SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#408872 - 09/25/15 12:49 PM S-970 User Question ...
Dnj Offline

Question:...

Can you change the Font "Size &/or Type, Bold, Etc," on the S970 Music Finder song list, ? Yes or No?

The S950 doesn't allow that...

Thanx

Edited by Dnj (09/25/15 12:50 PM)

#408881 - 09/25/15 07:55 PM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I didn't think you used the MFD at all.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408894 - 09/26/15 04:00 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I haven't found a way yet. Will do more checking

#408897 - 09/26/15 06:29 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gary that's the reason I hardly ever use it..... Aside from. The MFD not being able to save all pertinent information like transpose also. That I can live with but the font size is unacceptable.... and pretty much the only thing holding me back from buying one.

Edited by Dnj (09/26/15 06:30 AM)

#408900 - 09/26/15 09:19 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I am glad Gary likes and uses the MFD.
Why I don't:
Can't save transpose (as Donny has mentioned)
Can't save a tempo change or multi pad selected
It turns on the OTS link automatically (I prefer to pick my own voices and SAVE them to a registration)
It selects an Intro and turns it on automatically. I most often play my own intros.
Gary has created his own MFD for his repertoire and it works for him.
It is possible to KIND OF customize MFD's to your preferences, but IMO more work than building a registration.
For me....NOTHING beats custom made and named registrations.
So...what is best?
For Gary MFD. For me, registrations. For you?
Different strokes...that's all.
Eddie

#408901 - 09/26/15 09:32 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
I am glad Gary likes and uses the MFD.
Why I don't:
Can't save transpose (as Donny has mentioned)
Can't save a tempo change or multi pad selected
It turns on the OTS link automatically (I prefer to pick my own voices and SAVE them to a registration)
It selects an Intro and turns it on automatically. I most often play my own intros.
Gary has created his own MFD for his repertoire and it works for him.
It is possible to KIND OF customize MFD's to your preferences, but IMO more work than building a registration.
For me....NOTHING beats custom made and named registrations.
So...what is best?
For Gary MFD. For me, registrations. For you?
Different strokes...that's all.
Eddie

Eddie all good points...

KORG got it right with their SONGBOOK...Yamaha should learn a lesson from them & also add a touch screen on their next offerings...hopefully.

#408902 - 09/26/15 09:55 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, I've been tellin ya for years, you need eye glasses! I can read that MFD without glasses just fine.

As for the drawbacks, no, you cannot save transpose, therefore, I just add the transpose information to the song title, and a couple button pushes later, it's transposed to the key I sing the song in.

As for the OTS, if you turn off the OTS link button on the left side of the keyboard, then you can load a registration that contains all your special voices and select them at will.

Same is true for the intro - if you want to play your own, just select "OFF" for the intro when creating the MFD file.

Now for the neatest part. You can create your own, custom MFD using your PC and Michael Bedesem's MFD View program, which is free at the PSR Tuturial Site. It's a very user friendly program that I have used many times over the years.

Now, you can also change the tempo, and this is done simply by creating a second MFD entry with the same name and a different tempo, just the same as pressing another registration button to change tempo. (gotta think out of the box.)

As stated, you cannot select multi pads in the MFD, but most of the time I rarely used them - just too much gingerbread sometimes.

With the MFD, and similar to registrations where an entire bank is utilized for a single song, the songs are listed alphabetically, however, you can also list them by tempo, style or beat. Additionally, there is a Favorites section where you can customize an MFD for specific types of jobs from your master MFD. Add to that two separate search engines.

The Yamaha MFD is a very powerful tool, and second only to full registrations when it comes to the level of power, but a very close second. It can pretty much eliminate dead time between songs, and can be used in conjunction with registrations. The song selection and editing processes are very user friendly and quick. I posted my MFD and it has been downloaded more than 1,000 times over the past two years, so I guess someone else enjoys it as well.

As for font changes for old, blind guys who are too vein to wear eye glasses, well, I can't do much for ya in that department. No line bifocals might be a good solution, though. And, I think they now can be had in contact lenses. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/26/15 09:56 AM)

#408903 - 09/26/15 10:08 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gary. Let's face it the MFD is old school and needs to redesigned in a major way!! .... Btw my glasses are fine...

Edited by Dnj (09/26/15 10:08 AM)

#408905 - 09/26/15 10:12 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Nah, it's NOT old school - you're old school, Donny. It's just one of the many great tools Yamaha provides us with, but you need to learn to use it. Hell, if an old codger like me can read the MFD, a young whippersnapper like you should be able to read it from across the room. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

#408909 - 09/26/15 10:20 AM Re: S-970 User Question ... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

This is a couple videos that I made some time ago demonstrating the power of the MfD.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (09/26/15 10:23 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online