SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#321745 - 04/13/11 01:10 PM early rock styles
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas

Can anyone recommend some styles that would work well for Tyros 2 for these tunes:

Jail House Rock (The intro/verse stop/start time thing is hard to pull off on an arranger?)

Sea Cruise- ( I haven’t found a rock n roll style that has the offbeat piano, in between straight and swung)

At the Hop- (up tiempo rock n roll with a constant straight 8th piano)

50’s 12/8 Rock Ballad ( with a constant triplet figure in the piano)

Thanks!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#321748 - 04/13/11 01:19 PM Re: early rock styles [Re: montunoman]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
For "Jailhouse Rock" use "Rock n Roll2"
Variation A is what you are looking for.
For "At the Hop" the MFDB recommends "Croco Twist", but "Combo Boogie" might work too.
They are in the R&B section.
Hope this helps
Eric

#321840 - 04/14/11 06:20 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: Eric, B]
montunoman Offline

Thanks Eric, the style for "Jail House Rock" works well. I don't know how I overlooked that one!

#322196 - 04/18/11 06:53 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: montunoman]
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman

Can anyone recommend some styles that would work well for Tyros 2 for these tunes:

Jail House Rock (The intro/verse stop/start time thing is hard to pull off on an arranger?)

Sea Cruise- ( I haven’t found a rock n roll style that has the offbeat piano, in between straight and swung)

At the Hop- (up tiempo rock n roll with a constant straight 8th piano)

50’s 12/8 Rock Ballad ( with a constant triplet figure in the piano)

Thanks!

I use Rock & Roll 2 also for Jailhouse Rock. On Sea Cruiese Piano Boogie works real good. On the 50's thing I use 6/8 Slow Rock 1 variations B and D. You'll find that if you're looking for 12/8 styles you'll find them listed as 6/8. I have played At The Hop but didn't save the style. If I get a chance I'll see what worked.

Scott

#322198 - 04/18/11 07:54 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: Scott Langholff]
montunoman Offline

Thanks Scott- I'm also using "Piano Boggie" for Sea Cruz but if you listen to the Frankie Ford version, he plays much more straight 8th with off beats on the piano.

I'll see if I can post a link, but youtube is blocked here at work.

#322203 - 04/18/11 08:22 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
montunoman,

Have you tried using the Groove function in your Style creator to give the Piano Boogie a more straight 8th feel?

Here's how, in case you want to try...

Choose the style PianoBoogie (it works well on other boogie woogies too) Select STYLE CREATOR, tab over to GROOVE, press any Style Variation Button, and when the SECTION window opens (below right on screen) use the up button under it to move the highlight so that it is on ALL. Press OK.

Then, under ORIGINAL BEAT select 12 BEAT, and under BEAT CONVERTOR select "8"....press EXECUTE and then SAVE the style to USER or USB. You might want to re-name it.

If you try it, let me know if it is satisfactory and does the job for Sea Cruise.

Ian

#322290 - 04/19/11 08:14 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Scott- I'm also using "Piano Boggie" for Sea Cruz but if you listen to the Frankie Ford version, he plays much more straight 8th with off beats on the piano.

I'll see if I can post a link, but youtube is blocked here at work.

montunoman...have you tried using the Groove function in Style Creator I outlined above, or did you eventually find a style for Sea Cruise?

Ian

#322293 - 04/19/11 08:36 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: montunoman]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I'm also using "Piano Boogie" for Sea Cruz but if you listen to the Frankie Ford version, he plays much more straight 8th with off beats on the piano.
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
montunoman, Have you tried using the Groove function in your Style creator to give the Piano Boogie a more straight 8th feel?
I tried out Ian's excellent "Groove Conversion" suggestion (on my T4) and think the "Piano Boogie" style converted to straight 8ths works great for "Sea Cruise". A big Thanks Ian. cool
Montunoman, I suspect my Tyros 4 style isn't backwardly compatible to T2,
but you should be able to (by simply following Ian's clear step by step instructions, quickly & easily achieve the same result on Tyros 2.
I wanted to upload my Tyros 4 format PianoBoogie straight 8th converted style here, but can't find confused1 where in this posting reply window to upload a file attachment. Can somebody tell me? Thanks.

#322294 - 04/19/11 08:38 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: Scottyee]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Scott, the Quick Reply screen doesn't have it. Use the Reply button. At the bottom you'll see File Manager.
DonM

#322298 - 04/19/11 08:44 AM Re: early rock styles [Re: montunoman]
ianmcnll Offline

Thanks Scott...the Groove function in Style Creator is about the easiest part of that feature...especially if you are given what settings to use.

I don't think styles created/edited on the Tyros4 are backwards compatible, but as you say, the procedure is simple enough for most people.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online