SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#350996 - 09/12/12 08:54 AM Hacking your PSR-S950
Beakybird Offline

I wouldn't know how to do this, and I don't think I would want to do this, but here's a thought.

Yamaha purposefully gave the PSR-S950 a limited 64MB flash expansion so that people who wanted lots of bells and whistles will go for the Tyros 4.

On Yamaha's sell sheet they say that the initial offerings of expansion packs are styles and voices from around the world - ethnic music.

But if Yamaha started offering a great grand piano, killer organ sounds, SA horns in their expansion packs many people would want more than one and to not have the limitation of having to load each expansion pack.

So my thought would be to

1) Get a tablet and a 2GB flash card
2) Partition the flash card with 64mb partitions
3) Open up the keyboard
4) Remove the 64mb flash memory
5) Replace it withe the 2GB flash card
6) Find a way to control which partition the keyboard reads from the tablet

Then you can install as many expansion packs as you wanted, and if you wanted to change expansion packs you can just choose which partition you want from the tablet.

It's probably impossible. It would void the warranty. It's probably not worth it. Just a thought.

#351007 - 09/12/12 03:34 PM Re: Hacking your PSR-S950 [Re: Beakybird]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i did the that to my psr 1000 . it used floppies. so i bought and installed a usb floppy emulator. i used a 2 gig usb thumb drive. partitioned it into 99 1.44 mb partitions . now all my styles, registration, smf's are in one place. no more switching floppies. so in reality i only need (1.) 40 or so styles to perform (2.) easy access to midi files. so i don't really need alot. this seemed to work well for me on an old outdated machine.

#351008 - 09/12/12 03:58 PM Re: Hacking your PSR-S950 [Re: wrinkles303]
Beakybird Offline

Originally Posted By: wrinkles303
i did the that to my psr 1000 . it used floppies. so i bought and installed a usb floppy emulator. i used a 2 gig usb thumb drive. partitioned it into 99 1.44 mb partitions . now all my styles, registration, smf's are in one place. no more switching floppies. so in reality i only need (1.) 40 or so styles to perform (2.) easy access to midi files. so i don't really need alot. this seemed to work well for me on an old outdated machine.

I bought something from Russia for my PSR-2000 and PSR-2100 that did just that! It was some obscure thing, and I had to have a Russian friend call this guy long distance, transfer funds into this guy's bank, and then wait 6 weeks for the device to come. When it broke, he replaced it even though it took 3 months between shipping it and getting the other one back.

That's how I thought of this idea. I'm not enough of a techie to implement this idea, however.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online