SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#413747 - 12/28/15 03:52 PM OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
First gig after Xmas today. Nursing home, nice crowd of 40+.

I took the S970 because it was a solo gig. I set up a folder for Jan 2016 and copied songs I thought the crowd might like. I checked each registration for accuracy USB stick, then copied the folder to the User area. I have no idea how much space is in the user area...but for some odd reason...I trust that more than a USB.

Then just in case, I copied my Christmas show from the Tyros on USB and moved it to the USER area of the S970. I know I can copy from the Tyros to the S970 and not the other way around.

At the gig, shure nuff, the crowd wanted Xmas music. I knew better but said OK knowing that the registrations copied from our Tyros would be iffy at best on the S970. So I diverted from my planned show for some Xmas songs and was lucky to find five registrations that worked.

Not fun sitting in front of 40+ people stumbling through registrations from our Tyros Xmas show hoping they would work on the S970. crazy

Lesson learned.

But...Here's the thing.

It's like this registration thing is never done..switching keyboards...the Tyros for this show, the S970 for that show...

It seems like I'm starting over each show, checking registrations, to see that they will work.

My wife keeps asking me why I switch keyboards...now I'm starting to ask that question. I should mention, she plays as well and wants to settle on one keyboard.

I'm about ready to go to one keyboard and stay there. And if had to pick today? Probably Tyros.

Yes, it's slightly heavier and slightly larger. But what's really getting to be a hassle is the constant work on registrations from one board to the other.

And, truth be known, I was really impressed with our Tyros at our Christmas shows. There's just not much that keyboard can't do well and sound great.

Like I said, this is a rant.

Just hit delete.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (12/28/15 04:15 PM)

#413749 - 12/28/15 03:58 PM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

I would just keep the S970 sell all else for gigging..your audiences and you back will love you.

good luck

Edited by Dnj (12/28/15 03:59 PM)

#413750 - 12/28/15 03:59 PM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: guitpic1]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
You make me so glad I don't do "gigs" and am using only one "Board" at present. The 910 is adequate but I'm pining away for a 970. Maybe next year!

Anyway, your "rant" was an eye-opener to me and I can sure understand your frustration. As a songwriter, all I have to do is get one decent "cut" out of the keyboard and my crappy vocals... while you guys are "under the gun" every time you perform. Bravo, my friend... it was not a rant at all.

Happy New Year, ----Dave Rice

#413752 - 12/28/15 04:33 PM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: Riceroni9]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
personally I would go with the Tyros I know everybody is all up on Psr S970

but it is not a Tyros

Keybed is not even close , tilt screen , lef and right inputs xlr Mic input

4 outs , the weight and size is just not that big of a deal to me

USB in keybed area not on back like PSR

sell both and get Tyros 5 and then have it all

I played a show today with my T 4 going in I was convenced I was going to go look at PSR 970 and look to sell T4

after playing T4 I would be crazy to do that !!!!

dont get me wrong I am not against owning 970 and I might still go play one but to get rid of T4 and replace with 970 as a piano player would be a mistake the keys on T4 so much better not even close.

get T5 and call it a day or stay with T4 and do your best show everytime you play.

#413761 - 12/28/15 07:48 PM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: guitpic1]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Ron,
I did the same thing a few days back. On my way to a gig with my Tyros 4 I stopped by a store and played the S970 for about an hour. Before leaving the store I thought seriously about buying the S970 - it wasn't bad at all. Then I went to my gig and played my Tyros 4 and it all became very clear - yes I'll keep the Tyros 4. Put them side by side and there is a big difference.

Deane

#413776 - 12/29/15 05:11 AM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: guitpic1]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
The PSR-s970 is a very amazing keyboard, for the price, completely worth it. Yamaha is a very smart company and would never make a keyboard that would cause another keyboard to lack in sales.

I gig currently with a Tyros 5, but not for it's arranger capabilities, but for it's sound, ease of use, multiple out-puts, Audio-links, keybed, etc.

A psr-s970 could probably do this also, but it's like driving a a top line fully loaded vehicle, compared to a lower line version, they both will get you there, one will be a nicer ride, more features, more compfort, better in every way, but they both will get you there.

Basically you usually get what you pay for

#413777 - 12/29/15 05:36 AM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: frankieve]
guitpic1 Offline

Good points all. Will set up the Tyros for January....I've got a few gigs and my wife and I have a few together.

#413781 - 12/29/15 07:44 AM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: guitpic1]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Good point Frank , I am sure the 970 is a great keyboard and I am going to go play one just too see but it going to be hard to beat the things I love about the T 4 and that is ok I also have a t 5 /76 but I leave it at a standing gig so it is the T 4 I travel around with that is how all the 970 stuff started for me it would be great to have a mini Tyros but I think the keys and the no flip screen will be a deal killer but who knows got to see for myself.

Ron

Edited by musicforyourday (12/29/15 07:46 AM)

#413783 - 12/29/15 07:57 AM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Personally I'm waiting for the next models Tyros/S units or whatever its called,.. hopefully in BLACK, smaller, lighter, More Live Control knobs, better tracking VH2, Bigger Tilt up display screen, XLR inputs,.....I guess we wait and see. But for now the S970 does it's job very very well on the road & sounds terriffic,.... keys

#413787 - 12/29/15 08:44 AM Re: OOOPS...and a bit of a lengthy rant..sorry [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

I'll go back to the Tyros for Jan gigs and leave the S970 in reserve. If January goes well with the Tyros....my wife likes that board better, the S970 may go up for sale.

Eventually we will then move to a Tyros 5 or wait for the next Tyros whatever.

It's kind of nice to have a board that will expand with premium packs and voices

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online