SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#349008 - 08/12/12 05:58 PM KMA Users: I've got a question
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
One of my biggest hangups in using the MicroArranger is in trying to change the keyboard sound during SMF play. Because I'm lazy and don't want to make a setup for every song, I often get stuck with sounds from the last style I used and can't get to something I want. Also, the 4 sound variations are not available during SMF play, what a downer. How do you deal with these issues?

#349009 - 08/12/12 07:11 PM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: cassp]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Cass,
As you might know, I use my KMA for gigs all the time but I don't use SMFs.
That said, it is my experience that everything you want to do on a gig with a song needs to be setup prior to the gig. Other then changing RH voices and variations I don't find the KMA to be user friendly for other tasks for live playing. I still love the little beast and for my needs it does a great job.

Wish I had an answer for you.

Deane

#349011 - 08/12/12 07:36 PM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: cassp]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Cass, I created 8 of my favorite instrument sounds and stored them in the first performance button. While playing a song I am able to select one of my favorite instruments.

My idea was to create one set of eight for Big Band and another for Rock giving me 16 instruments to choose from. I am talking about the lower section of performance. When you select make sure the style select on the right side is off; if you leave it on and select an instrument the style may also change.

Question: What are you using the lower section of the performance area for?

John C.

#349014 - 08/12/12 08:16 PM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: cassp]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Cass and fellow Zoners:

During the brief time I've owned a MicroArranger I've had a mixed bag of likes and dislikes. I really like it's compact size and I believe the sounds of the various styles are really good.

On the other hand, as a songwriter, I setup the arranger differently for each song. Coming from a Yamaha PSR-2000 background, the KMA seems difficult and ungainly for setup and the manual is one of the worst I've been exposed to.

I'm on the ragged edge of selling mine and attempting to put the money back into my warchest for acquiring a PSR-S910 when it's replacement appears in October. (Hopefully at a reduced price.)
I've only been able to create one song with my KMA and I had to patch it up in a WAV Editor to accept a vocal done on the Yamaha because I can't get the Mic input to work... even with a dedicated amplifier for my Shure Mic. I tried a Tube Amp and then a Behringer Mixer Type Amp with only a little more success but neither would produce a vocal at an acceptable volume level.

Maybe my KMA has a defective circuit. Deane provided an alternate method idea I have yet to try but it bypasses the KMA altogether as far as the Mic is concerned. I'm really disappointed that this little machine is not more user friendly.

I don't use SMF's either. All my songs are done with one live "take" and only one track. The setup time on the Arranger and each voice/instrument's volume is adjusted during that time and then edited further when the WAV file is tranferred to the PC before being converted to MP3 format.

I'm certainly open to suggestions or ideas.

Dave Rice

#349020 - 08/13/12 12:31 AM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: Riceroni9]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Dave

The input you refer to is NOT a mic input, it's a stereo line input. If you plug a normal mic in it will be low on output and will only output to one speaker. To use the input effectively you need to run the mic though a pre-amp which converts the signal to stereo and boosts the signal.

I use mine with either a Korg iH or a Digigitech Workstation Ex vocalizer and it works really well. Output goes to a pair of Behringer B212d active speakers.

Kind Regards

Col

#349022 - 08/13/12 02:36 AM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Originally Posted By: bruno123
Cass, I created 8 of my favorite instrument sounds and stored them in the first performance button. While playing a song I am able to select one of my favorite instruments.

My idea was to create one set of eight for Big Band and another for Rock giving me 16 instruments to choose from. I am talking about the lower section of performance. When you select make sure the style select on the right side is off; if you leave it on and select an instrument the style may also change.

Question: What are you using the lower section of the performance area for?

John C.

John

Could you show me how to set up groups of fav instruments like you have done ?

I don't need the accomp, just a fast method of changing sounds.
Email me if you'd like.

Bernie

#349032 - 08/13/12 05:49 AM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Offline

Bernie it will be my pleasure, but let’s do it by phone.
John C.

#349033 - 08/13/12 07:08 AM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Thanks John

Have gigs Mon, Wed, and Fri afternoon. I will call you in between.

Bernie

#349034 - 08/13/12 07:25 AM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: cassp]
Bernie9 Offline

When playing in the band, I have varying needs, depending on the season and what instruments show up. Presently, all sections are covered except strings,organ,guitar,vibes, and some brass.

I am using my Nord w/ Neo-Vent and KMA. I want my sounds available fast.

Bernie

#349044 - 08/13/12 11:07 AM Re: KMA Users: I've got a question [Re: Bernie9]
bruno123 Offline

OK Bernie here we go ----
Let’s use terms from the Kn7000 which you know.

All of this will be from the top of my head because I do not own
a KMA any longer; but I should be pretty close

1-Performance = Panel memory
2-Performance = Panel memory extended
3-Program = Selecting an instrument from sound memory
4-Program/Performance has 10 buttons on the top and when you press the last button it will bring you to 10 buttons below. My MKA had all the top buttons 1 thru 10 filled in. The buttons at the bottom 11 through 20 were empty. I recommend that you use the buttons below to store your information.

When using the performance button without the Style Change button you will be setting up the sounds in both hands and their volumes – Kn7 Panel memory.

5-Let’s start simple by selecting a button of your choice from the 1 through 10.
6-Press Card Write near the center of the keyboard. You will see:
A- Perf. Name: stereo piano Change this to the name you wish to see in the performance page.
B- Perf. N:01-1 Stereo Grand – This is the Panel Memory/Performance where you will save the new performance. Since we are not using Panel Memory/Performance 1 through 10 you must change the setting to #11 the first button on the bottom row.
C- Press enter – then answer “Yes” The information is now saved in Performance #1

7-Next job is to select the instruments/or layered instruments you want in the right and left hand– edit the volumes and save them to Performance in the same manner.
Bernie I can’t go any further until we talk on the phone. Till then feel free to ask.

John C.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online