SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#371032 - 08/25/13 10:36 AM Auto Chords?
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
I have a PSR3000 and a Tyros 2. Do either (or both) of my instruments do the following? Is there a feature that will allow me to program a sequence of chords then let that sequence trigger the accompaniment (style play) as I play the melody on the right hand voices?
Thanks,
DVJ

#371034 - 08/25/13 11:50 AM Re: Auto Chords? [Re: deatonent]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Yes you can do it but it's not easy. You can program a chord progression into a multipad. Make sure you play all the chords fully fingered. If you want "on bass" chords, you can add bass notes approx 6 full steps to one octave below the chords. Set the multipad to be NOT chord matching.

Decide if you want to loop the chord progression or make it a one-shot deal. Since there are four multipads which you can stop independently from each other, you can have it both ways.

Use a short cable to connect the instrument's MIDI out to its own MIDI in.

Go into the MIDI configuration. Set the chord and bass recognition so that it corresponds to the output channel of the multipad.

Start the accompaniment with drum only or activate "sync start." When you trigger the multipad it will feed the arranger engine with the chord progression you programmed. You can still select styles, trigger fills, change tempo, use One-touch settings, harmony intelligence, etc.

You can create whole banks of multipads with the most common progressions for jazz, pop, etc. and change them on the fly.

The limitation of this method is that once you assign chord recognition to MIDI in, you will not be able to play your LH accompaniment "live."

If you really want to change back and forth between stored progressions and triggering chordal accompaniment in real-time, I would recommend picking up an old Roland G-800 or G-1000 used, or maybe the new Korg PA600.

If you don't need to use the chord progression with different styles, and you don't need to trigger the fills live then you can use the step recording mode or quick record and make a midi song consisting only of a static accompaniment. Then you can play both hands over it in real time.

Hope this helps! -Ted

#371039 - 08/25/13 03:41 PM Re: Auto Chords? [Re: TedS]
deatonent Offline

Loc: Tazewell, VA, USA
Hi Ted,
Thanks for the good info. I found the step record method in my owner's manual but it does not seem very practical. I'll give the multipad method a try. I'm trying to find a way to “stay in the game” since falling victim to a severe nerve disorder. I can't manage the fingered chords anymore and the single finger mode is too limiting. I've started to experiment with the “full keyboard” mode but I'm having difficulty triggering the right chords while keeping the melody going.
Deaton

#371041 - 08/25/13 04:05 PM Re: Auto Chords? [Re: deatonent]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
The new BK-9 and the Korg PA900 both have a Chord Sequencer. Only the Roland allows you to save and load them, though. Thing is, you can record these as slowly as you like (slow the temp WAY down!) to account for your disability (or use your RH), then speed them back up when you use them to play.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online