SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#426683 - 10/05/16 05:28 AM Rediscovering 'old' keyboards
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Although I never really warmed up to it from the beginning (@ 5yrs ago), and haven't touched it in several years (I mostly just play the organ), I have recently started to again play around with my Fantom G7 workstation. I think this might have been prompted by Bachus's frequent references and obvious enthusiasm for his Korg Kronos, a keyboard I've always had an interest in (going back to it's predecessor, the Oasis) but never got around to purchasing.

The two things that jumped out at me were the quality of the sounds and the depth of the sound editing. It soon became obvious that one would never see the true potential of this board without some serious study. Making a project out of learning a keyboard such as this in depth is so much more rewarding that sitting around waiting on the next football game smile. I'll use this board to try to learn the subtleties of sampling and sound editing. Gotta do something to keep the brain stimulated in old age smile.

chas

#426685 - 10/05/16 05:37 AM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Chas here is a wonderful set of Proaudiodvds instructional courses for the Fanthom G7 etc, by David Wells,.....I have personally used them for many other types of recording gear well worth the few bucks and is done in an easy to learn way, highly recommended you'll come away really leaning the keyboard money well spent... cool2

http://proaudiodvds.com/store/keyboards-synthesizers/roland-fantom-s-dvd-tutorial/

Edited by Dnj (10/05/16 05:38 AM)

#426724 - 10/05/16 07:23 PM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Thanks Donny, the vids are very good and simplify a lot of things on the 'g'. Still, it takes a lot of time and study to master everything this board can do. BUT---better to have too much than too little. I wonder how it stacks up against the Kronos with each in the hands of a 'master'. Probably not as good but might be competitive in some areas such as classic synth sounds. Sadly, I'm not a big fan of those.

chas

#426730 - 10/05/16 09:51 PM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Although I never really warmed up to it from the beginning (@ 5yrs ago), and haven't touched it in several years (I mostly just play the organ), I have recently started to again play around with my Fantom G7 workstation. I think this might have been prompted by Bachus's frequent references and obvious enthusiasm for his Korg Kronos, a keyboard I've always had an interest in (going back to it's predecessor, the Oasis) but never got around to purchasing.

The two things that jumped out at me were the quality of the sounds and the depth of the sound editing. It soon became obvious that one would never see the true potential of this board without some serious study. Making a project out of learning a keyboard such as this in depth is so much more rewarding that sitting around waiting on the next football game smile. I'll use this board to try to learn the subtleties of sampling and sound editing. Gotta do something to keep the brain stimulated in old age smile.

chas

I am happy my enthousiasme inspired you, and you are having fun...

The Fantom G is from the same era as the Roland G70, and i am still wondering why Roland ever left the high end market if they could make those incredible keyboards like 10 years ago... enjoy your adventure, and if you ever get a chance, add an ARX-3 board, thats the Brass board, its incredible...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#426737 - 10/06/16 05:00 AM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Thanks Donny, the vids are very good and simplify a lot of things on the 'g'. Still, it takes a lot of time and study to master everything this board can do. BUT---better to have too much than too little. I wonder how it stacks up against the Kronos with each in the hands of a 'master'. Probably not as good but might be competitive in some areas such as classic synth sounds. Sadly, I'm not a big fan of those.

chas

Good luck Chas the David Wells DVDS are worth their weight in gold,...keep us posted on your progress.
The Fanthom is an awesome workstation still used by many pros on stage..

#426769 - 10/07/16 02:27 AM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: cgiles]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Sadly, I'm not a big fan of those.

chas

Herbie Hancock and Chick Correa made those classic analog synths really sing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eJJUlCHcKg

#426800 - 10/07/16 01:57 PM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: Nigel]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Chick on Rhodes ... still my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_OEJ0wqt2g

#426803 - 10/07/16 03:00 PM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Saw the last performance of the original Return to Forever at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington in 1976. Warm up was Ramsey Lewis.

Chick and crew came to the after hours place I played...sort of a musicians hole in the wall with great breakfast.

Al showed me his 175, and I put the same pickups in an old 52 ES 295...ruined the value, but sounds GREAT.

In recent years, an acquaintance has been playing the Ponty parts with chick at some top shelf gigs. His name is Zack Brock. Watch for him. He's GREAT!

R.

BTW, wouldn't have parted with the Suitcase for anyone else. I know you "do it proud".

Edited by captain Russ (10/07/16 03:02 PM)

#426807 - 10/07/16 03:46 PM Re: Rediscovering 'old' keyboards [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

cool2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online