SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#366848 - 05/28/13 07:20 PM Great S950 Demo
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Here is Martin Harris doing a S950 demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut8pceVww7Y

Deane

#366857 - 05/29/13 02:58 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: hammer]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
This guy will make a TOY sound PRO, but it's a very good board.

#366864 - 05/29/13 07:41 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: hammer]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
While much of the S950's success can be attributed to the the incredibly new and exciting features, unfortunately, only a very tiny fraction of the owners actually take advantage of them. The S-950 is undoubtedly one of the most incredible, MOTL keyboards ever produced - no doubt about it. And, Yamaha listened to what many members of this and other forums asked for, and for the most, provided the goods.

The demo was outstanding, which is the case with nearly every Yamaha demo I've seen in the past decade. They tend to hire the globe's best, most talented players, who apparently learned every aspect of the keyboard. Not only can they easily navigate through the myriad of menus, they obviously have excellent communicative skills. Granted, they're reading scripted information, but they obviously know what they are talking about as well.

I've given serious consideration to upgrading to the S-950, if for nothing else, maybe a retirement toy. Of course, my wife says I already have too many toys. (She considers a garden tractor a toy.) After playing Joe Ayala's and another friend's S-950, I can honestly say the sounds are absolutely incredible. The guitars, in particular, cannot be beat by even the TOTL arrangers currently available. The sax and brass sounds are absolutely incredible, especially when in the hands of someone that has taken the time to learn how to emulate those instruments.

The concert grand piano bears a very close resemblance to Yamaha's actual grand piano, but it still requires a bit of tuning to duplicate the depth and resonance of Joe Ayala's Yamaha Grand Piano that he flawlessly plays.

For now, I think I'll stick with my PSR-3000s (yes I still have 2 of them) as they continue to provide me with outstanding quality and reliability, year, after year, after year. Kinda like Fran with his G-1000. And, I suspect that by the time I get to retire, which is about 3 days after I'm dead, Yamaha, or maybe some other manufacturer, will come out with something even more exciting.

Thanks for the link, Deane,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#366876 - 05/29/13 09:36 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: hammer]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Fran still rocking his G1000? LOL

#366880 - 05/29/13 10:15 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: Diki]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By: Diki
Fran still rocking his G1000? LOL

Nope!!! it went to a new home a few years ago... smile

#366881 - 05/29/13 10:34 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: hammer]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I understand why Gary, Donny and others are so fond of the S950...yes it has some great sounds, a few drum kits (audio) are fine too,,,unfortunately for me it is the negatives that doom the s950 for me..

Personally speaking..I just cannot own that keybed again...If they improved just this single thing, I would entertain the idea of owning one..

Another few points...I am use to much better drums..sure the s950 drums work, but it is another compromise, I don't want to make...

I so much rather have a touch screen..this even bugs me with the BK series..even with the better drum kits..and the more powerful editing tools on the BK's...a touch screen would make a big difference..

The lack of markers on both the s950 and BK's is another downer..(Yes I recall the work around comments with the s950..but it is not the same)..

The pluses of the BK-9 over the BK5 and yes the Yamaha and Korg offerings too...will have to impress me..a lot..to get the BK9..

Talking with Ron , I understand the keys on the BK9 are actually better than the Juno Stage...that is good news...he mentioned the remix of styles and the quality of sounds are noticably better on the BK9..

The 20 pound weight and mic input along with the comments from Ron..make this an interesting buy....but I am not sure I want to give up the better options available on my G70 just for a weight factor...

Hopefully I will have a hands on...BK9 experience next week..

As I opened my post..I do understand why you guys are happy with the s950...but I am spoiled by alternatives..

#366883 - 05/29/13 10:50 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: hammer]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Remember seeing the demo yonks ago, always good to see again though.

Bill

#366885 - 05/29/13 10:53 AM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: travlin'easy]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
While much of the S950's success can be attributed to the the incredibly new and exciting features,

I assume you mean for a Yamaha, as otherwise their is nothing new and exciting at all.

Bill

#366897 - 05/29/13 01:44 PM Re: Great S950 Demo [Re: hammer]
zuki Offline

Watching him stand is exactly how I got Bursitis in my left hip over 6 years (careful).

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online