SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#324818 - 05/24/11 07:30 AM Trojan got me
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
The laptop I use for checking out SZ, picked up a Trojan in the system 32 area....My "protection" picked it up and I removed it....It asked to re boot to finish the job...after reboot, a warning came up after scan, saying I lost 38 percent of my hard drive and data..the laptop boots up but will not operate efficiently anymore...Be Careful

#324871 - 05/24/11 04:36 PM Re: Trojan got me [Re: Fran Carango]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Fran,

May I ask which anti-virus software you use?

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#324873 - 05/24/11 05:06 PM Re: Trojan got me [Re: kbrkr]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
Fran,

May I ask which anti-virus software you use?

AVG Free

#324891 - 05/24/11 08:22 PM Re: Trojan got me [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Yes I have used AVG forever on all my computers...I placed the trojan in the vault..I didn't remove it..apparently being in system32, the trojan requested reboot...and destroyed sectors on the hard drive..I will replace the drive and reinstall the OS (XP Professional)..

This is my knock a round Compaq 2570us laptop and nothing on it that I can't replace , other than email and a few pics..

Edited by Fran Carango (05/24/11 08:25 PM)

#324894 - 05/25/11 12:40 AM Re: Trojan got me [Re: Fran Carango]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
If AVG let it actually cause that much damage then it isn't doing a very good job. Nowadays I would suggest using Microsoft's free Security Essentials malware and virus protection http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/mse.aspx It is free also and most probably has a lot more money behind it to keep it up to date.

#324899 - 05/25/11 04:16 AM Re: Trojan got me [Re: Fran Carango]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
That totally sux Fran. It's a big debate on which Anti-virus protection software is the most effective. Everyone has their favorites (much like arrangers).

I've been using Norton 360/ Symantec for 15 years or more and I have never been hit with any type of virus or Trojan; and I push the limits by downloading lots of software. I pay $129 a year to protect 5 computers in my house and it seems a pretty good investment. It also protects me from Internet phishing and suspicious web sites.

Do you have any type of protection installed on your Mediastation? And now we have to worry about our Tablet PC's as well.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#324912 - 05/25/11 08:45 AM Re: Trojan got me [Re: kbrkr]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Microsoft Security Essentials vs Avira vs avast! vs AVG: A comprehensive comparison to help you decide which (free) anti-malware security software you should use.

This article from a respected techie site was updated about 6 months ago.

See the comparisons
Click Here

Eddie

#324924 - 05/25/11 11:09 AM Re: Trojan got me [Re: kbrkr]
Tony Hughes Offline

Originally Posted By: kbrkr
That totally sux Fran. It's a big debate on which Anti-virus protection software is the most effective. Everyone has their favorites (much like arrangers).

I've been using Norton 360/ Symantec for 15 years or more and I have never been hit with any type of virus or Trojan; and I push the limits by downloading lots of software. I pay $129 a year to protect 5 computers in my house and it seems a pretty good investment. It also protects me from Internet phishing and suspicious web sites.

Do you have any type of protection installed on your Mediastation? And now we have to worry about our Tablet PC's as well.

Al.

Like you I have been using Norton for the who knows how may years as long as Nortons been around.

Never had any problems, as for free software, at 67 I learned nothings free, not even fresh air!

Tony

Edited by Tony Hughes (05/25/11 11:10 AM)
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#324938 - 05/25/11 01:55 PM Re: Trojan got me [Re: Fran Carango]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great information Eddie. The local radio station has a computer tech show on every Sunday, and the guests have repeatedly stated that there is no such thing as a perfect, antivirus program. Your antivirus program is as good as the last virus detected, reported and updated. New virus' often take up to a month to show up to the level where program updates are created to combat them. The same guests agreed that AVG and AVG-Free were the best of all the antivirus programs--better in most instances than those you must pay an annual fee to use.

Virus', worms, variants, etc.., primarily are picked up from emails, and more often than not they are in emails that have been forwarded dozens, if not hundreds, of times. The ones that you should be particularly aware of are those that say you must forward this to everyone on your mail list or something bad, or good, will happen to you.

Another nasty one that recently rose it's ugly head as a big-time scam that a lot of folks have fallen for. It's a pop-up that states you have a worm, or virus, it was detected by Norten, AVG, etc.., but could not be repaired. To repair this you must click on a link, one that sells a fix for this nasty worm (that you do not have, but soon will), and all you have to do is pay them $10. Next, it will ask for you to pay with a credit card, and tell you it's a secure site. Now they not only have your credit card number to go shopping with, at the end of the message your screen will go black and your hard drive is trashed. Lovely bastards they are.

The irony of this is my wife got the message the same day we were listening to the computer tech program, she followed their instructions, which was to turn off the computer by holding down the On/Off button and let the computer reboot using scan disk. It worked and she has not seen the message again.

Like Eddie, I also use a couple other programs to keep the computer clean, they're free, they work great, and they provide a bit of an edge against some of the Internet nasties. Among the best is Advanced System Care, which I highly recommend.

Thanks again, Eddie,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#324943 - 05/25/11 02:06 PM Re: Trojan got me [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

I guess its worth it to buy a Mac?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online