SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#399869 - 02/24/15 12:54 PM The best Organ
Bachus Offline

The best organ currently available is an arranger....

Says so much about the versatality of the Tyros 5. This brilliant player i found on the youtubes.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#399872 - 02/24/15 01:15 PM Re: The best Organ [Re: Bachus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
HOME organ, maybe.

R.

#399874 - 02/24/15 01:22 PM Re: The best Organ [Re: captain Russ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
HOME organ, maybe.

R.

Just try to get that Wersi sound out of a B3 ...
But you are correct, i was talking home organ

#399881 - 02/24/15 02:58 PM Re: The best Organ [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I guess I'd have to question this post's title. It's hard to use the word "Best" in almost any context....especially one as subjective as music.

It's interesting though, how much our tastes are shaped by culture. When I say "I love organ", what I REALLY mean is "I love HAMMOND organ". Five minutes of that "Wersi" sound and I'd have to be put in a padded cell. For me, it ranks right up there with accordions and bagpipes. Of course I realize many, many others feel just the opposite and I certainly respect that. It's not their fault that they didn't have the opportunity to grow up listening to Dr. Lonnie Smith, Groove Holmes, Jack McDuff, Tony Monaco, Joey D., (to name a few) and the huge number of great gospel (Hammond) organists out there..........kidding, kidding, diferent strokes for different folks. But you've got to admit, there are a lot more dedicated 'Clonewheels' out there than CloneWersi's smile smile.

chas

#399890 - 02/24/15 09:55 PM Re: The best Organ [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
I guess I'd have to question this post's title. It's hard to use the word "Best" in almost any context....especially one as subjective as music.

It's interesting though, how much our tastes are shaped by culture. When I say "I love organ", what I REALLY mean is "I love HAMMOND organ". Five minutes of that "Wersi" sound and I'd have to be put in a padded cell. For me, it ranks right up there with accordions and bagpipes. Of course I realize many, many others feel just the opposite and I certainly respect that. It's not their fault that they didn't have the opportunity to grow up listening to Dr. Lonnie Smith, Groove Holmes, Jack McDuff, Tony Monaco, Joey D., (to name a few) and the huge number of great gospel (Hammond) organists out there..........kidding, kidding, diferent strokes for different folks. But you've got to admit, there are a lot more dedicated 'Clonewheels' out there than CloneWersi's smile smile.

chas

Sure there where wiser words to use then best... best is a personal opinion at best..

Comming from a world of european home organs i do have a different more broader opinion about organ sounds then the typical B3 addorant, which does not mean i do not appreciate a good B3, i really do... but i also like the Wersi/Bohm and itallian organ type of sounds that fit very well in european folklore and schlager music...

But my point with these video's is that the Tyros 5 is easilly turned into a versatile euro/home organ witouth to much financial costs and performs brilliantly as one....

The title was however a gest, because if i was an organ player, i would go for something like a Nord C2D combined with V-arranger or a Wersi Sonic depending on my background.. This T5 option however shows however that T5 makes a brillant organ when you add a midi keyboard and some pedals. The sounds of organ world, and the expansion sounds make it a very good organ.. the rest of the sounds and the arranger features make it the best choice in that price range for home organ players...

#399897 - 02/25/15 06:09 AM Re: The best Organ [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I never understood the comment made by keyboard players, “ I hate organs”. I feel it should be, “I hate the way people make them sound”.

THOUGHTS FROM 1980’S AND 90’S
1- Wasn’t the arranger keyboard birth from the organ. Like they took one set of keys and created an arranger keyboard. I own a basic Wersi organ, it was made so that the keyboard could be detached from the wooden stand. I used it on a job.

2- After attending the concerts in Orlando, Florida for many years, and hearing the Wersi organ played by the fantastic team of Wersi players I feel in love, I had to have one. I bought the first keyboard they made. The CD of Rick Annonie (Spelling) and the keyboard was the best I have heard right up to today. (opinion) A few years later I bought a used Delta 500 with separate speakers – fantastic. I sold it 2 years later. Why? Lack of ability/talent, too much instrument for me.

3- I listened to an organ demonstration in a nearby music store; I hated it, they played nothing but organ sounds. What I had been listening to was Big Band. In a concert Cooper and Rick used two Wersi organs to play Big Band; My dad who was a musician and I were amazed – close your eyes and it was as real as it can get. I must add that Hector Oliveri (Spelling) was the best organ player I have ever heard for classical and Jazz

John C.
Bachus if you have, could you post some of Ricks music and Hector.

#399898 - 02/25/15 06:38 AM Re: The best Organ [Re: bruno123]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
I never understood the comment made by keyboard players, “ I hate organs”. I feel it should be, “I hate the way people make them sound”.

THOUGHTS FROM 1980’S AND 90’S
1- Wasn’t the arranger keyboard birth from the organ. Like they took one set of keys and created an arranger keyboard. I own a basic Wersi organ, it was made so that the keyboard could be detached from the wooden stand. I used it on a job.

2- After attending the concerts in Orlando, Florida for many years, and hearing the Wersi organ played by the fantastic team of Wersi players I feel in love, I had to have one. I bought the first keyboard they made. The CD of Rick Annonie (Spelling) and the keyboard was the best I have heard right up to today. (opinion) A few years later I bought a used Delta 500 with separate speakers – fantastic. I sold it 2 years later. Why? Lack of ability/talent, too much instrument for me.

3- I listened to an organ demonstration in a nearby music store; I hated it, they played nothing but organ sounds. What I had been listening to was Big Band. In a concert Cooper and Rick used two Wersi organs to play Big Band; My dad who was a musician and I were amazed – close your eyes and it was as real as it can get. I must add that Hector Oliveri (Spelling) was the best organ player I have ever heard for classical and Jazz

John C.
Bachus if you have, could you post some of Ricks music and Hector.

Soundwise there is only one organ that soon might beat a Tyros organ in organ sound quallity as well as general usage , but its not yet finished yet and will be 3 times as expensive...

#399905 - 02/25/15 09:14 AM Re: The best Organ [Re: Bachus]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Well explained. In this context, the Yamaha sounds pretty good.

R.

#399910 - 02/25/15 11:49 AM Re: The best Organ [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I think the Tyros5 does an excellent job with the European organ simulation/emulation, and to a much lesser extent, so does my Tyros4 (even though I have the 1 gig upgrade and some good third party samples), but as far as replicating the Hammond B-3, both instruments fall a bit short, in my opinion, of course.

For the amount of Hammond-ish sounds I use, the Tyros4's sim does a very reasonable job, but, if I was playing a lot of Jazz or Rock organ tunes, I'd probably want to add a dedicated clonewheel to my kit, my first choice being a Hammond XK3c. Having had the luxury of being able to A/B the XK3c to the Hammond B-3 I play at the jam sessions, the former's sound is exceptionally accurate, and the keybed/keyfeel is, for all intents and purposes, identical to the real deal (allowing for wear and tear on the B-3).

When I played the Tyros4 as a tonewheel organ, it worked okay, but when I played my friend DMAC's XK3c, I found myself playing licks I used to play on my old B-3 back in the band days...the keyboard/keybed feels that natural...it's hard to describe, but those here who play a Hammond (or a really good clonewheel) will understand...there are techniques that seem to be only possible on the type of action used on a B-3.

Even playing my Tyros4's drawbar organ sim from an XK3c midi'd to it, improves the organ playing experience on the former dramatically, so, key action, again in my opinion, does play a major role in the Hammond sound, and, at least as far as I can tell, is not as crucial for the European organs.

Ian

#399913 - 02/25/15 12:16 PM Re: The best Organ [Re: ianmcnll]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
key action, again in my opinion, does play a major role in the Hammond sound, and, at least as far as I can tell, is not as crucial for the European organs.

Ian

My thoughts as well, but not just the key action. Maybe because of the nature of the instrument, musicians seem to approach it differently in terms of playing techniques. You rarely hear those percussive 'stutters', glisses and smears, extreme (volume) dynamics, etc. that almost all Hammond players employ, used on the Lowerys, Wersi's, Thomas's, Bohm's, etc. of this world. Even if used, these instruments would respond differently.

But of course, this is all just conversational. We all know there is no 'best' for everybody. As long as the instrument responds to your musical sensitivities and produces a sound that pushes your buttons, then it's done it's job.

I don't think ANY arranger will ever satisfy a dyed-in-the-wool organ aficionado. I also don't think the home/theatre/classical/pipe organ crowd would ever accept anything that didn't have 500 buttons and switches, a pedalboard, and 300 lbs. of furniture-grade wood around it (with matching bench) smile.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online