SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#419758 - 04/13/16 09:18 AM Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Recently, I ran across a 2004 YouTube concert film of Boz Skaggs. GREAT! His long-time back-up singer, Monet KICKS ASS and is fun to watch.

He has always been known for hiring the best players in the business and, boy, does it show! He's also known for letting the music stand on it's own, with minimal efforts to be flip and to entertain with jokes, tricks, etc. I can relate to that.

I've played Lido Shuffle, We're All Alone, Love, Look what you've Done to Me (written in I day with David Foster) and others.

To me, this guy is proof you can write and perform great material YOUR WAY.

I saw a special several weeks ago with Boz, Donald Fagen and Michael McDonald...similar talents, who have made significant
contributions, both individually, and now, together to the American collection of quality pop music of substance.

I relate to these guys and play tunes written and recorded by all of them. (Not sure about the writing part-McDonald).

If you haven't, check Boz' material out....particularly, that 2004 concert. It's delightful. And, at over 70 years old, he's still sounding, performing and writing GREAT STUFF!

Really inspiring!

Russ Lay

Edited by captain Russ (04/13/16 02:10 PM)

#419763 - 04/13/16 10:06 AM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ ... I've always considered Boz one of the most underrated singers of his time ...

#419777 - 04/13/16 02:39 PM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boz does have a great voice, but my audiences wouldn't recognize any of his sings, so I've never tried to perform them.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#419779 - 04/13/16 03:27 PM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: travlin'easy]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
I don't do any of his tunes either but am very familiar with him. He is from my neck of the woods. Him and Steve Miller both from the Milwaukee/Madison Wi. Area.
Always enjoyed his talents. And Steve Millers best stuff imo was all his earlier works while Boz was still with him

#419782 - 04/13/16 05:00 PM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: captain Russ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
........and speaking of Boz Scaggs in my opinion one of the best concerts I attended was one called "The NY Rock and Soul Review" it was recorded live at The Beacon in NYC in 1991. Didn't catch the concert at The Beacon, but later that year they did the same performace at the former Tweeter Center in Mansfield, Ma. The album/CD is same as was done live after all these years It's still one of my all time favorite albums. Musicians on the recording were

Boz Scaggs
Michael McDonald
Donald Fagen
Phoebe Snow
Charles Brown
Eddie and David Brigati

Here's a You Tube video, there's more vids of the concert on the You Tube page

Drowning In The Sea of Love Boz Scaggs Vocal from NYC Rock n Soul Review

Edited by Stephenm52 (04/13/16 05:39 PM)
Edit Reason: correct spelling

#419809 - 04/14/16 08:10 AM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

#419818 - 04/14/16 09:36 AM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Can't believe no one does his material. Silk Degrees was one of the biggest albums of it's era, and many of his tunes, including the one he wrote with David Foster were movie theme tunes.

Not the easiest to play, but really cool.

Gary it's hard for me to believe that any audience would not recognize some of his biggest tunes.

Why not take a look?

Russ

#419819 - 04/14/16 09:54 AM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: captain Russ]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I do hart of mine. people like boz songs got a cult following

#419820 - 04/14/16 10:02 AM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I always liked his music. He uses some of best musicians in the business for sure. Here's an article in which Boz Scaggs talks about his affiliation with pop/rock session drumming great, Jeff Pocaro.

http://www.bozscaggs.org/tributetojeffporcaro.htm

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#419825 - 04/14/16 11:26 AM Re: Anybody play Boz Skaggs tunes? [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Can't believe no one does his material. Silk Degrees was one of the biggest albums of it's era, and many of his tunes, including the one he wrote with David Foster were movie theme tunes.

Not the easiest to play, but really cool.

Gary it's hard for me to believe that any audience would not recognize some of his biggest tunes.

Why not take a look?

Russ

No longer a problem, Russ. Remember, I just retired. And for the first time in 30 years, all my gear is out of the van and in the office. Who knows, maybe I'll sit down at the keyboard and learn a couple of his songs.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online