SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#349922 - 08/29/12 07:06 PM Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method?
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I'm thinking of recording/converting my SMF files into MP3. What type of equipment have you used successfully? I have a Tascam U122 usb interface and several PC programs that supposedly record into mp3. Also have a Boss BR-532 digital recorder and a Zoom H2. And what if I want to add a vocal track or two? What's my best bet?

#349925 - 08/29/12 08:32 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Cass ... I use the ZOOM H4n for recording and can select what I want for output - mp3/wave ... if your H2 allows you to do the same it should not be a problem ...
Then you should be able to record that into your software and record as many tracks as the software allows ...
I've also recorded wave files on the H4n - it allows me to record 4 tracks - and then 'fed' them into ACID Pro ... ACID then lets me save as an mp3 ...
Hope this helps ...
PS how is Andy doing?

#349948 - 08/30/12 02:26 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I would use your USB audio interface to record into a multitrack DAW program. Whatever you are the most familiar with is probably the best.

But record to .wav. Converting to MP3 should be your LAST step (keep those .wav's, because later on, if you get anything that plays audio, an arranger or a laptop/iPad etc., if you have enough room on it, the original .wav's will sound better).

Once you have recorded the sequence, then overdub any vocals you want (maybe get a guitar playing friend to come in and do some tasty rhythm!) and mix to the final .wav.

As a doublecheck, record yourself singing the lead, mix it in about right, and make sure your background vocals are mixed right (and any sequence part isn't either overpowering or getting lost in the mix) before you commit to that final mix.

If all your sequences are already tweaked so you don't have to mess about with the main volume of the sequence player on the gig, you can probably go ahead and record ALL the sequences without moving anything, which will give you a consistent volume on the gig.

Only after they ALL are recorded, and you feel they are consistent volumes, and ready to go would I convert them to MP3. There are many programs that will do this in one batch for you (even iTunes can do this), so you can set it going and go and have dinner and come back when it is done.

Last advice I would give is, if what you are playing the MP3's on has a decent sized memory (or reads them direct from a stick), go as high on the MP3 encoding as you can... 256-320kbps MP3 files sound SO MUCH better than squeezing them into 128 or 160kbps files! They take up twice as much room, but room isn't the problem it used to be...

Hope this helps.

#349950 - 08/30/12 02:36 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Cassp, why not use the Audio Recorder built in to the S910? It records to Wav., and very nicely too.

There are lots of programs to convert Wav. to MP3 on your PC.

Ian

#349968 - 08/30/12 05:54 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

#350071 - 08/31/12 01:41 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Great ideas, guys. Diki's ideas ring true, but Ian's is so simple I forgot all about it. I will try to follow your advice.

TONY, Andy is just fine. I guess you must run into him now and then on your jobs. I didn't know that. I'll tell him I spoke with you. smile

#350078 - 08/31/12 02:53 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

TBH, Ian's idea is the best for initially recording the .wav... I forgot about the audio recording capability of the 910.

But once recorded, transfer via stick to the computer to add the BV's. At this point, it will be easy to adjust the overall volume of the mix if you have a file a bit louder or quieter than the rest.

#350096 - 08/31/12 09:38 PM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
You can record both the keyboard and your vocals through the built in recorder on the 910, and save it as a wave file. I, like Donny, use MIXCRAFT to edit, balance, and save the wave file as an MP3.

There are many other programs you can use to record/edit/convert audio files including the popular free Audacity Like Ian said, the 910 does a nice job on it's own if you have everything set up properly on the keyboard before recording.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#350169 - 09/02/12 04:13 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
Diki Offline

Can you record the BV's separately on the S910? The problem with laying all this down at the same time is, you goof EITHER part, you are back to square one.

Personally, I would still record the Arranger .Wav's first in the S910, transfer to the computer, and overdub BV's and mix there.

Alternately, TBH, if the audio interface is already set up for the computer DAW, recording the sequence through the USB interface into the computer initially will negate the need to transfer all the .WAV's off the stick.

Lastly, for the ultimate in sound, might I suggest that you use the computer DAW to actually play the SMF into the arranger? There is one strength (several, really) from doing this. Firstly, if you have either other keyboards or VSTi's with better sounds for certain sounds (drums, for instance), you can play those parts through the other keyboard, or route it through a VSTi. Secondly, if you have the time, you can record each sound separately, or at least do submixes (drums, bass, comps, strings, etc.) and then apply better effects and compression independently to each part. You can only do so much within the arranger itself. Better reverbs, drum room convolution impulses, bass amp simulators and things like this can do miracles to fatten up and make realistic some weaker arranger sounds.

Obviously, if you are on a tight timeline, you are best served doing it quick and dirty, but if this is a labor of love, taking your time and multitracking can give you some amazing results.

#350241 - 09/03/12 08:33 AM Re: Converting SMFs to MP3 - Best method? [Re: cassp]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: cassp

TONY, Andy is just fine. I guess you must run into him now and then on your jobs. I didn't know that. I'll tell him I spoke with you. smile

cass ... actually I 'met' Andy via e-mail through you a couple of years ago and he was a great help to me ...
You raised a great kid ...
t.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online