SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#360872 - 02/09/13 10:26 AM Maui LD28 mini-review
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Hi all,

I have finally received the first of what may be a pair of the Maui LD28 Speakers.

http://www.ld-systems.com/370-1-ld-maui-28.html

They operate in the same manner as any of the Bose PAS systems, but probably not the "little" Bose.

I have owned and used at shows the L1 Model I and the model II with the Tonematch so that is what I am comparing against.

The footprint of the system is about the same as the Model II and certainly less that the model I, and is about the same height.

It is a rather aesthetically pleasing appearance, and having one on either side would still only create a stage space of a tad over 2 metres (that is with a 73 note keyboard), if stage space is at a premium at the venue.

You will need a mixer with it as the controls are very simple, overall level and sub mix level. However it has clever electronic circuitry that runs with no user intervention to ensure the amps and speakers do not get cooked.

One could get away with no mixer for either of the Bose systems, and although it was not ideal, it worked.

I have found that the one knob control of the sub level a bit quicker and easier than the few steps you need to go through on Bose systems to achieve the same (assuming no mixer with EQ is in the system). Actually even with the Bose Tonematch mixer it still needed a couple of steps to set it.

Setup is so easy - about 10 seconds and away you go. The bottom section of the "pole" is VERY tight into the base unit, but I suspect it has neoprene or nylon bushes so that the fitting remains snug so the tower cannot be easily dislodged. There is no locking mechanism as there is on the Bose systems.

Weight is about the same as the Bose model I, but a tad heavier (not much, maybe a kilo or so) than the model II

No covers are supplied, but they are available aftermarket. But at the price point, no quibbles here

SOUND

Okay the important bit.

In my view these are the equal of either Bose system, and I might add that I think vocals out of the box are superior to the Bose. I tested by simply running everything flat, and then playing some songs (with vocals) exactly as I had done with the Bose systems.

The speaker "spread and throw" is exactly the same as the Bose L1 systems, and I tested this in exactly the same way as I originally did on the Bose. Which is to place the system and do a 180 degree walk from the left side parallel to the system and at about 50 feet, and then proceed all the way to the right side (in the shape of a D if you can picture that) all the while facing the speaker.

I discerned no difference at all between the Bose test and the Maui test. The sound was even and balanced.

The acoustic pianos bare still had that slight "honky" sound that is prevalent in the Bose systems (even though Bose techs deny it!!!) but I felt overall in a mix the mids presence was far greater on the Maui than on the Bose. Although EP's on either were never a problem.

It could do with a little tweak, but not as much as I needed to do on the Bose system.

In fact on the L1, I could not run it without a mixer purely for that reason (MIDS control). I needed some external EQ outside of the presets - which did have a mids augment preset as I recall but it did not work very well - the II had the tonematch so was better to setup.

One thing I found good was that the Maui actually has two inputs, a left and right, so that even if you are running one system, you can actually route a left and right signal to it from the mixer... no need for summing and no apparent loss of stereo field sample data ( Yammie owners might like this smile )

The Maui LD28s do have a curious "quirk" though. If you stand within 4 feet of them they sound a little muddled in frequency and overall balance of sound, but move out of that 4 feet space and it reverts back to good immediately. So I think some folks have had them too close and are consequently getting a less than desirable sound.

I will add that when I had the Bose systems close to me the sub levels were almost overwhelming. Out in the middle of the room the mix was great, but close to them - and at some gigs you had no choice but to stick them really close - it was pretty bad..I had to always restrain myself from adjusting the sub level from my perspective, and keep in mind that "out there" it was pretty good.

I did get used to it, but it was annoying. So this "quirk" of the Maui is no issue. I emphasis that outside of this zone they sound really sweet.

The overall sub level and "punch" is okay, although I think the Bose shades it here. But not enough of a difference to justify an extra $2200 for the Bose Model II. And that is WITHOUT the Tonematch box which adds a further $400+

The sub has twin 8" sub drivers compared to the Bose B1 module which has just the one, but I have to say the Bose B1 module is a bit "cooler" and better designed, although it must be said that the Maui needs to also house all the electronics in the sub unit as well, whereas the Bose has all of this in the separate base unit.

So Bose has 4 bits to connect, and the Maui has 3...no biggie.

I would suggest (as I have not had them at a show yet) that a single Maui would comfortably cover around 150* seated, and around 75 -100* dancing. So for a big pub gig I will certainly need two systems, although at a total cost of $2500 for BOTH systems, it still comes in at around $1000 LESS than one Bose Model II.

So far it has all been pretty positive. And I will try to remember to update once they have been blooded!!

Dennis

PS: * = Depends on room shape and type.....

#360882 - 02/09/13 11:14 AM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
Dnj Offline

Dennis great review...good luck with your new Maui LD28 PA system, I've heard nothing but good things keep us posted after you have gigged it at different venues that's the real test. Would also love someone to compare A/B/C The Maui Ld28 system vs the HK Audio Elements PA system & Bose model II also.

Edited by Dnj (02/09/13 11:16 AM)

#360890 - 02/09/13 01:58 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I saw them at NAMM, they were very cool, especially for the price. I would have to say they are very close to the Bose products, some points being better some not.

LD has contacted me and wants me to bring some in and see how they compare to the Bose and HK systems,

#360892 - 02/09/13 02:27 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
Torch Offline

Dennis,

Thanks for the detailed review. What is the weight of the sub?
This vendor in Europe list it as 20.5 kg and I would think that is right. http://www.session.de/LD-Systems-Maui-28.html

I've seen people taking the sub out of the box with ease and I knew that it could not be sixty pounds. So 45 lbs for the sub sounds right.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#360896 - 02/09/13 03:13 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
miden Offline

Now that surprised me - it is 27kgs (the Bose L1 model I is 16)...

Being totally honest, I really did not feel the weight difference.
It is one of those deceptive ones I think as it picks up and moves really "light" if you get my meaning.

I have had lighter boxes that felt heavier than stated weight simply, because of balance and design...

Anyway, there ya go smile

#360904 - 02/09/13 04:26 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
Torch Offline

LOL. I thought sound was pretty deceptive, but now even the weight is deceptive. I know what you mean, though.

Thanks, Dennis, for confirming the weight.

Chris

#360906 - 02/09/13 04:57 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
miden Offline

all good Chris- don't hesitate to ask if you need more...

There are not too many things I label with the "no-brainer" tag, but these, at the price....they are very close..

Cheers m8

Dennis

#360915 - 02/09/13 06:58 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
miden Offline

No hotter than any other non-fan cooled amplifier I have used Brian...

So far wink

It gets to a certain temp but then just stays there and gets no hotter - mind you I have only used it in a smallish hall, with no people so I have not really run it at 9 wink for any length of time yet.

Can you link me to the review? I would not mind seeing it myself smile or is it easily findable?

Dennis

#360918 - 02/09/13 08:46 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
Torch Offline

This user says it gets hot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmgCvDgWpGc

I will have my Maui 11 and Maui 28 next week.

Chris

#360919 - 02/09/13 09:09 PM Re: Maui LD28 mini-review [Re: miden]
miden Offline

Yeah mine got hot too Chris- but as I said, nothing I haven't experienced before with other brands. How hot, is really relative to the persons perception of hot, I guess..

After having it on at home for about 5 hours it was not hot enough to burn you and I could continually hold a finger on the heatsink without having to remove it...

I did not put that in my review as it was nothing unusual for me in my experiences...

Also of note is this guy is a DJ, and as with the Bose systems they are not really produced for DJ's!! So one needs to bear that in mind....but for a DJ to say he was happy with it nonetheless is pretty cool...

Anyway I will make up my mind permanently when used at a gig....

Dennis

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online