Demo 4
Demo 5

Ned Amazing Demos from my friend...
Enjoy!
grin

#366594 - 05/22/13 03:56 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
donpatt Offline

Loc: Lufkin, TX.
Thanks for sharing, your friend is a "player" for sure!
I liked the way the demos were filmed. Could see everything.

BK-9 looking better and better!
Don P

#366597 - 05/22/13 04:43 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: donpatt]
Phantom75 Offline

Loc: Italy
Originally Posted By: donpatt
Thanks for sharing, your friend is a "player" for sure!

He is a player too...but he also invited three of his colleagues to realize these videos...
all of them are fantastic players!

Unfortunately I can only listen and watch..too far far away from me wink cry

#366600 - 05/22/13 06:01 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I am especially intrigued by demo 5 and the Steel Find Guitar. Can't for the life of me figure out how it's pulling off the strums and picking at the same time..!

Nice to hear the Keith Emerson quote, too!

I have to admit, there's a hair too much compression on the whole deal, whether added at the arranger or in post. Seems to squash it a bit much, and, despite the formidable skill of all the players, the mix is still a bit 'more me' when the drums come in most of the time. Even the best of us fall victim to this! But as usual, I'm just nitpicking... The guitar emulation on all of them is quite superb. Especially the jazz stuff. Nailed it!

I've got a feeling that, when (if!) I get mine, I'll be programming a fair bit of delayed vibrato on many of the lead voices. Without aftertouch to bring it in, seems like the player has to lift the LH a lot to get much expression into longer notes. Some long delayed vibrato might help out there...

But once again, proof that the player makes the axe... These guys could make anything shine! Bet you, put them on my old G70, you'd all be out scouring Ebay!

#366602 - 05/22/13 06:15 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
If the BK-9 can make me sound like that guy- I'm in! smile

I watched all the demos, and I really liked his version of "Stella by Starlight. The jazz drums sound very nice. With the CS, Audio loops, 76 keys, and a price point well under 3K, there's a lot to like about this KB.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#366603 - 05/22/13 06:22 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
Dnj Offline

Nice demos, well played, but nothing any top arranger out today couldn't sound like...the BK9 will do well regardless. Thanx for sharing.

#366608 - 05/22/13 07:22 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The styles sounded OK, nothing to write home about. The right hand voices, particularly the brass and guitars just didn't cut it, at least for me. The pianos all sounded fine, but of course, much of this may be due to the player(s), who are in the outstanding category.

None of the demos wanted to make me jump up and plunk some hard-earned dollars down on a BK-9. Think I'll stick with what I currently play.

Thanks for posting the links,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366616 - 05/22/13 08:28 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Not sure why, but the more I hear the BK9 via demos the less I like it.

To be honest Roland Arrangers have gone downhill since the G70 made its mark. (The E80 was a case in point as while it was supposed to be more advanced than the G70, it never sounded real to my ears, it was just completely lifeless and well short of the G70s capability’s)

Ironically the Roland Ateliers (Organs) have gone from strength to strength, producing a quality of sound these days that is way above any current arranger. (Although you do have to play them, rather following what the style dictates, which is always beneficial)

Does anybody have any ideas why Roland Arrangers have gone downhill, while their organs have gone through the roof, in what is supposedly a declining market?

Bill

#366627 - 05/22/13 11:14 AM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I noticed one of the players is playing 11ths in arranger mode..I can't reach the 11th with the root on my G70..I could on the BK5...here is hoping this is not the BK5 keys...I am pretty sure this is the same as the Juno Stage and Jupiter 50 keybeds..

Speaking of the Jupiter 50..I was so not impressed with this board..it is still basically a Fantom sound source with a few Super Natural tones..

I have noticed the Korg Krome keys are not holding up well...Two different stores and the same problem with the 61 key model..the upper keys are clanking (very noisy like they are worn already..Besides the sounds aren't great either..

For sure I will play the BK9 before I make a decision to buy one...

When I get back to my place and play the G70 and even the Media Station....it confirms to me that today's stuff just don't have the goods..

The two I have at home are the best key action available...and this makes a big difference to me..

As for the demos I thought they were okay sound wise...but i know how good the BK series sounds first hand...and there are quite a few styles that nobody can out do...and a couple were demoed..

Edited by Fran Carango (05/22/13 11:16 AM)

#366632 - 05/22/13 08:35 PM Re: New Amazing Demo Roland BK-9 [Re: Phantom75]
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
I like many of the sounds on the Roland BK-9 and I do believe Roland has a hit on their hands. How big of a hit is yet to be determined. For instance, many arranger keyboardists on this and other arranger forums simply will not buy an arranger with 76 keys. Even though the BK-9 is extremely portable at 20 lbs. 12 oz. Therefore, it will eliminate roughly 1/2 of the arranger market right there. But there are thousands of keyboard players around the world that will gladly purchase an arranger with 76 keys, including me. Although the BK-9 obviously has several missing features that could also be a deal breaker for many people. No on-board speakers for one. No after-touch, no vocal harmonizer, no Sampler, no song lyric scroll except through the video output socket i.e. using an external monitor - like the $500 iPad that is required if you want to see things in color and view easily readable text.

So with the cost of an iPad it would bump up the price to $3,000 plus tax. Taxed at 8% (where I live) totals $3,240. Then you'll need a decent vocal harmonizer which can cost over $700 (if you don't already own one), such as the TC-Helicon Voice Live2 which costs $750. Now you're talking $4,050 with the Voice Live2. It all adds up. frown Again, I like many of the sounds on the BK-9 and the styles seem very decent also. The bonus is the physical drawbars for the organs (and the reintroduced chord sequencer) and I'm guessing the key action is also much much better than the Yammie PSR s-950 and the Korg PA-600.

There are many things to like about the BK-9 and the most important aspect to me is the sounds. Although herein lies the dilemma for many people in my opinion. Do I spend $2,500 (the cost without the iPad or the vocal harmonizer) on a decent sounding arranger that lacks several high-end features? Or does a person wait for the next generation high-end arranger from Roland that will likely include all the missing high-end features but won't be available for another 4 to 5 years down the road? The time period between the G-70 and the BK-9 was 8 1/2 years! Roland is likely banking on people overlooking the BK-9 shortcomings because of the excessive wait time for the next generation high-end arranger keyboard to appear. In theory that could mean not until 2020 or later! Therefore, if you want a Roland high-end arranger (that unfortunately has several missing high-end features) you better jump on the band wagon now or you could end up waiting an extraordinarily long time for their next generation arranger to appear. I see Fran is a little hesitant to jump on the bandwagon but Diki will probably bite the bullet. Again, I like the BK-9 but I hate the idea of having to fork over $500 extra bucks just to see things in color.

I currently own a bunch of Roland gear but I could just as easily sit this one out if it turns out the monochromatic (1980's era) LCD screen(s) don't cut the mustard. Although it seems quite apparent to me they definitely cut the cheese. Cheesy is an understatement. I definitely WON'T buy an iPad that's for sure.

When a company does something right I applaud them. When a company does something that negatively affects consumers, I call them out on it. Money is the biggest motivator for a lot of companies. In other words, money often overrules ethical business practices and/or the desire to put the customer first. It's sort of like a fishing expedition. The fish in the sea are you and me and the fishermen are the various companies wanting to sell their various products. These carefully planned products are baited with a certain amount of goodies and the fish are supposed the take the bait... hook, line and sinker. You know, like the situation with the Tyros1/2/3/4 and so forth. wink Yes, a business is of course in business to make a profit but Yamaha took that concept to a ridiculous level regarding the Tyros in my opinion. Greed is the only word to describe it if you ask me. But I digress.

On the bright side the BK-9 is probably around half the price of Yammie's Tyros4 successor. In other words, $2,500 (sans iPad, sans harmonizer) vs. $5,000+ for the new Tyros which will undoubtedly have a beautiful color, high resolution LCD screen and a vocal harmonizer included. But there are rumors circulating that claim Yamaha has decided to quit making high-end arrangers and will instead deal exclusively in low to mid-range arrangers. A real shame if it's true. On the other hand some sources say Yamaha will in fact release a Tyros4 successor by the end of this year. Only Yamaha knows for sure. Although if Yammie does release a Tyros4 successor and it costs $5,000+... it better be worth it. No way is the Tyros4 worth its current price in my humble opinion. As we know there is a devoted passion and strident following concerning the Tyros series keyboard. The first one cost $2,499 - introductory offer - (the one I bought) and Yamaha conveniently took advantage of its popularity and more than doubled the price in just eight short years. Although it's a cunning marketing scheme it's terrible for consumers who end up paying through the nose. Although a lot of people don't mind paying through the nose for a certain product and that's the people Yamaha is trying to take advantage of. If people continue paying exorbitant price(s) for each successive generation of Yammie (or other manufacturer's) high-end arrangers, then Yammie (and other manufacturers) will undoubtedly continue to charge exorbitant prices to people who don't mind paying through the nose. Nosebleed anyone? That's why the BK-9 has sparked a lot of interest in my opinion. It's a competitively priced product but the cheesy LCD screen(s) and the lack of other high-end features could end up being its Achilles heel. Especially when you consider a lot of people might forgo buying the BK-9 because of the necessity to purchase an iPad to see things in color. Most people don't own an iPad and $500 bucks is $500 bucks. To most people that serious dough and may prevent them from buying the BK-9 unfortunately. Although Roland must have factored that into the equation. Time will tell if it does as well as they are hoping it will.

All the best, Mike

Edited by keybplayer (05/22/13 08:43 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online