SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#319746 - 03/21/11 06:15 AM PSR3000 Display Fault
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
Last night the right-hand edge of my PSR3000 display went blank for a while and later came back. I'm guessing this is a loose connection so I'll be opening up to invesigate at some point.

But could it be internal to the display, in which case I'll be investigating spares / repair availability here in the UK!

Anyone else had this problem / got any ideas?

Thanks

John

#319760 - 03/21/11 08:01 AM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: MacAllcock]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The display is surrounded by four, tiny, florescent lights. Sounds as if one of them is going bad. Unfortunately, the lights are built into the display and cannot be replaced individually.

Sorry about the bad news,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#319763 - 03/21/11 08:38 AM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: MacAllcock]
Dnj Offline

Gary is correct.. here is Yamaha parts & service info..if you want to save and replace it yourself..

https://www.yamaha24x7.com/yamahaoms/QuickOrder.aspx

Edited by Dnj (03/21/11 08:40 AM)

#319787 - 03/21/11 12:57 PM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: Dnj]
MacAllcock Offline

Ho hum.

I might still whizz the lid off just because I can, I'll just have to see how things go!

Thanks for the info.

Edited by MacAllcock (03/21/11 12:57 PM)

#319789 - 03/21/11 01:16 PM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: MacAllcock]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
John,

The only part that is difficult is making sure to first remove the Smart Media Card reader and slip it inside the case before opening. The connection is very short to the reader and it's easy to damage if you overlook that step.

The lamps on the display are soldered directly to the display, and the culprit may be nothing more than a cold solder joint--seen a fair number of them over the years. It takes a bit of fines to get to the display board because of the location, but once accessed you could easily resolder the connections.

If the display itself is going south, the cost of replacement is quite high. Some folks have merely connected a portable DVD player to the keyboard's video output and used that for their display.

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#319850 - 03/22/11 06:38 AM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: travlin'easy]
MacAllcock Offline

Gary

Thanks for the tip, I'll be proceeding with extreme caution!

I'll probably have a look this weekend.

#320004 - 03/24/11 02:08 AM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: MacAllcock]
MacAllcock Offline

So, having proceeded with extreme caution and after removing the smartmedia reader first (thanks) I'm still only halfway down the circuit boards, I'll get all the way in eventually....

However the fault is now intermittent! BUT if I press even slightly on the top right of the LCD display, the fault returns. As the pressure involved is very little I feel this suggests an internal LCD issue.

There will be a further bulletin after this evenings surgery!

#320065 - 03/24/11 02:57 PM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: MacAllcock]
MacAllcock Offline

So, have got the LCD out and... the only mildly suspicious cable is the ribbon cable that goes across the back and loops round into a ribbon cable edge connector. So I loosened the clamp, waggled it a bit, replaced, re-assembled the thing,and the LCD is now OK. Still goes dodgy if I press top right so I suspect I've actually made no real difference!

I'll see how this goes in the next few weeks.

Thanks again for the help.

#320088 - 03/24/11 07:43 PM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: MacAllcock]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Patient complains to Doctor: "It hurts when I do this"
Doctor replies: "Then stop doing it"...
Sooooooo... Stop pushing top right of LCD screen. grin

Seriously I also previously experienced an LCD outage and with Gary's help and a flashlight we determined it was the bulbs. If you can see a display with a flashlight, then it indeed is the bulbs, or loose solder joints, or in your case perhaps a loose ribbon cable, In my case the display was fixed along with a motherboard replacement through Yamaha.

Good luck...hope it keeps on a workin'

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#321211 - 04/08/11 09:14 AM Re: PSR3000 Display Fault [Re: lahawk]
MacAllcock Offline

Think I'm going for the external small monitor option, my fault has reverted back to "normally there, occasionally not" mode.

For those who are interested, the OEM part number on the back of the LCD module is "ARIMA Display Corp mc57t02E". I can find this in the UK for a mere £400 (makes Yamaha look cheap!) or from a hong-kong supplier on eBay for about £100 + postage, trouble is the picture they've got may have the same part number but the connector looks different. Therefore not worth the risk given that I can get a small TFT monitor for less than that today from a local supplier and ergonimocally moving the display to somewhere nearer my eyeline has a certain appeal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online