to sing and some have. I did an entire night with Bonnie Owens singing harmony with me! I played MANY nights with James Burton as "my" guitar player! He just loves to play and seldom passes up an opportunity. Hank Thompson sang a set with me and was at least impressed that I knew and could play all his songs.
I know I'm leaving a lot of names out but the point is that they are people just like us, and they love to make music. They are not expecting to hear perfect in a nightclub, and I can assure you they don't when they hear me!
Competition no longer bothers me because I really don't care too much any more if I lose my job! That would make more time for fishin'! Actually I need to be able to take off more for things like Gary's Jam, or vacations. With the exception of when I was in the hospital, I haven't had more than a few days off at a time for MANY years. Musicians at my level don't get paid when they take off! Don't get paid all that much when they work either! smile

#428678 - 02/07/17 06:47 PM Re: Playing for the competition [Re: guitpic1]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I'll take that as a "Yes". DonM will be at the Jam. smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online