SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#336714 - 01/19/12 04:54 PM Correction on misinformation and poor judgement...
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Some folks are giving personal opinions that are just plain wrong....

Overall the G70 has the best quality sound, all the samples are more detailed than the E50, and E60..and for that matter the G70 has an advantage over the E80 too...

Side by side comparison will always show the true facts...not a memory from one year to the next

I have done these comparisons ..not just with the Roland boards , but also the Korgs and Yamahas..

No Ian, the G70 is still the best sound bank in the Roland line up...Anyone with hands on experience and the means to do the side by side with same sound systems will know what I am talking about....

They all sound good, but the definition and detail of the sample makes the difference.....The G70 is absent of sample loop glitches that abound on Yamaha and Korg samples...I believe Roland still has the best sampling facility to date...

The other important sound design ..a uniform volume level and playability of the entire wave table..again Roland's strenght...

#336717 - 01/19/12 05:05 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Sorry Fran, I don't agree...technology has advanced considerably since the G-70, which was good in it's day, but sadly, is outperformed by a MOTL range BK-5.

Not just the sounds, but the styles do sound way better to my ears.

Just think, an MOTL S910 sounds better than an original TOTL Tyros.

It's no different with the Roland stuff.

If you are happy with your old G-70, I am glad for you...you can save your money.

However, the newer Roland stuff just sounds better all around...perhaps if John Smies was working with Roland gear, you might even be able to enhance your G-70 and bring it up to today's standards.

Ian

#336719 - 01/19/12 05:31 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: Fran Carango]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Fran I believe that you found a keyboard that was made with you in mind and that’s great. I felt that way with the Kn7000 – there was no keyboard made that could compare in the Big Band are.

The Yamaha and Korg may run a bit behind in the Big Band but in other areas there is very little to compare. Here is where I agree with Ian.

Many of the Technics owners that have crossed over to Yamaha and Korg but have not sold there Kn7000 and that’s just fine. I played the G70 once maybe I should have bought one, but the weight - OUCH!

After reading your post which normally carries a touch comparison with the G70 and other keyboards; and the way you praise it, (and there is nothing wrong with that), If I bought one I would be afraid it would never reach the expectation that you have given. It did look like a real Pro-Keyboard.

John C.

#336722 - 01/19/12 05:45 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: bruno123]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
When other folks take the same effort to compare in detail as I have done...then I will consider their words with merit...but for now it is all hogwash smile

#336723 - 01/19/12 05:46 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: Fran Carango]
zuki Offline

Another battle of the b(r)ands

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#336724 - 01/19/12 05:48 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

No need to compare in details...all one has to do is listen.

Ian

#336725 - 01/19/12 05:53 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: zuki]
ianmcnll Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
Another battle of the b(r)ands

What makes this especially ludicrous, is that Fran is battling within his own brand...remember, he is comparing old Roland to new Roland.

Incredibly funny.

Makes me happy to have a Tyros4 and be content with it.

Ian

#336730 - 01/19/12 06:29 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: ianmcnll]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Now I own both G70 and Tyros 4 and I feel both are great I agree with fran G 70 sound is great I feel G70 sounds are much fuller and not as thin in many areas Strings, Pads, Organs, Piano and EP as well shine on G70 drums fall behing and show it era , Yamaha does not do well except EP yamaha very good SAX and solo inst styles are both good but I kinda lean to Yamaha styles as for midi file players both great so the best thing for all of us here is to have both and we will all be happy i will be at Namm tomm so I plan to go thru the bk5 and I will give a report later I like both units and feel I am at my best when I have both on stage .

Edited by musicforyourday (01/19/12 06:31 PM)

#336733 - 01/19/12 06:46 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: Fran Carango]
ianmcnll Offline

This type of debate goes on and on...we all know that how an instrument sounds will differ from person to person,

Some like the Roland sound, some like Yamaha, and some, like me, enjoy both.

It will be personal opinion...so, how can one be wrong?

It is my opinion the newer BK-7M/BK-5 sound better to my ears than the older G-70.

Fran disagrees...it's a free world...neither of us is going to lose any sleep over it.

Ian

#336735 - 01/19/12 07:01 PM Re: Correction on misinformation and poor judgement... [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
I agree with fran G 70 sound is great I feel G70 sounds are much fuller and not as thin in many areas Strings, Pads, Organs, Piano and EP as well shine on G70

I agree with Fran also... ..!

Showing G70 VH also...

Edited by Dnj (01/19/12 07:09 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online