SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#315574 - 02/07/11 05:22 AM OT: thinking about buying one of these
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ

#315627 - 02/07/11 12:38 PM Re: OT: thinking about buying one of these [Re: mikey_maestro]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mikey, that's a 5120, isn't it? Really fun guitar. It's imported, of course, but very good quality (built in the Sammick factory-Korea-I think).

Over the last few years, I have acquired a Silver sparkle 5124 (close to the same, but with DeArmond pick-ups for that classic Gretsch sound) and an adjustable bridge-a silver sparkle 5566-double-neck (monster-comes without the required fork lift), the Beau Diddly rectangular body model (my alter ego is "FAUX DIDDLY) and a cool little CE 100 jazz box with a floating pick-up.

I have a 30 year old White Falcon, and these new, reasonably price Gretsches have the look and the sound (with DeArmonds) people look for.

I bought the silver sparkle first (available in Black, red, green, also) for a Rock-a-billy gig with a Philharmonic. Then, I bought the double, which was only available in Silver sparkle....now I have TWO SILVER SPARKLE Gretsch guitars.

I use the double-neck for the rock-a-billy stuff. The 5024 has never been played and retailed for about $300 more than the 5020.

Other than a poly coat, instead of varnish, the imports are close to the original in build quality and over-all "coolness".

My recommendation is BUY IT!

Russ (FAUX DIDDLY) Lay

#315696 - 02/07/11 06:33 PM Re: OT: thinking about buying one of these [Re: captain Russ]
mikey_maestro Offline

Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ
Originally Posted By: captain Russ
Mikey, that's a 5120, isn't it? Really fun guitar. It's imported, of course, but very good quality (built in the Sammick factory-Korea-I think).

Over the last few years, I have acquired a Silver sparkle 5124 (close to the same, but with DeArmond pick-ups for that classic Gretsch sound) and an adjustable bridge-a silver sparkle 5566-double-neck (monster-comes without the required fork lift), the Beau Diddly rectangular body model (my alter ego is "FAUX DIDDLY) and a cool little CE 100 jazz box with a floating pick-up.

I have a 30 year old White Falcon, and these new, reasonably price Gretsches have the look and the sound (with DeArmonds) people look for.

I bought the silver sparkle first (available in Black, red, green, also) for a Rock-a-billy gig with a Philharmonic. Then, I bought the double, which was only available in Silver sparkle....now I have TWO SILVER SPARKLE Gretsch guitars.

I use the double-neck for the rock-a-billy stuff. The 5024 has never been played and retailed for about $300 more than the 5020.

Other than a poly coat, instead of varnish, the imports are close to the original in build quality and over-all "coolness".

My recommendation is BUY IT!

Russ (FAUX DIDDLY) Lay

Russ, that is a G5120, i love the G5122 as well, nice build quality for imports. The pricier import ones are made in Japan but lots more. I'd love to talk to you more about archtops and semi hollows if you get some time.

#315949 - 02/09/11 04:57 PM Re: OT: thinking about buying one of these [Re: mikey_maestro]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Mikey, I forgot to tell you, when we talked about another possibility...an Ibanez Montage. Robby Wood, an Ibanez rep connected me. this is a hi-bred, with on board effects, a magnetic pick-up and a piezo. You can get anything out of it...probably the most versatile guitar I have. I play straight ahead jazz jobs, rock jobs and singles with mine. I got a black one and it looks and sounds great.

I've looked around and found that X-155 at GRUENS and other places in the $400.00-500.00 range. It's GREAT! Another friend had me play 2 sets for him the other day, and I used a
Peavey that looked like a 335...$199.00 and not bad at all.

Check Musicians Friend for that one.

Talk soon.

Enjoyed it!

R.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online