SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#398519 - 01/22/15 09:27 AM New piano/arranger combo...
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I play a lot for government functions in the state capitol.

Most jobs are 1 hour...a gathering time before a meeting. Occasionally, it'll be a standard 4 hour gig with bass and drums plus a horn.

I have been using the house piano; a 10 year old Yamaha grand, when possible, but taking equipment up to Frankfort breaking down and making another job in Lexington an hour later is nearly impossible.

I am splitting the cost (my participation is a price concession of $50.00 per job until 1/2 the equipment is paid for) of a small electronic piano (self-contained stand; hopefully, with wheels)and a small arranger good for left hand bass and easy to manipulate without pedals.

I have been using a 13 note Ketron pedal set-up for years, so the change will be dramatic.

For size and portability (jobs are all over the place in the building I work), I'd like the piano to be 76 notes.

For tones, I'm a standards/ jazz player, so the presets on the arranger need to be fairly hip.

From a practical standpoint, the arranger would be mostly used for left-hand bass and drums,and then only for every 10th job or so. I would also use a small mixer to play everything thru the piano amplifier and speakers. This works at another house job I have. The piano there is an 88 note Yamaha, which is sometimes difficult to move quickly.

Most of the music is background, so the set-up thru the piano for vocal and occasional guitar is OK. For larger jobs or for guitar only (1/3 of my jobs are just instrumental guitar), I bring in appropriate amplifiers and/or PA.

Small, easy to access and pro sound are more important than price.

Suggestions?

Russ

#398520 - 01/22/15 09:54 AM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I would recommend Roland BK9 and a Bose L1 Compact and a lightweight stand. 76 keys, light weight. You will love the organs and piano.
Cable out to the Bose is all you'll need. Plug 'em both in and play.
There is one button that instantly transforms the kb into all piano, or all organ.
You can carry everything easily in one trip. Perfect for both very low volume and for those times when you need a big sound.
I'm old and I know some stuff.

#398521 - 01/22/15 10:31 AM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Ditto... Don M

#398522 - 01/22/15 11:22 AM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Thanks! I'm looking at the Roland now.

I'll still need a "furniture piano for looks. The arranger will live on top. Both need to be black. I'll also need to do something other than Bose.

I've played thru them and hate the sound and even the look. A buddy of mine and I play duo's 10 times a year or so. I won't do it with his Bose stuff. No mids at all. UGH!

I still need to plug the arranger, mic and guitar (with a sans amp) into a small mixer into the power section of the piano.

the Yamaha I use in Lexington has a 100 watt internal amp and a selection of speakers. For larger jobs, I bring out a one piece Carvin for additional power.

I'll look at the Roland on line and try to find a store that carries them.

What about the piano? A friend is strong on Korg.

R.

#398527 - 01/22/15 02:35 PM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, define "furniture piano". Does that mean you MUST have a separate piano and that it can't be a conventional 'slab' stage piano? I think Don was trying to get you down to one keyboard and if that's doable, then I agree that the BK9 is probably the best single-keyboard solution.....I base that on the sound of my BK7m and especially the drums. If you must have a separate piano capable of supporting an arranger on top, then that's a whole different ballgame.

Another possibility is a good stage piano with a BK7m. Just brainstorming.

chas

#398528 - 01/22/15 03:04 PM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

. . . or with a Midjay, which you already have. smile

#398531 - 01/22/15 04:21 PM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: DonM]
preplapse Offline

Hi, I have a Roland BK-9 that I will sell for $1600 shipped with insurance. I just bought an Audya 4 at AJ's workshop at Frank's place and I need the money. Let me know. Thanks

Regards,

John

#398551 - 01/23/15 08:53 AM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: preplapse]
captain Russ Offline

I guess I wasn't very clear. I'm fighting folks who want me to use the Yamaha grand that is in place. At the least, they want a piano in a black wooden case with legs. They want to minimize
the number of cords, amps, etc.

I want a piano action. 75% of the work will be piano only. Occasionally, I'll need the piano and a bass line and some percussion. That I'll get from the arranger. Occasionally, I'll work as a trio with piano and/or guitar, bass and drums.
For less formal events, I'll use the arranger, with additional amplification.

Looks are important. That's why a Bose and even a Midjay would not work.

The piano I'm looking for may not exist. It needs to have a good piano action, be attractive, have a 100 watt internal amplifier AND be 76 notes. I'll probably have to use an 88, which will be OK.

I'm looking at some Yamaha digitals today. I've used one at another regular job for several years, and have found the action to be acceptable. I have a neat little rig composed of a small 4 channel mixer to accommodate the mike, guitars and synth or arranger, when it is needed, which is rarely.

I'm ordering the Roland arranger this morning.

R.

#398555 - 01/23/15 10:04 AM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
I guess I wasn't very clear. I'm fighting folks who want me to use the Yamaha grand that is in place. At the least, they want a piano in a black wooden case with legs. They want to minimize
the number of cords, amps, etc.

I want a piano action. 75% of the work will be piano only. Occasionally, I'll need the piano and a bass line and some percussion. That I'll get from the arranger. Occasionally, I'll work as a trio with piano and/or guitar, bass and drums.
For less formal events, I'll use the arranger, with additional amplification.

Looks are important. That's why a Bose and even a Midjay would not work.

The piano I'm looking for may not exist. It needs to have a good piano action, be attractive, have a 100 watt internal amplifier AND be 76 notes. I'll probably have to use an 88, which will be OK.

I'm looking at some Yamaha digitals today. I've used one at another regular job for several years, and have found the action to be acceptable. I have a neat little rig composed of a small 4 channel mixer to accommodate the mike, guitars and synth or arranger, when it is needed, which is rarely.

I'm ordering the Roland arranger this morning.

R.

Russ good luck awaiting your in-debt reiew of teh Roland BK9 as well.... keys

#398556 - 01/23/15 10:06 AM Re: New piano/arranger combo... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

"in-debt" ? Is that a Freudian slip? smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online