SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#401048 - 04/02/15 06:39 AM Tunes my mother used to sing to me
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
My mother, who was a big fan of Billie Holiday (who just happened to have written this tune), used to sing this song to me when I was a kid. I always loved it, both the message and the music, but never really tried to play it. I simplified the chords since I'm too lazy to look up the correct ones smile and decided not to overembelish the melody after all the recent 'opinions' on "melisma". This is just a simple expression of my memory of it (it was also done by Blood, Sweat and Tears w/ David Clayton Thomas - a very nice version but I still prefer the Billie Holiday version with the Eddie Heywood Orchestra).

The 'piano' is "Romantic Piano" from my old Triton Classic as is the muted trumpet. The echo'y trumpet in the first bridge is also from the Triton called "ghosttown cornet". Guitar, as usual, is "Jazz guitar" from my old Tyros2 and organ is my Keyb Duo Mark111. The drum loop is actually a Country pattern which I thought would give it a 'different' feel. Plenty of mistakes but who cares.

https://app.box.com/s/13h1olzygxc78mp1r1nemvjgnix1lpll

chas

"Them that's got shall get, them that's not shall lose;
So the Bible says, and it still is news;
Mama may have, Papa may have,
But God bless the child that's got his own. That's got his own".

#401049 - 04/02/15 07:20 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I try to play this every time I work. I started when it became a hit for Blood Sweat and Tears in the 70's, but was aware of it as a Billy Holiday classic. Herb Ellis had actually showed me the tune in the 60's.

Beautiful, sad tune. It's kind of what Jazz is all about; for me, at least!

Russ

#401050 - 04/02/15 08:08 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

clap Nice job Chas on a classic tune,.....aside from a little EQ as I struggled to hear the muted Trumpet, but overall I really enjoyed listening,...love the Organ Perc also clap

Thanx for sharing. keys

#401051 - 04/02/15 08:18 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: cgiles]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Good job Chas . Loved the organ . Was the piano a little detuned ?

#401052 - 04/02/15 08:21 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
chas ... thank you ... another addition to my collection ...
I felt the same as Donny on the Muted trumpet in the background, and despite all the melisma opinions, I was just hoping for a 'bust out' organ solo ... organ ...
Really nice work ... thanks again ...

#401054 - 04/02/15 08:57 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: spalding1968]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Good job Chas . Loved the organ . Was the piano a little detuned ?
Not really 'detuned'....hard to hear but that patch is actually layered with strings, which gives it sort of a detuned quality.

Tony - "I felt the same as Donny on the Muted trumpet in the background"

Okay, here's the scoop on the muted trumpet....Miles used to do stuff like this behind a lot of artists (like Chaka Khan) and I loved it. I wanted to do something similar but couldn't really come up with anything interesting to play (unlike Miles smile ). I started to delete it but then just decided to turn it down to nearly inaudible.....should've deleted it (or spent more time trying to come up with something creative. On the 'bust out' organ solo....yeah, I'm thinking about doing it again with just organ - I'm feeling a little timid about messing with that beautiful melody smile.

DNJ - "...love the Organ Perc also"

Yeah Donny, The Percussion on the KeyB is about as close to a real B3 as I've heard in a 'Clonewheel'; plus, it's tweakable. Also sounds very 'tube-y' (analog'y), even though it's straight into the recorder (no nice wooden Leslie to help it along).

chas

#401056 - 04/02/15 09:10 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cgiles

Tony -
Okay, here's the scoop on the muted trumpet....Miles used to do stuff like this behind a lot of artists (like Chaka Khan) and I loved it. chas

chas ... yeah, that's what I was looking for ...

I wanted to do something similar but couldn't really come up with anything interesting to play (unlike Miles smile ).I started to delete it but then just decided to turn it down to nearly inaudible.....should've deleted it (or spent more time trying to come up with something creative.
chas

com'on ... we KNOW you can do it ...

On the 'bust out' organ solo....yeah, I'm thinking about doing it again with just organ - I'm feeling a little timid about messing with that beautiful melody smile.
chas

Actually I think right where you started the organ would be a great spot for it ... It's like "OK,children, here comes the organ player - hold on to your seats" ...
I'm waiting to hear it ... wink

#401082 - 04/03/15 08:55 AM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: cgiles]
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hey Chas... Nice recording. #thanksforsharing

#401085 - 04/03/15 12:15 PM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: Dnj]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hey Charles:

Nice rendition. This tune has resonated with my inner-being since childhood. The Billie Holliday version is one of my favorites. I can see why it has a special meaning for you.

Thanks for sharing,

Dave Rice

#401087 - 04/03/15 12:46 PM Re: Tunes my mother used to sing to me [Re: Riceroni9]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I'd like to play on this...maybe next trip!

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online