SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#400707 - 03/20/15 02:37 PM How important are "real time" listeners.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
For the last 6 months, 1/2 my work has been in the studio...usually from 2:00 PM Sunday afternoon until 6-8 Monday evening. The tension and pressure to complete is insane. The compensation is ridiculous.

I LOVE IT!

The one thing missing is people. The end product is mixed under a voice-over. 1/2 or more isn't even music, it's more sound effects or sound reinforcement.

Nothing is real time.

I'm thinking of taking on another 26 hour session a week and giving up live playing completely.

Since I'm not an entertainer, I could live with the change, but I really believe music is meant to be played for
PEOPLE.

What do you think? While I've been involved in session work for over 50 years, I've ALWAYS had a live gig and have appreciated the relationship with supporters in the audience.

Any thoughts? Doing two sessions a week would involve 400 miles of driving (5 hours) and 52 hours of work: minimum.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (03/20/15 02:39 PM)

#400708 - 03/20/15 03:27 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Doing two sessions a week would involve 400 miles of driving (5 hours)

Russ

Russ, I hope most of it is on a race track. You'd need to AVERAGE 80mph combined city/hwy. Watch out for the cops, they're getting a little gun-happy these days.

Oh, on the other thing; don't (ever) stop playing live.

chas

#400713 - 03/20/15 04:38 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Never, never, never give up playing live. Buy a light plane for those longer trips. There are small plane airports all over the place where you can land relatively close to the job. Hell, I haul my gear in my boat to some jobs, both here and in Florida.

All the best from a gun toting ex-cop, wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400715 - 03/20/15 04:46 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

The jobs are in Louisville. 82 miles from my home. I have a Cessna 180, but it would take longer to get to the airport, go to Louisville, land at Bowman field and cross town 15 miles.

Go on a motorcycle in good weather....best time: 72 minutes @ 72 mph.

I have produced my own films for clients for years. This is work for another production company.

Producing everything (script, storyboards, tracks, edits , etc.) is much more satisfying.

But, again, the money is RIDICULOUS!More to donate to promising kids!

R.

#400716 - 03/20/15 06:26 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Above being players, performers, and entertainers, human beings are always looking for a sense of purpose and belonging, and, most of all, being appreciated for who they are and what they do.

Feeling important, useful and appreciated are positive feelings that help people to experience good and happy emotions, not to mention, many people have low self esteem and need to be reminded constantly that they are respected, that they matter, etc.

So, how important are "real time" listeners?

My guess would be that they are very important to most entertainer/players/performers.

Being appreciated for recording/producing/arranging is important as well, but not usually as immediate.

Ian

#400727 - 03/21/15 09:04 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: ianmcnll]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
I play the KB and sing like no one's listening everyday ... but there is NOTHING like playing to an audience ... I played a restaurant gig last might where I fill in for the regular guy a couple of times a year ... It's a really nice Italian restaurant, the staff is very gracious, and it has a good clientele ... while the people are there for the food, and not to listen to me, it is great when some one applauds a song I've done, get up to dance on the small dance floor, and even drop a few bucks in the tip jar ... a number of people of all ages came up and said how they enjoyed the music ...

Russ, you may not consider yourself an 'entertainer' but you do entertain people with your music, and let's face it: our EGOS need that audience at least some of the time ... KEEP PLAYING LIVE !!! your talents were given to you for that reason ...

#400743 - 03/21/15 05:42 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

When I get a response to playing "Giant Steps"...that's GOOD! When I get a request to play "Kansas City"...Not so much.

Maybe I just need a break from live work. Haven't missed a week
since 1982.

Thing is, Social Security and Corporate retirement make me comfortable.

Everything else I make goes to others. Work overseas and studio work makes a 6 figure contribution total possible.

That is satisfying. I look at $150.00 for a dinner gig vs. $2500.00 plus points (A commission each time the piece is broadcast) for a 30 hour session would make a major difference for some neat local projects I'd like to work on.

I still have to decide on surgery or not on my rotator. If I elect to have the surgery, maybe I'll use that 6 weeks to sort the "live playing" thing out.

Thing is, I've played myself out of regular jobs. Unless the material is challenging, getting an "attaboy" from a customer really doesn't do much for me.

Thanks,

Russ

#400744 - 03/21/15 05:59 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The studio work I've been doing is far more lucrative than the, now more occasional, live gigs, but I still like that immediate interaction with the audience...even one person who is listening intently and appreciating can make my night so much better.

We often invite people (non-musicians) to our jam sessions just to get some feedback from the "common ear" point of reference.

Surgery is always a risk, Russ, especially when we are older(over 60), and especially if it means general anesthesia, so get lots of info and opinions before going under the knife.

Good luck,

Ian

#400748 - 03/21/15 07:23 PM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

ditto on the surgery aspects, Russ.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#400801 - 03/24/15 08:25 AM Re: How important are "real time" listeners. [Re: captain Russ]
captain Russ Offline

Just got in from a session that started Sunday at 2:00 PM. Don't think I'll be able to do this a lot longer.

Last therapy session is today. I'll get with the Dr. in a week or so.

One thing for sure; I can't play 5 nights and do 2 30 hour marathon sessions a week for very long.

I like to play, but DAMN!

I feel I'll be sidelined by a physical situation and will retire. Hands hurt. Shoulder hurts.

At least I'm still able to cut it.

R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online