SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#357937 - 12/29/12 12:57 PM How long & often do you practice playing KB?
Dnj Offline

How long & often do you practice playing KB?.......

With my busy gig schedule I hardly get a chance to practice or rehearse at home in the traditional sense unless I get a stretch of a few days off in a row to do so,.... I Mostly try things out on the fly after all these years gigging its fun to experiment with new styles, arrangements, sound, etc, right on stage...spontaneity is a good motivator for me. When I have the time at home I'll usually sit down and play for a 2 or 3 hrs alone & sometimes record also when the need arises for a project, or just to listen back to parts and playing styles etc,..I also like to work on left hand skills as I am not a piano player & I'm always looking to add more intricate chordings with my LH .. It doesn't matter how long you have been playing there is always room to learn more & more.....
how about you?

Edited by Dnj (12/29/12 01:00 PM)

#357939 - 12/29/12 01:30 PM Re: How long & often do you practice playing KB? [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I work with about three hundred instrumentals and as many vocals. That is too many to practice at home, but rather, I make improvements on them each time I play them on the job. However, they are made ready to go at home, but may need tweaking for the venue.

At home, in my studio, I create registrations for new material, learn new songs, and constantly try to improve in general.

I probably spend 8-10 hours a day at the keyboard, either in or out of the house.

#357940 - 12/29/12 01:31 PM Re: How long & often do you practice playing KB? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I practice/play at least 2 hours a day, more if I'm breaking in a new arranger for demo work.

It's supposed to flow well enough so that it looks easy, and also to show the instrument doesn't have to be intimidating.

I generally divide it up, with an hour in the morning, and another later in the day. There have been days when I've spent nearly the whole day on my keyboard.

I also spend quite a bit of time editing styles for my own use, as well as sharing them with a few of my friends who also have Tyros4.

A few times a month I play Hammond B-3, and the nights we don't have a bass player, I do pedal bass and/or left hand bass, so it helps me keep my skills up in that area. I also play an 88-note digital piano with the same group, and on nights where it's just going to be me and a guitar player and perhaps a saxophonist, I take my Tyros4 to provide a nice full rhythm section.

I have decided to take a break from live gig playing (except for arranger demos) and may or may not return to it sometime in the future, but, whatever the case may be, playing music still occupies a major part of my life.

Ian

#357941 - 12/29/12 01:48 PM Re: How long & often do you practice playing KB? [Re: ianmcnll]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I practice about 3 hours a day, but not improving my chops, always. Today, it's practicing a difficult mandolin part for a recording Sunday. Generally, I spend 1 hour a day rehearsing tunes I haven't done in a while.

One hour is working on new material.

Russ

#357945 - 12/29/12 02:02 PM Re: How long & often do you practice playing KB? [Re: Dnj]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
These days I am spending more time at the grand at home. Before I retired from church, I got plenty of grand piano time in there. Now, because I do a series of piano concerts and a fair amount of solo piano work, I do have to keep my technique up to snuff. And recently with my getting the S 950, I put a lot of time into writing the registrations and going over all the features on the board. I'd hardly call this practicing as it was a lot of fun. I've had it out for 2 gigs so far and it's a keeper. I absolutely love this keyboard.

Joe

#357947 - 12/29/12 02:41 PM Re: How long & often do you practice playing KB? [Re: Dnj]
scameron Offline

There isn't a day that i don't do some time on my keyboards...i have always setup my mox8 and microarranger...that way i can practice my piano chops and also work with styles...since i use a pa50sd with my psr s910 on gigs...my home setup keeps me up to speed with my technique...music is always a joy.

Mox 8, psr s910, psr s2000, pa50sd, microarranger, cx3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online