SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#379371 - 12/25/13 04:43 AM This is how modern Deejays work...
Bachus Offline

People thinking that todays deejays do the same as i did when i started out as a deejay over 25 years ago. Just putting up record after record and making them run timely... they are so wrong..

Here is a video of a modern deejay creating a live mix, with Abaleton live... and the Ableton live Push board.

So how can you play music on such a thing, well each key is touchsensitive like a keyboard.. here a little introduction to the scales..

Are you wondering what a musician can do with these tools and some VSTīs.. like play piano parts?

I hope this shows what our Youth is talking about when they talk about Deejays.. Are they musicians, i dont know, is this the future of music, i guess so..feel free to discuss.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#379430 - 12/26/13 12:25 AM Re: This is how modern Deejays work... [Re: Bachus]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I only got to watch the first video, but.......

....what a breath of fresh air this was. If I see one more post on the Tyros 5 or the 950 or the BK-9 I'm going to start my own Forum and the first rule would be......."no more that 50,000 posts about any one keyboard!"

This was really interesting. I'm surprised...and...I'm not surprised there were no comments about this (not even from Donny who is usually the first to bring to our attention the "changes" that are going on right under our noses)!

If we're going to continue as musicians and any of us plan on living to be 100+ then this is one of the ways we're going to have to go if we want to be entertaining the "Millennia" generation (the Ipod and Smartphone kids).

Personally, I find it exciting (and verrrrrry colorful!). I've been looking for a way to get back into "playing" but not what I was doing before I "burned!" This looks very complicated but real interesting. And even if you don't go this route, it's quite clear that technology is rapidly changing how "listeners" "listen" to music.

In actuality, I really think the whole thing (new ways of playing music) su**ks, 'cause it's not music anymore. It's just throwing a bunch of "sound bytes" together and keeping them in sync. And that lead line he's made up has less melodic value than radio static!

If I were to go into a setup like this, it would have to be to supplement what I do now (making actual music) and not transform the music into "robot talk." I think I'd rather be making pizza's at Domino's than have to play anything other than traditional music.

But.....it does look like it's good for putting MIDI files together and making styles (including my elusive cha-cha that I can't find a decent one). And, it doesn't hurt to stimulate your creativity by working on a non-keyboard!

I'm also a professional disc jockey. Without going too deep into this setup, can anyone tell me how a musician would use this setup other than making loops to link two songs (if that's what they use this for)? Or do the other two video's explain it? Again, I only have "dial-up" so I only got to watch the first video.

And, many thanks, Bachus, for bringing something "fresh" to the forum!

Mark

#379439 - 12/26/13 02:29 AM Re: This is how modern Deejays work... [Re: Bachus]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
It was interesting but not something overrule ever use . It is far too limiting but I can see how a dj might use it in a club setting.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online