SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#369830 - 08/02/13 08:28 PM BK-9 Performance editor app released
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
BK-9 Performance Editor

Details are a little sketchy so far on this, there are better screenshots here http://filedir.com/ios/music/bk-9-performance-editor-for-ipad-screenshot-6790130.html

Looks pretty good... access to most things (from what little I can tell)

Looks like an iPad is in my future...

#369831 - 08/02/13 08:50 PM Re: BK-9 Performance editor app released [Re: Diki]
dralion Offline

And this cool app: BK Partner

When using BK Partner you can:
- Play your BK-series instrument while using your iPad as a duplication of its front control panel. This provides fast visual access to the BK’s main functions, Tones, and Rhythms.

Compatible products: BK-3, BK-5, BK-7m, BK-9

BK Partner for iPad

#369834 - 08/02/13 09:07 PM Re: BK-9 Performance editor app released [Re: Diki]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I personally, am in favor of the shift to using tablet apps to enhance KB's editing power.I knew that cars would incorporate the bluetooth deal as soon as they could, and soon, I predict that all cars will just have a powered speaker system that lets you tune in with whatever device you already have. Navigation systems are already almost redundant since smartphones.
I think it's great to trim down the price of these newer keyboards, and let users personalize them with their own app-friendly interfaces.
Just one man's observation of a new trend that I think will stick.

#369841 - 08/02/13 10:14 PM Re: BK-9 Performance editor app released [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

Personally, I'd have happily paid more for a BK-9 with the G70's touch screen on board. While iPad apps are great, I don't see how using one would be easier than the screen being right on the keyboard itself.

The G70 is probably the zenith of touch screen design, so far. Everything is pretty much exactly where you need it, exactly the right size to be touched and seen, navigation between screens is logical and integration with the sliders and buttons is superb.

Why Roland ever went away from perfection is one of God's great mysteries.. rolleyes

#369844 - 08/03/13 03:05 AM Re: BK-9 Performance editor app released [Re: Diki]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Compared to the Wersi Touch Screen the G70 (And others) are pretty crude, particularly as all the latest Wersi have a screen that is almost as large as an iPad. (The new Sonic Organ screen is like having a tablet on-board)

Back to the topic, we live in a time where everybody expects instant results with little or no work, (Hence Karaoke style play is so popular) so those of us that enjoy getting down to the nuts and bolts are not so important to the Arranger/Organ manufactures (Workstations and DAW are a different matter altogether though) so to make the software available as an add-on for a separate unit is actually a bonus. (Although as an avid editor and tinkerer having it on-board is the icing on the cake for me)

Bill

#369856 - 08/03/13 08:02 AM Re: BK-9 Performance editor app released [Re: Diki]
Diki Offline

It's not the size that matters, it's the layout and flow. Although, I admit, there isn't a single person I know in my area playing a Wersi, so I can't comment on that one. But I've played everything with a touch screen that is widely available. G70 is better by far.

And, arranger manufacturers have ALWAYS made arrangers with features less than 1% of the users ever use. I see no change in that at all. In fact Roland just added in to the BK-9 OS a bunch of stuff I'm pretty sure hardly anyone will ever use... but I will!

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online