SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#388078 - 04/18/14 01:00 PM Wav / Aiff format backing tracks ?
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
After trying to put together a dancable Motown set I'm getting the urge to experiment with canned backing tracks. ( If you can't beat em join em)
After reading my Roland BK9 manuel it says you should have your tracks in WAV or Aiff format. I have no idea what that is, new territory for me, so anyone have any idea where I can get good quality ones.

#388080 - 04/18/14 01:06 PM Re: Wav / Aiff format backing tracks ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Bill what do you actually want to do with the backing tracks?

#388096 - 04/18/14 10:28 PM Re: Wav / Aiff format backing tracks ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Bill...

I make my own WAV or AIFF files from my own sequences. So, in the studio, I form my arrangement and sequence it into the Motif ES or XF. Then I create a stereo WAV by playing the song into my audio interface and into my DAW (Presonus Studio One 2.6). I might add some processing and then I mix it down to a WAV file. I'll drag that file onto my thumb drive. Then I go to the Roland BK9 and play the file. My keyboard is still active so I can play a live performance along with the background track.

A normal .WAV is a wave file at 16bit and 44.1 kHz. A normal 4 minute song takes up 40MB. So, 10 songs 400MB... 100 songs 4GB of information. An .AIFF file is just like a WAV but Apple used this format.

There are many different tracks online... both MIDI and WAV.

Also, you could use the audio recorder on the BK9 and playback MIDI files and press record... then it should have a WAV or AIFF file in your My Recordings file on the BK9 thumb drive.

Email me if you want to talk more about this.

~Johnathan - - - shueymusic@gmail.com
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#388112 - 04/19/14 10:37 AM Re: Wav / Aiff format backing tracks ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
OK heres the info on what I've done. I wanted to learn Marvin Gaye's "Ain't That Peculiar" Nice piano riff I could play live while singing it. I loaded the MP3 on the thumb drive and put it in the BK9. Sounded terrible. Tried the center track mute function and it sounded worse.
As a point of referance went out last Friday to the Elks Lodge where they have entertainment . They had a guy doing a DJ thing and singing to tracks that sounded like they were not full Karaoke but he just used a Center Cancel function on his laptop. You could still hear some of the original voices. Didn't sound good to me but they love this guy there. Even asked the guy who books the entertainment what he thought of this guy and he was all over him "you know he won three DoWop contests and he plays in Vegas "
So much for the general publics taste.
My idea was , hey I can do this on my BK9.
BK9 manuel says to use Wav tracks not MP3's. Went online and found a converter. Put the new version on the Thumb Drive and now it doesn't show up at all.
Should I try Midi tracks where I can cancel out a part?
This is new territory for me so forgive my lack of knowledge with it.

Thanks in advance

#388113 - 04/19/14 12:34 PM Re: Wav / Aiff format backing tracks ? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
you got mail smile

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online