SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#426456 - 09/26/16 08:23 AM JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star
Dnj Offline

cool2

#426459 - 09/26/16 01:27 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Well, now I'm disappointed - I was expecting to see DNJ doing this on his new PA4X keyboard. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#426460 - 09/26/16 01:58 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gary I don't think anyone here plays such intricate chords changes certainly not me although I always wanted to and I enjoy watching someone who does, just trying to learn a few things here and there from it as I continue my musical journey.I hope you learned a few things also.

All The Best

dp

#426461 - 09/26/16 02:27 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I do play these type of chord changes -- only because of my guitar background. Twinkle Twinkle was the first song my jazz teacher and I worked on.

I do add some substitute chords on the keyboard, but not often. Arranger keyboards do not handle more than two chords in a measure well.
John C.

#426463 - 09/26/16 03:51 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I envy people who can play like that ... unfortunately, at this point in my life, I do not want to devote the time necessary to learn that much ... I hope 'boo; saw that video ...

#426464 - 09/26/16 03:57 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Very nice educational video. This is an example of what separates an amateur's sound from a pro's. I know that Russ can play these changes, so could your late friend Joe Aiello (SP?), and of course, Rory. All it takes is patience, a willingness to learn, and practice, practice, practice. Nice demo, Donny. And the guy does a nice job of simplifying it.

chas

Oh, and BTW. How about them Eagles!

Edited by cgiles (09/26/16 04:00 PM)

#426466 - 09/26/16 04:00 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... don't be so modest ... I'm sure you play changes like that also ...

#426467 - 09/26/16 04:12 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Only if I learned it from a written transcription, Tony. As Russ will tell you, the (mostly untrained) jazz organist whose styles I've tried to emulate, went in a totally different direction when it came to chord changes, phrasing, substitutions, turnarounds, etc., etc. Listen to some old classic stuff by Don Patterson, Johnny 'Hammond' Smith, Groove Holmes, Charlie Earland, Brother Jack McDuff, 'Dr' Lonnie Smith, etc. Totally different approach from their pianistic brothers.

chas

#426468 - 09/26/16 04:24 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Thanx Chas & All....I'd love to also hear anyone here use these kind of chords changes during style play on an arranger keyboard just to hear how the arranger style and bass line follows the player using difficult jazz Chords...that would be a very interesting demo.....anyone?

#426469 - 09/26/16 05:37 PM Re: JAZZING UP Twinkle Twinkle Little Star [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I always play using extended chords, bi tonal chords, substitute chords, circle of fifths, passing chords, and suspended chords..
This is how I was trained as a teenager, jazz accordionist..

It is second nature to me, I don't even think about it, it is normal progressions to me..

My advanced study in my late teens, early 20's, was two hand voicing on piano, whereas the chords were close harmony on the accordion , ninths, sometimes 11ths.
Left hand accordion is based on circle of fifths..

Auto arranger does not work unless you program styles with the above voicing.
I have some styles that are composed this way, but all will depend on two hand voicing in piano mode..

If you are a one finger or triad player...forgettaboutit. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online