SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#330401 - 08/14/11 01:28 PM Trade Rare Golf Club Set for PSR-S910
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hi Guys:

Please refer to my notice about these rare Kenneth Smith Golf Clubs in the buy and sell section. I hate to consider parting with them but I need a PSR-S910 more.

Thanks,

Dave

#330416 - 08/15/11 12:14 AM Re: Trade Rare Golf Club Set for PSR-S910 [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I still have a full set of Kenneth Smiths that I had built for me in 1968. Now they are too stiff and heavy for me to swing, but they were great in their time.
DonM

#330424 - 08/15/11 05:15 AM Re: Trade Rare Golf Club Set for PSR-S910 [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Hi Don:

When I was a junior member at Texarkana CC, all the rich doctors and lawyers bought these things through Don Murphy, the Pro at that time. Man oh man, I wanted a set so badly but could only dream of owning a set.

Now, fifty plus years later I have a set and would not dare attempt to play them... lol! These things were built to last and you can tell the original owner really took care of them.

I love the Persimmon Heads on the woods with that distinctive weight at the back. I forgot to mention that each wood still has the original leather club cover in mint condition.

Have you ever thought about selling your set?

Dave

#330436 - 08/15/11 08:02 AM Re: Trade Rare Golf Club Set for PSR-S910 [Re: Riceroni9]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Didn't figure they were worth much. Don't know if I still have the woods, but the irons, 3-LW are intact. Also, they are left-hand.
When I bought them in 1968, the woods were $45. apiece and the irons were $30. apiece. That was $390., a lot of money in those days. Now, some people pay more than that for a driver.
I've been making my own clubs for more than 20 years. I went into business with Irving King back then. Mr. King, Sr., told me he went to Kansas City and spent two weeks with Kenneth Smith, learning the tricks of the trade. Irving built clubs for a lot of pros back then, including some for Hogan. More recently Hal Sutton and Payne Stewart would stop by the shop, more to adjust lofts and lies, redo wrappings, etc.
These days everything is done for the pros for free. They are paid to play their gear.
Sorry, this is WAY off topic.
BTW, another of our local heros, David Toms, did well in the PGA. He grew up playing our course here and helped design the remake a few years ago.
DonM

#330447 - 08/15/11 12:35 PM Re: Trade Rare Golf Club Set for PSR-S910 [Re: Riceroni9]
Riceroni9 Offline

Don:

I remember those King Clubs. They seemed (according to my rapidly aging memory) very similar. Had no idea that you were connected to them. Thanks for sharing. Hang on to those irons... even though they are "wrong handed"... LOL!

Speaking of David Toms... he played well yesterday. Remember our Bill Rogers who won the British Open. Strange how he "flamed out so early" and his opponent for that event is still going strong.

Gee whiz, that was one great golf match yesteday. Both of those young turks deserved to win.

Dave Rice

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online