SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#315400 - 02/05/11 08:25 PM West Coast Swing
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Sooo...I have a Magic Night going...everything I am doing is working. A lady requests a "West Coast Swing". I have had this request before and none of the requsters could name a song that fit the bill.

Later, this same lady says Reba's "Take It Back" is an example of West Coast Swing. Oh...okay...a country shuffle.

Or is it? This is not a question for Capt'n Russ or Chas...:) JK
If anybody can lead me to what is considered West Coast Swing..it is much appreciated.

Eddie..the one in Florida

#315440 - 02/05/11 10:40 PM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: btweengigs]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Eddie, medium to slow shuffles, like Kansas City, work fine.
I've used Bright Lights, Big City, Blues Stay Away From Me, Back To Louisiana (I know you love Delbert!), etc.
DonM

#315451 - 02/06/11 03:03 AM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: btweengigs
Sooo...I have a Magic Night going...everything I am doing is working. A lady requests a "West Coast Swing". I have had this request before and none of the requsters could name a song that fit the bill.

Later, this same lady says Reba's "Take It Back" is an example of West Coast Swing. Oh...okay...a country shuffle.

Or is it? This is not a question for Capt'n Russ or Chas...:) JK
If anybody can lead me to what is considered West Coast Swing..it is much appreciated.

Eddie..the one in Florida

eddie you got mail....

#315453 - 02/06/11 03:15 AM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: Dnj]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Dnj
eddie you got mail....

Don't you think he will notice when check inbox?

I've really never understood why it's nessesary to announce in public when sent mail or PM (private messages) to anyone. confused
Cheers drink
GJ

#315465 - 02/06/11 07:30 AM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Thanks Don and Donny. That clarifies it for me.
Eddie

#315467 - 02/06/11 07:47 AM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Eddie,
Take a look a this link and you will find dozens of songs being
used by one of the West Coast Swing groups.

http://www.streetswing.com/2modswg.htm

Hammer

#315468 - 02/06/11 07:56 AM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: hammer]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Hi Eddie,
Take a look a this link and you will find dozens of songs being
used by one of the West Coast Swing groups.

http://www.streetswing.com/2modswg.htm

Hammer

Many of those songs on these lists are NOT good WCS tunes at all..... the tempo is critical.
here is a standard WCS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0OZ75MBdQA&feature=related

Edited by Dnj (02/06/11 08:03 AM)

#315674 - 02/07/11 03:54 PM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Eddie, in my time I've come to believe that anything with the term "swing" in the title is cool! Truth be told, to make a living, I've played more country, rock-a-billy, standards...lots of stuff more than straight ahead jazz.

Bob Wills and the predecessor, Asleep at the Wheel are FUN to play. That's not exactly current West Coast Swing, but there are elements of that nebulous word, "jazz" that make it fun to play and entertaining.

Bottom line, play what you like; just do it well!

Russ (closet redneck) Lay

#315718 - 02/07/11 11:49 PM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: btweengigs]
Scott Langholff Offline

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
West coast swing tends to be bluesy, R&Bish, BUT, just about anything pop will work.

The thing we need to remember is people are talking about a dance step. West coast swing generally doesn't have anything to do with swing as in big band type music. So when somebody requests a swing tune these days I always try to find out what kind of swing they are refering to. I find it almost always is west coast swing rather than say Honeysuckle Rose.

The speed is important in using different dance steps. The competition and social dance tempo for west coast swing is the same which is 112-128. These tempos come from the National Dance Council Of America, United States Imperial Society for the Teachers of Dance and the International Dancesport Federation.

Some people prefer west coast swing to be even a little slower than 112. Also, at around 128 you could dance a Triple Swing if desired.

Some tunes I play for west coast are Bad, Bad Leroy Brown, Love Potion #9, Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, Mustang Sally, St Louie Blues, Sweet Home Chicago and Watermelon Man.

#315720 - 02/08/11 12:10 AM Re: West Coast Swing [Re: btweengigs]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
Sorry Scott no offence meant here but do you really play M,M,M as a .."swing" Wow!! That's about one of the funkiest tunes I play. I really cannot imagine it as a swing.

Dennis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online