SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#396850 - 12/06/14 12:32 PM Overblown Demo Videos.......
Krychek Offline

Not a rant......just an observation......

Can't seem to trust these product demo videos online at all.

I know that they just about always run the output of a board into off-camera monitors and speakers to make it sound better...

The give-away is the lines coming out of the back of the board in the videos...

so that's a given......

but I don't know how many times I've been to stores, looked at the product in question......and after hooking it up to good in-store monitors:- it still doesn't sound the like the video demo.

Which leads me to the conclusion that not only are the videomakers running the sound through high-end monitors...they are also further editing the sound on a DAW or edit program.

I suppose I should have expected that too......

But the demos are totally misleading when it comes to the actual untouched-up unedited sound.

You just can't be too careful..........

#396851 - 12/06/14 01:32 PM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
Dnj Offline

Buyer beware always...just sayin' wink

#396856 - 12/06/14 03:50 PM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Most of the demos I've seen are performed by highly professional and very skilled players, and I'm confident the output of the keyboard is going directly into the camera's audio line input. Nothing wrong with that - no different than going into any sound system. So what's your beef? Nothing hoaky about the demos. Now, I only wish I could play as good as Michael Vonken and most of the other players that provide the demos - those folks are fantastic players, and obviously, they really know the ins and outs of the keyboards they play.

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396861 - 12/06/14 07:29 PM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
Krychek Offline

Travlin' easy......

The fact that a demo is performed by a skilled player has nothing to do with the sound quality emanating from the device.....other than it sounds good because he or she is a pro.

The person playing it isn't the issue.........the issue is that the sound has usually been doctored way too much in the video to make it sound way better than it is.....

And you have proof that in every instance the sound is going directly into the camera audio line input?

How can this be when the L/R cable outputs from the board will not work plugged directly into a camera because 99.999999% of the cameras out there do not have these inputs......unless it's reworked through another unit first.

There is everything "hoaky" about the sound in most of these videos..........

The players themselves are mostly very good........even though they're probably being paid to star in the demo.

They may know the "ins" and "outs' of a key board ( generally highliting all the "ins" and never touching the "outs").

So my beef is exactly what I said it was..........doctored sound that does not truly represent the actual sound in many instances.

#396863 - 12/06/14 08:38 PM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... personally, I even think the voices in the demos on the various KBs are better than the sounds produced by the KBs in the hands of the owners ...

#396864 - 12/06/14 10:19 PM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
When I worked in TV, which was in the early 70s, all of our cameras had line inputs and a shotgun Mic. Only cheap, non professional cameras do not have. These features. No manufacturer is going to.use an amateur camera for a demo video.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#396866 - 12/06/14 11:03 PM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My Kodak Zi10 camera has stereo audio inputs. $150.00

#396868 - 12/07/14 12:47 AM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
But even if the sound was processed that is something anyone could do in this digital age, and could be done realtime with an exciter or EQ processor.

#396870 - 12/07/14 02:40 AM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Right---And Nigel ought to know, being a video programmer.

#396871 - 12/07/14 02:48 AM Re: Overblown Demo Videos....... [Re: Krychek]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
All online demos these days are recorded into a mixer and the footage loaded into a video editing software program to get the pictures and sound just as they want, unfortunately unless you have the same equipment and knowledge of how to use it, (Not forgetting being prepared to buy the extra equipment) then you will never be able to get your keyboard to sound like the demo. (This is the reason I never make any decision of the sound until I play the instrument myself (Online demos are for entertainment only and serve no useful purpose as to what the keyboard sounds like)

Bill

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online