SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#401583 - 04/20/15 07:15 AM iPad Disappointment
KORG80 Offline

I am pretty disappointed that I can't store the chord sheets for my church praise team music on my iPad. The licensed site that I get my music from, CCLI, requires FLASH to display the chord sheets. I wanted to be able to store all my music on my iPad and use a Bluetooth page turner leaving my huge stack of paper sheets at home, only to find that Apple's mobile devices do not support FLASH. I could do what I want to do on my MacBook but my iPad mini fits right on my keyboard. I would likely need a special high quality holding device for the laptop.

God Bless,
Don

#401584 - 04/20/15 07:21 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

#401586 - 04/20/15 08:04 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks Donny, but my iPad won't do it and I need my laptop in order to read the FLASH files.

God Bless,
Don

#401587 - 04/20/15 08:14 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

The LAPTOP is KING on stage!!.....
I tried the tablet route myself, it just doesn't cut it for my needs.

good luck

#401590 - 04/20/15 08:55 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I just posted this on the PSR-Tutorial forum, but thought I should post it here as well because the same rules apply.

Personally, I would not get an I-pad. I use a 1-pound netbook PC, which provides all the necessities, internet connection, word processor, USB connections so I can fire MIDI files directly from the PC to the keyboard, and vise-versa, great display, even outdoors, tremendous battery life, etc... The cost of my PC was under $300, the programs are all free and can be quickly downloaded, it takes up no more space than an I-pad, but can do so much more. I really don't understand the craze to move to an I-Pad or other similar device that is so restrictive when compared to a PC. Maybe I'm just old fashioned. wink The Netbook PC I use is an Acer Aspire One with a 9-inch display.

While I was in the Florida Keys last winter, I saw lots of entertainers, mainly singing guitar players. Many had I pads on mic stands, and they were constantly tapping the touch screen, which rocked the stand back and forth so they had to wait a few seconds for the stand to stop rocking so they could hit the touch screen again. Their dead time between songs was horrendous, often 1 to 2 minutes. If there were ever a lesson on how to loose your audience, this should be included as an example. Donny Pesce once said to me "When you get em on the dance floor, you gotta keep em on the dance floor. They can't dance when there's no music playin." He was right on the money with that statement.

This guy was a great player, but his dead time between songs was often 2 or more minutes. He had to program his drum machine between songs, then turn to the page in his loose-leaf binder where the sheets were so he could play the song, and of course, while he did this he lost eye contact with his audiences.

My rig took up less space, and as you can see the laptop does not obscure my view of the audience, or their view of me. It is permanently attached to the top of my custom console using Industrial Strength Velcro and the wireless mouse is situated on a small platform, out of audience view, on a platform situated below the keyboard, but where I can easily access it with my right hand. That console also lights the top of the keyboard, lights the sign on the front, contains my TC Helicon Harmony-M, power supplies for the laptop, harmony-M and keyboard, a surge protector, and provides a strip for the fan, Bose L1 compact, and Bob The Flame light. It's made of aluminum, weighs about 11 pounds with everything installed, and fits on the top tier of my keyboard stand, sitting just 2 inches above the keyboard. There's room for a small, 6 or 8 channel mixer, but I no longer use a mixer. Where the mixer would sit, I place my tip jar, which is a plastic beer pitcher.

All the best,

Gary :cool

Edited by travlin'easy (04/20/15 09:18 AM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401591 - 04/20/15 08:56 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
124 Offline

Don, just use a standard Manhasset music stand to support your MacBook. Tighten up the bolt so it'll take the weight, and sit your MacBook on the main plate. Sort of use the music stand in reverse position, so to speak.

#401593 - 04/20/15 09:15 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
If you really like the 'tablet' form factor, why not just pick up a cheap android tablet dedicated to just that application. You can pick up a new or (better quality) refurbished one for under $100. Opinions (and everybody seems to have one) differ, but if JUST for reading music on stage, I'm with you....I'd prefer a tablet as well, over a laptop or netbook. Lots of reasons; size, ergonomics, battery life (up to 10 hrs vs 2-3 hrs), weight, portability, and price. Just another opinion.

chas

#401598 - 04/20/15 11:07 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I guess this is like the old "Mac vs. PC" wars - each person has their own preferences and likes/dislikes. I happen to like the size, simplicity, etc. of an iPad with unrealBook for me ... sure a laptop can do way more, but for what I use the iPad for, it does all I need (call up PDFs, search for songs, use Set Lists, send MIDI to call up Tyros registrations, etc. - and, I can network several iPads (4 in my band) to all work together when calling up songs. A Laptop can likely do all this and more since it's a full-fledge computer, but for me an iPad does what I need, very well.

I can see both sides - some prefer a laptop and it works great for them ... glad we have a choice, we can do it whatever way works best for (each person)! :-)

Jim

#401607 - 04/20/15 05:31 PM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Don,
I am not sure what you are looking for. I am using the OnSong app. Lyrics with chords on the top. You can change size, transpose, change fonts, place notes on the sheet and more.

It also handles PFD files (notes) I have all my Christian music separated in Topics (Playlist)

John C,

#401619 - 04/21/15 02:53 AM Re: iPad Disappointment [Re: KORG80]
Torch Offline

Don, there is a way to capture and convert the Flash sheet music into the PDF file format. When you print the Flash sheet music, hyar choose a PDF printer driver instead of your hardware printer. Then the PDF driver will "print" or rather convert the music into a PDF file. I use the free version of PDF reDirect http://www.exp-systems.com/. It is very handy. Whatever you can print out can be converted into PDF. It will even merge multiple PDF files into one. If you want to print out or make a PDF file from just a few pages of a PDF songbook, once again this PDF driver will allow you to do so.

Of course, once you have PDFs in your hands, any computers or tablets can easily handle them.

Chris
PS: I am strongly biased against Apple as a company and their products for various reasons, but I use the iPad for different tasks. If I were just dealing with PDFs on a tablet, I would get something like a Samsung tablet. A lot more machine for much less money.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online