SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#385657 - 03/02/14 01:33 PM Great cure for split cuticles and fingers...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I don't know about you southern guys, but up here in the frozen north, every winter it seems, small splits in the skin appear as the temperature tends to be below freezing most of the time. In addition, because I play the NH circuit nearly every day, I tend to wash my hands a lot more, often right after I finish a job and climb into the van. I use Wet-Ones hand wipes, which seem to do a good job of preventing my from contracting something from all the individuals that want to shake my hand after a performance. I also wipe my face with the wipes - yeah those old gals love to give you a big kiss as well.

Consequently, your hands take a real beating, and tiny, painful, splits form along the edges of my index and thumb nails. And of course, you get chapped lips going from the warm to cold, nothing unusual. One day, after applying some lip balm to my lips, I decided to apply it to the tiny splits along the edges of my nails - it worked. Within two days the splits were completely healed. I had been suffering with them for months and tried Bacctracin, Zink Ointment, and a host of other remedies, none of which did a thing.

Thought you northern guys that suffer with this sort of malady might want to know.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#385702 - 03/03/14 03:45 AM Re: Great cure for split cuticles and fingers... [Re: travlin'easy]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Yes, I suffer with the same split finger ends, mainly thumbs so your lip balm tip I will try.

#385708 - 03/03/14 06:16 AM Re: Great cure for split cuticles and fingers... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA

#385709 - 03/03/14 06:36 AM Re: Great cure for split cuticles and fingers... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
When I need near immediate relief from cracked fingertips I use this stuff with good success.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/new-skin-liquid-bandage/ID=prod351961-product

#385710 - 03/03/14 06:39 AM Re: Great cure for split cuticles and fingers... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

how do you guys play with this problem?

#385713 - 03/03/14 06:48 AM Re: Great cure for split cuticles and fingers... [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
how do you guys play with this problem?

PAINFULLY ! ...

#385716 - 03/03/14 07:18 AM Re: Great cure for split cuticles and fingers... [Re: travlin'easy]
Fatfingers Offline

Seems like many of the the lip balms I've seen are dolled-up petroleum jelly a.k.a. Vaseline. Back in the days when I had concrete or ceramic tiling projects involving caustic substances, a coating of Vaseline at night would bring the skin on my hands back to near-normal by morning.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online