SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#374587 - 11/09/13 11:03 AM What USB hub works best for S950?
DannyUK Offline

Hi all,

Quick question, I am looking for a USB hub that doesn't need power to work and that would be compatible with the S950 but looking through Amazon there's so many to choose from I have no idea if they all work.

At the moment I am using a powered one that I stole from the Rock Band game I used to play years ago on the Xbox, this works great but the USB slots are too close to each other and I don't like having to use the power all the time.

Also, I am very surprised that considering the S950 doesn't have an internal HD that it only has 1 USB slot, if that ever broke then you're in a bit of trouble. Hopefully with the next S keyboard they'll be at least two ports.

Thanks very much.

Edited by DannyUK (11/09/13 11:04 AM)

#374590 - 11/09/13 11:24 AM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: DannyUK]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
I would not recommend an unpowered hub to be used on any keyboard as it is very easy to overload the USB Port.

If you must go for one, then go for a 2 port USB 2 hub as this will reduce the chance of overload.

Hope this helps

Bill

#374591 - 11/09/13 11:28 AM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: DannyUK]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Danny,
I use a cheap unpowered 4 port USB hub all the time - even on my gigs - with my S950 and it works just fine. However, the S950 only will see two thumb drives at any given time.

Deane

#374596 - 11/09/13 11:46 AM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: hammer]
DannyUK Offline

Hi and thank you for the replies.

I was looking at getting the Belkin Ultra Slim 4 Port Travel USB Hub, it's quite cheap and it's not powered. I am only going to be using 1 USB at a time really, only rarely I'd use two, the only reason I wanted one was to preserve the USB slot on the 950.

#374610 - 11/09/13 01:38 PM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Danny, most of us use a tiny USB drive that pretty much remains in the keyboard at all times. Mine is an 8-gig drive that holds more files than anyone can imagine, and most of the drive is essentially empty. This is because the vast majority of the files used, styles, midi, and MP3 are very small. The tiny USB drive acts essentially as a hard drive and the only time it is removed from the keyboard is when new styles are downloaded from one of the sites and added to the drive.

The drives are extremely small, and only project about 1/4-inch out from the socket, thus no danger of damaging the drive. You can find them at http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nano-usb-flash-drive

Good Luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#374613 - 11/09/13 01:52 PM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: travlin'easy]
DannyUK Offline

Thanks Gary, that's pretty smart I may look into that as well. I would need around 16GB at the moment, I might be just about OK with 8GB. The memory stick I'm currently using is 64GB but that's because everything is on it with files that haven't been sorted through yet (I just don't have the time!!)

#374615 - 11/09/13 01:55 PM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Danny, most of us use a tiny USB drive that pretty much remains in the keyboard at all times. Mine is an 8-gig drive that holds more files than anyone can imagine, and most of the drive is essentially empty. This is because the vast majority of the files used, styles, midi, and MP3 are very small. The tiny USB drive acts essentially as a hard drive and the only time it is removed from the keyboard is when new styles are downloaded from one of the sites and added to the drive.

The drives are extremely small, and only project about 1/4-inch out from the socket, thus no danger of damaging the drive. You can find them at http://www.ebay.com/bhp/nano-usb-flash-drive

Good Luck,

Gary cool

I use a 32G nano mini USB in my S950

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Cruzer-Fla...32gb+usb+memory

#374620 - 11/09/13 02:19 PM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: DannyUK]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Thing is, with USB sticks getting larger and larger every day, why not skip MP3's altogether and simply go 16/44 .WAV?

For starters, if you want to loop or pitch/tempo change, .WAV's give better results every time (with often a lower processor load), and they also sound better unless you are using VERY high bitrate MP3's...

I intend to do this on my BK-9, skip MP3's and stay on WAV/AIFF's at CD quality. 32GB is still a MASSIVE amount of full bandwidth audio, far more than you'd need on the average gig...

#374633 - 11/09/13 04:15 PM Re: What USB hub works best for S950? [Re: DannyUK]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Couldn't agree more, Diki.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online