SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#418333 - 03/15/16 07:31 PM OT? Can I cut an unneeded monitor cable?
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
I use a small monitor with a Ketron Midjay Plus. It has a standard VGA connection that I use to connect to the Plus. It also has a separate USB connector and cable that I never use. Can I lop off the USB cable without effecting the functionality of the VGA fed monitor, and thereby eliminate 4ft. of unneeded and unsightly cable? Thanks.
Ciao,
Jerry

#418335 - 03/15/16 09:26 PM Re: OT? Can I cut an unneeded monitor cable? [Re: Jerry T]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't care, go ahead. smile
Seriously, I can't see what it would hurt if you never plan to use the USB hookup. It wouldn't have a function other than as an input.
Of course I've never tried it and have nothing to lose!

#418338 - 03/15/16 10:27 PM Re: OT? Can I cut an unneeded monitor cable? [Re: Jerry T]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
Short answer is yes, you can remove the cable, by cutting it off, ensure that none of the cables are left touching each other on the cut section. The USB is usually used on a laptop for low graphic usage and not intended for high graphic usage like a VGA or HDMI or even a DVI connector uses through a graphics card.
These are very very rarely used at all these days as laptops have their own quality graphics cards built in.

Allan

#418343 - 03/16/16 01:43 AM Re: OT? Can I cut an unneeded monitor cable? [Re: Jerry T]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Jerry T
I use a small monitor with a Ketron Midjay Plus. It has a standard VGA connection that I use to connect to the Plus. It also has a separate USB connector and cable that I never use. Can I lop off the USB cable without effecting the functionality of the VGA fed monitor, and thereby eliminate 4ft. of unneeded and unsightly cable? Thanks.
Ciao,
Jerry

USB cables on monitors are normally used to feed extra USB sockets on the Monitor, or a touch screen interface, rather than having anything to do with the graphics, as you say yours is a small screen then it is probably for touch.

If it’s outside of warrantee (Or you have a local computer dealer), then the monitor can be opened up and the USB cable unplugged internally, (Unless it is soldered direct to the board) so that it can be put to one side, rather than chopping it off.

Hope this helps

Bill

#418397 - 03/16/16 05:51 PM Re: OT? Can I cut an unneeded monitor cable? [Re: Jerry T]
Jerry T Offline

Loc: Phila. 'burbs, Pa. USA
Thanks everyone. I think i'm going to just cut it -- after tomorrow's gigs. I have a couple of days off to look for alternatives if it doesn't work.
Ciao

#418400 - 03/16/16 07:17 PM Re: OT? Can I cut an unneeded monitor cable? [Re: Jerry T]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jerry, make sure the power is turned off, be sure that no wires are touching each other, then seal the end of the cable with some hot melt glue or Gorilla Glue to be on the safe side.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online