SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#376076 - 11/22/13 04:20 PM Kaye's Music Scene Received Tyros5 Today!
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I received my first Tyros5-61 today. I've just plugged it in but won't have much time to play with it until Saturday. Anyone in the Los Angeles area interested is invited to come by and have a look and listen!
(Retired 2021)

#376078 - 11/22/13 04:26 PM Re: Kaye's Music Scene Received Tyros5 Today! [Re: George Kaye]
DannyUK Offline

Hi George,

Hope you're well smile

Looking forward to hearing your comments and mini review of this beast! smile

#376081 - 11/22/13 04:52 PM Re: Kaye's Music Scene Received Tyros5 Today! [Re: George Kaye]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Yes George...a review please.

I won't get to try one of these beauties (a Tryos5-76) for a few weeks at least.

Ian

#376192 - 11/23/13 04:49 PM Re: Kaye's Music Scene Received Tyros5 Today! [Re: George Kaye]
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I spent a couple of hours this morning playing the Tyros5.
In hooking it up to the Tyros speakers what is different now is that the mounted speakers now plug directly into the Tyros5 main outs and there are
on the back of the keyboard to route the wires so not to be hanging down.
I also attached stereo left and right cables into the two jacks on the back marked "aux L & R or sub out 3 & 4 and attached these to a Yamaha EMX212 powered mixer. I like that the Master Volume control on the T5 only affects the main out jacks and not the external system.

All of the additional new sounds are really good. The Upright Piano which was sampled from their U1 is really good. I expect nothing less from Yamaha when it comes to true acoustic and electric guitars and the T5 doesn't disappoint me at all. In fact, the use of all the great amp models and effects boxes really add the natural sounds the instrument puts out. I can certainly hear that even sounds and styles that are the same in previous Tyros keyboards sound better in the new T5. Having better effects and newer processing makes everything sound better.

The best new feature is the Ensemble voices. Amazing how they play. It truly is like having 4 musicians inside the keyboard playing strings, brass, vocals, etc. One of my friends from Yamaha will be coming later today to spend some time with me and I want to learn more about these Ensemble voices.

I have also downloaded some of the available expansion packages and loaded them into the T5 and now Middle Eastern musicians, European and Latin players will all be happy to know that they can have the ethnic styles and sounds they need. Many of the expansion packages available for the PSRS950 are available from Yamaha but now with some including over 450MB of new voices and styles. The PSRS950 could only handle 64MB.

I was anticipating this Tyros5 looking different than past Tyros models and I was expecting some additional features that were not included. I think for those needing 76 keys you will be very happy Yamaha has decided to build a 76 key version and for those happy with their previous Tyros models there is still enough new sounds, styles and features to make you happy.
(Retired 2021)

#376195 - 11/23/13 04:53 PM Re: Kaye's Music Scene Received Tyros5 Today! [Re: George Kaye]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: George Kaye
I spent a couple of hours this morning playing the Tyros5.
In hooking it up to the Tyros speakers what is different now is that the mounted speakers now plug directly into the Tyros5 main outs and there are
on the back of the keyboard to route the wires so not to be hanging down.
I also attached stereo left and right cables into the two jacks on the back marked "aux L & R or sub out 3 & 4 and attached these to a Yamaha EMX212 powered mixer. I like that the Master Volume control on the T5 only affects the main out jacks and not the external system.

All of the additional new sounds are really good. The Upright Piano which was sampled from their U1 is really good. I expect nothing less from Yamaha when it comes to true acoustic and electric guitars and the T5 doesn't disappoint me at all. In fact, the use of all the great amp models and effects boxes really add the natural sounds the instrument puts out. I can certainly hear that even sounds and styles that are the same in previous Tyros keyboards sound better in the new T5. Having better effects and newer processing makes everything sound better.

The best new feature is the Ensemble voices. Amazing how they play. It truly is like having 4 musicians inside the keyboard playing strings, brass, vocals, etc. One of my friends from Yamaha will be coming later today to spend some time with me and I want to learn more about these Ensemble voices.

I have also downloaded some of the available expansion packages and loaded them into the T5 and now Middle Eastern musicians, European and Latin players will all be happy to know that they can have the ethnic styles and sounds they need. Many of the expansion packages available for the PSRS950 are available from Yamaha but now with some including over 450MB of new voices and styles. The PSRS950 could only handle 64MB.

I was anticipating this Tyros5 looking different than past Tyros models and I was expecting some additional features that were not included. I think for those needing 76 keys you will be very happy Yamaha has decided to build a 76 key version and for those happy with their previous Tyros models there is still enough new sounds, styles and features to make you happy.

Thanx George for the mini review,... little by little we are discovering NEW features in the T5.... I hope to hear more tings that are POSITIVE also.... clap

#376215 - 11/23/13 06:21 PM Re: Kaye's Music Scene Received Tyros5 Today! [Re: George Kaye]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good review, as usual, George. One of the things I noticed most about the upgrade from the 3000 to the S-950 was I could hear things with the S-950 that I didn't hear using the same styles in the 3000. Huge difference, and I love what I hear.

Thanks again for your reviews,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online