SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#324654 - 05/21/11 12:22 PM Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Since the original topic and subsequent threads were somehow lost, I'll give it another go.

Paul Blood... aka Montunoman

Again here is the recording of Black Orpheus by Paul Blood, otherwise known as Montunoman on this forum. In this particular track Paul is playing the T-2 and a GEM digital piano with Ira Bassett featured on muted trumpet.

It's too bad the original topic has vanished, because also lost were some nice detailed comments by Scott Yee, and others. Maybe it's possible Nigel can track it down.

In any case, it's a great recording that is part of Paul's new CD.

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324671 - 05/21/11 02:21 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: lahawk]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Paul smile (aka: Montunoman): As I said during our telephone conversation this morning,
I thoroughly enjoyed your rendition of Black Orpheus (aka: Mana de Carnaval).
Both your latin piano comping style (including rootless chords cool ) and your right hand soloing is both polished and imaginative.
I equally enjoyed your friend Ira's excellent trumpet playing. Thank you for so graciously explaining how you recorded your song utilizing the Tyros 4 "Guijiri" style, and later adding your solo piano playing on the GEM Digital piano, plus your reasoning for needing to do it that way. In spite of the number of 'rootless jazz' chords I outlined on a previous thread, arrangers still remain limited in recognizing many other jazz chords commonly played, including some of those Paul's played on this song. Nonetheless, arranger's, as beautifully showcased by this song, really are a wonderful asset to players of all genres of music, including Latin Jazz.
Paul, I sure would love to hear the other cuts on your CD now. smile
I especially enjoyed talking with you today because we both discovered we share a similar piano jazz & music study in college background.
btw: Paul was a drum & percussion major in college, clearly self evident by his excellent sense of rhythm in his playing. clap

#324672 - 05/21/11 02:48 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: Scottyee]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thank you Larry for posting my music. Someday I'll be a big boy and learn to do it myself:)

Scott thank you for your kind words. I have admired your singing and keyboard playing for sometime now so it was great to talk with you.

There is one small correction of your description of the gear used. I used a Tyros 2 not 4. The lovely lady in the photo (my wife and dou partner) would never let me get a T4. Maybe I can change her mind if we get some gigs:)

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#324676 - 05/21/11 06:27 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: lahawk]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I stand corrected. After all the fuss about a possible virus in the original post, and then having to do it all over again, I inadvertenly typed T-4, when I meant T-2.

Either way the recording was very professional sounding. I really enjoyed it.

Now we need another... with the better half singing perhaps?

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#324685 - 05/21/11 11:11 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: montunoman]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Hi montunoman

That has got to be the best recording of an SZ member ever uploaded here. You do a great job. I could listen to this all day.

I am wondering how it was done, if you are playing bass pedals or if you've prerecorded the bass. It doesn't sound like your using a style until the horn section comes in towards the end.

This recording answers a lot questions for people wondering what rootless and expanded chords sound like. That song with the written chords is nice. That song played with this type of voicing is great.

I hope to hear more.

It also makes me wonder if I should just keep my T2 instead of getting a T4 juggle

#324712 - 05/22/11 11:19 AM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: lahawk]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Hi montunoman (Paul),

Beautiful playing, excellent tasty licks, and a fantastic arrangement all add up to one of the best tunes uploaded here on SZ.

Your signature, "It not the keyboard, it's the keyboardist" is true, but I am very glad I bought and use a Tyros4, although, the Tyros2 is an awesome instrument, especially in the right hands...yours. wink

Ira's trumpet playing was first-class.

Thanks for sharing your incredible talent.

Ian

#324713 - 05/22/11 11:35 AM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: lahawk]
Dnj Offline

Nice job....aside from the Track balances and EQ I really enjoyed the groove of this tune, cool Latin flow & the mute trumpet cuts thru the mix nicely also well played.

Thank you for sharing

#324717 - 05/22/11 02:15 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

Thank you guys for listening and your comments. I'd be glad to send anybody a CD- just send me your address. Sorry, I'm just doing "physical CD" rather downloads for now.

Scott L, the style was just the stock "Guajira" on the T2. I muted the piano and maybe some over stuff too. I recorded first the Tyros by it's self, then recorded the Ira's trumpet and GEM digital piano digital piano at the same time. I wanted Ira to try the outro trumpet solo again without the mute. It sounded great but we both felt the change was too dramatic.

I recorded this tune using a Tascam digital recorder and a Shure SM 58 mic for the trumpet.

Someday I'd like to delete the Tyros part and have an upright bass player and live percussion. I find percussion a bit tricky to record with my gear so I'd probably have to a pro studio to do that.

#324718 - 05/22/11 02:19 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: lahawk]
montunoman Offline

DNJ, your point on the EQ and mix is well taken. I have a hard time mixing/EQ both recording and live. I guess I don't have a good ear for that, but I do know that I don't like what I hear coming out through my speakers.

What are some changes you would do if you were mixing this tune?

#324721 - 05/22/11 02:35 PM Re: Montunoman's Recording: Black Orpheus [Re: montunoman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: montunoman
DNJ, your point on the EQ and mix is well taken. I have a hard time mixing/EQ both recording and live. I guess I don't have a good ear for that, but I do know that I don't like what I hear coming out through my speakers.

What are some changes you would do if you were mixing this tune?

I've had a second listen thru my studio monitors this time..
and basically I would slightly lower the mute Trumpet & add just a bit more reverb. And increase just a tad the Piano.....but the real changes need to be made at 4:39 to the end.. the trill Brass is lost in the mix at that point & needs to come up front a bit. And at that point the mute Trumpet gets lost also, maybe at that point switching to a nice lead latin Solo BB Trumpet to compensate and cut through the mix...
Like I said this is what I would do......it's not rocket science.. wink Thank you again for your song.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online