SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#385988 - 03/08/14 06:02 PM Furniture-grade piano with arranger features?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Help! I need to move my arrangers out of the study and the best remaining location is the living room. Some of my friends are pianistically trained so I've been thinking about an auto-accompaniment piano. I want something that supports user styles, and is also a capable MIDI file player. However, I don't want a million wires showing, and this is my living room--I want it to look like a piece of furniture, not like studio equipment!

I'm familiar with the Clavinova CVP-series, which have Tyros features in a furniture-quality cabinet. These seem like great instruments that would meet my needs, but they're quite pricey (about $8000 to match the features of a Tyros 4.) I really like the "free play" styles so I'm reluctant to go for an older model.

I've also seen some Kohler branded products on eBay such as the KD-60 and KD-165, which are piano versions of the Korg PA80. Although not the latest technology, that's a pretty rich feature set and decent sound engine. One of these sold for less than $700 back in December. However, I've heard that production was taken over by Samick and quality went downhill. Does anyone have firsthand experience with these?

I think Roland made something similar for a while with a "KR" model designation but I haven't been able to find out if they support on-board style creation, or what arranger model they are based on. Any information would be appreciated. Also, if I wanted to spend the money and get an organ instead, does anyone know whether an Atelier will accept custom styles created on the G-70 / E-80??

There are a lot of smart, resourceful people in this community. I need your help. Please share your thoughts and suggestions!
Sincerely,
Ted

#385995 - 03/09/14 12:57 AM Re: Furniture-grade piano with arranger features? [Re: TedS]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
The Clavinova is probably the best all-rounder, and when you take into account the quality cabinet, sound system and key bed it is competitively priced against the Tyros keyboards.

The Atelier organs are also top notch (Although you do have to go up the range to get some of the features that are on arrangers) with quality cabinets, sound systems and key beds, and as far as I am aware they will play G70/E80 styles. (Which although these days are quite antiquated, still show a clean pair of heels to anything Yamaha currently produce (Personal Opinion)

The downside is that both Pianos and Organs are designed to be played, therefore the easy play style systems provided by arrangers are of secondary importance, and thus editing of them is more limited.

If you’re into Yamaha than a TRX System may be what you are after as they are extremely popular with those who have grown tired of arranger single keyboard limitations.

Hope this helps

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online