SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#411844 - 11/23/15 07:15 AM Differences in Arrangers
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
After listening to several demos of different types of arrangers on You Tube, I've come to believe that the biggest difference in sound in arrangers, has to do with how the sound is reproduced with external speakers.

Any arranger I've had the opportunity to play, has sounded a lot better when played through a decent PA system.

The stuff I read about this arranger has better sounding brass, that one better sounding drums, piano sounds are best on this arranger etc...

It seems these voices/styles are a lot more effected by the PA system/external speaker system used than whatever arranger is used.

To me, it seems, folks are much more in favor of Yamaha, Korg, Roland, Audya or whatever more so based on familiarity with the layout and functions than whether or not a particular arranger has a little bit better piano sound or whatever sound is supposed to be better.

I'm a fan of Taylor acoustic guitars; have owned many models of this guitar. I've also owned Martin, Goodall and a few higher end hand built guitars. I would hear from others, ad nauseum, how Taylor sounded better, played better than Martin etc. Truth is, a good guitar, no matter the brand plays and sounds good.

And when it comes to the audience, I've found very few who could tell the difference in one instrument from the other.

I'm thinking some day I might try to own a Korg PA 4X. The reasons I would like to experience Korg have nothing to do with the fact that it might 'sound' better than my Yamaha or another type of arranger...cause I'm guessing there's not much difference in sound.

The reason I would like to try the Korg is more about its physical size(since I think it's close to the size of my PSR keyboard) the way the arranger is laid out, and it's workflow.

Thoughts?

#411846 - 11/23/15 07:57 AM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

I'd wait for TYROS 6 soon to come..

#411847 - 11/23/15 08:00 AM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I'd wait for TYROS 6 soon to come..

Not likely.... Maybe next years Novemnber.

Yamaha will be to busy selling and promoting the upcomming Montage over the next year... Which might actually be a competitor to T5 with even more ARP's

http://keyszone.boards.net

#411854 - 11/23/15 01:55 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Tx for the responses.

Guess as wordy as I was, I really had two points:

1. Sound wise, there really isn't a big difference in arrangers. Yamaha does have the edge with styles...near as I can tell.

2. Size(and weight wise) there is. I'm thinking folks use the PA X models on gigs, as much for their size as anything else.

smile

Edited by guitpic1 (11/23/15 01:58 PM)

#411855 - 11/23/15 02:52 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

Good points about pa systems, external amps, etc., guitpic. Everybody eq's them by their own ears to suit whatever room they're in, so there's a wide variation in the end product, too. In a way, it makes a kind of mockery of online demos, comparisons, and so on.

As usual, it's down to putting one's own hands on any given keyboard and, within one's preferences and budget, going from there. On the other hand there are many people who, without internet access, would never get to see or hear much at all of what's available. So the web does have its uses.

#411856 - 11/23/15 03:22 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: 124]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Guitpic1 off topic:
Have been trying to decide between a Tylor and a Martin guitar. Martin has a deeper sound and Tylor seems much clearer; you can hear every note. I understand that they are both good guitars and it is an individual thing, but I would appreciate your impute.

Thanks, John C.

I may be in the market for a S970 – but not because it is better than my Pa900, but it is different. I tried this once with wives and got terrible results. (ouch)
John C.

#411858 - 11/23/15 03:47 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
"I may be in the market for a S970 – but not because it is better than my Pa900, but it is different. I tried this once with wives and got terrible results. (ouch)
John C."

900 and 970 would be a killer combination! I'm with you on the wife thing. smile

#411863 - 11/23/15 04:03 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I must be doing something right, don't change keyboards more than once every 7 to 8 years, and still have the same wife after 53 years. Hmmmm! Maybe I'm doin' something wrong. wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#411865 - 11/23/15 04:08 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: bruno123]
guitpic1 Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Guitpic1 off topic:
Have been trying to decide between a Tylor and a Martin guitar. Martin has a deeper sound and Tylor seems much clearer; you can hear every note. I understand that they are both good guitars and it is an individual thing, but I would appreciate your impute.

Thanks, John C.

I may be in the market for a S970 – but not because it is better than my Pa900, but it is different. I tried this once with wives and got terrible results. (ouch)
John C.

Re: Martin vs. Taylor...

Both models with similar builds have their own unique sounds. Pick the sound you like.

Taylor does have an NT neck design that makes it easy to adjust. Many Martins have a dovetail neck joint...many folks like it but dovetail joints are a bit more tricky to adjust.

I played in a bluegrass group for many years...I was one of the few that played a Taylor....traditionalists couldn't understand why I didn't play Martin.

That said, I did a guitar workshop some 20 years ago at a bluegrass festival. Did my demo with a borrowed early 50's Martin D18. Best sounding and playing acoustic guitar I have ever had the good fortune to play in my lifetime...to date anyway.

smile

#411867 - 11/23/15 04:50 PM Re: Differences in Arrangers [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
One of my father-in-law’s worked in the post office all his life; he never had another job. I always thought he was a bit strange.

Gary, married for 53 years, I admire that, you are one lucky man. I have always regretted my divorce.

Gary, I got your 53 years beat if you were to add my marriages all together.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online