Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#318903 - 03/10/11 01:08 PM T4, VH2 tutorial and demo
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA

#318904 - 03/10/11 01:46 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
It's not bad, but I wasn't won over by his demo rendition. Far too much reverb, and I would have preferred
that the vocal harmony only be utilized at only specific sections of the song.
These are much the same complaints I had with his earlier posted demo: Good Luck Charm.
That said,I found the onscreen tutorial display of his custom VH 2 settings informative. smile

#318909 - 03/10/11 03:23 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I still think the TC unit in Korgs PA series sounds more realistic. Yamaha is still cutting corners in the vocal department, as far as I hear.

#318910 - 03/10/11 03:51 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Dave, you really should try the Tyros4's harmonizer before deciding if it is lacking anything.

All I've heard from clients is great comments, and I myself find the harmonizer vastly improved from the earlier units.

The demo presented isn't a very good showcasing of how the unit works, as very few of us would have the harmony on throughout the song.

Ian

#318911 - 03/10/11 04:08 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Ian, you're right - I spoke based on hearing the previous Tyros harmonizers, and the demos on line. I must admit, it'd have to be a night and day difference for me to change my mind though. The over/under usage is not the issue - it's the whininess that makes it sound so synthetic. Vocals are too important to me, and like many of us here, I have my "go to" sound .... I can't get it with Roland or Yamaha so far. Korg has been the best for me and Ketron was a close second.
My apologies for judging too quickly though. You are right.

#318913 - 03/10/11 04:19 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Dave, I certainly wouldn't expect you to switch from the great system you already have...it's just that the Tyros has finally got the harmony thing right.

Every vocalizer/harmonizer will have it's smaller details that will make each one appeal to a different type of singer, or type of music being sung.

Personally, I'm pleased to see the Yamaha VH come of age with the Tyros4.

I'll look forward to your impressions of the VH-2 when you get a chance to demo a Tyros4.

Ian

#318917 - 03/10/11 06:28 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
UD doesn't need any vocal assistance. With that voice?

Like all electronic equipment it takes practice to perfect the sound.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#318949 - 03/11/11 01:45 AM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
I'd like to hear a side by side. T3 VH then T4 VH. Doing the same thing on the same voice.

THEN we'd know it was either night and day, or just g'night, thanks for coming...!

#318974 - 03/11/11 08:28 AM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
I think the tutorial part was great, and the reason I posted it....it would me nice to see more of this on all aspects of our arrangers as we all share here.

#319034 - 03/11/11 04:49 PM Re: T4, VH2 tutorial and demo [Re: leeboy]
Robbiedoes Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hello there!

As creator of this demo I would like to say a few personal words.

Just as the previous demo, I've created this demo to let everybody hear the Vocal Harmony 2 effect. So it's not the issue about using it the whole song or not. By turning it on the whole song you can hear the quality of the Vocal Harmony 2 the best in every moment of the song, I think. And especially for this song: the original version by The Everly Brothers is also completely sung in harmony wink.

Also the usage of the reverb is just a matter of taste. It was my personal way to create a "dreamy" effect and to be very hounest...I really think I'm not a great singer so reverb helps me here laugh.

Please keep in mind that the main goal of this video is to let you hear the Vocal Harmony 2 quality on a song that fits to it and to share with everyone the way I've edited all the paramaters.

Now two answers on questions/comments I've read in this topic:
  • The difference between the Vocal Harmony of the Tyros 3 and the Vocal Harmony 2 of the Tyros 4 is huge in my opinion. Most important improvement is that the Vocal Harmony 2 is extremely more stable. The Vocal Harmony of the Tyros 3 (and below) was very unstable and very sensitive for any little microphone feedback. That's very much improved on the Vocal Harmony 2 of the Tyros 4. A great improvement for those who wants to use it in live performances.
  • One remark about the cutting corners in the vocal department. There is a parameter where you can edit this behaviour. So you can edit the speed of the Vocal Harmony bend. This demo the standard speed is maintained.

And Lee, thank you very much for posting my demo here on this forum! I really appreciate it when people share my YouTube links everywhere they can.

If there are any questions. Feel free to ask them here.

Greetings, Robert.

PS: No...I'm not a Yamaha employee wink. It's just an (expensive) hobby and I'm just a very happy owner of a great instrument that's made by Yamaha.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online