SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#311753 - 01/10/11 02:54 PM iPad - useful or what???
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I have an iPad now. Can I use it effectively as a reader or a midi source or an mp3 player? What are you doing with your iPad and what apps are helpful?

#311755 - 01/10/11 03:20 PM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: cassp]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Cass, The device is phenomenal I purchased mine the day it was released for sale last April, if given a choice of having only a laptop or an iPad, I'd be hard pressed to make a decision. For my use the device is better for media consumption than it really is for productivity, but it can work for productiviy as well. I've heard cases of reporters while on a flight being able to write a story for publishing.

I store all my owners manuals in pdf in an app called Good Reader
unrealBook for lead sheets
On line newspapers, including the NY Times, Wall St. Journal, Washington Post
Books from Kindle, Nook, Stanza and iBooks and they sync with the Kindle or the Nook e-readers.
My entire digital photo library stored and used for slide shows
On line radio stations including Pandora, WonderRadio, Last.Fm, Slacker and iHeart Radio
Musician related for Tempo ( metronome) Circle of 5ths App, Multitrack DAW
Zinio for electronic magazine subscriptions
Verizon Fios Cable TV Service, I use the iPad as a remote with the Fios app
Netflix for streaming movies to the iPad
MLB.com for checking up to the minute scores in both leagues during baseball season
Dropbox I can drop files I store in the cloud to my iPad or any other PC/Mac
If you're into games that's almost unlimited crossword puzzles, soduku, scrabble

Probably best of all I can sync it with my Apple TV and can stream movies from the iPad to my LCD TV. Ever have to take a bathroom or snack break while
watching a movie ? You don't have to pause the movie, you take the iPad to the bathroom or kitchen, while your family can still be watching the movie on the big
screen TV.

Lots more too

Best o

#311756 - 01/10/11 04:30 PM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: cassp]
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...

#311768 - 01/10/11 07:58 PM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52
Cass, The device is phenomenal I purchased mine the day it was released for sale last April, if given a choice of having only a laptop or an iPad, I'd be hard pressed to make a decision. For my use the device is better for media consumption than it really is for productivity, but it can work for productiviy as well. I've heard cases of reporters while on a flight being able to write a story for publishing.

Books from Kindle, Nook, Stanza and iBooks and they sync with the Kindle or the Nook e-readers.
On line radio stations including Pandora, WonderRadio, Last.Fm, Slacker and iHeart Radio
MLB.com for checking up to the minute scores in both leagues during baseball season
If you're into games that's almost unlimited crossword puzzles, soduku, scrabble

Probably best of all I can sync it with my Apple TV and can stream movies from the iPad to my LCD TV. Ever have to take a bathroom or snack break while
watching a movie ? You don't have to pause the movie, you take the iPad to the bathroom or kitchen, while your family can still be watching the movie on the big
screen TV.

Lots more too

Best o

Steve ... what happens if "GOD FORBID" you LOSE it ... sick

#311771 - 01/10/11 08:38 PM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: cassp]
miden Offline

Loc: The World
I used to use a Dell XT2 Tablet PC...But I sold it to buy the iPad. Best decision I ever made!!

As the screen resolution is so sharp and crystal clear and very bright if you want it, it is really easy to see on stage.

That was a concern I had as my Dell was a 12" screen, but believe it or not because of the better tech in the Apple screens, I can see the iPAd far better than the Dell!!!

And the battery life on the iPAd is about 10 hours for me..On the Dell it was, at ABSOLUTE best, about 2 hours.

I can use it for internet work, to read all my e-books, play songs (although I use my Ipod touch for that mostly).

I am in contact with a developer who is going to enable the embedding of MIDI data into his chart lists, which means on my Korg PA2xPro, I can embed all my MIDI control files. These are the ones that select ANY songbook entry. You can actually have, wait for it, up to 9999 songs setup!!! Nine Thousand Nine Hundred and ninety nine!!!!!

I thought I was going good to have my 600!!

So when I select a chart on the iPad, it AUTOMATICALLY loads up the corresponding song setup on the Korg..Sweet!!

It's a marvellous device alright, the iPad and I can recommend to any muso using a chart in any way shape or form

Dennis

#311782 - 01/11/11 05:00 AM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Originally Posted By: Stephenm52

screen TV.

Lots more too

Best o

Steve ... what happens if "GOD FORBID" you LOSE it ... sick

Tony, if I lose it I'm screwed!! laugh laugh............... Just kidding.

My iPad is backed up on 2 different computers. Kindle, Nook, Zinio also store your books/magazines on line for download on demand too.

One great feature for security purposes the ability to remotely wipe the device in case it's lost or stolen. Although I don't have sensitive information stored in it I'd prefer some unwanting eyes not have access to my contacts or e-mail accounts.

Edited by Stephenm52 (01/11/11 05:01 AM)

#311790 - 01/11/11 10:22 AM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: Stephenm52]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Steve ... believe me, knowing you I just KNEW you would have more than adequate back-up ...

#311796 - 01/11/11 10:39 AM Re: iPad - useful or what??? [Re: cassp]
Bachus Offline

-Web browsing from my couch (just perfect)
-Music notation/reading (awesome)
-reading books, magazines, newspapers and comics.
-watching movies from my bed (makes the bedroom TV set obsolete)
-Playing puzzle games

And for most of the rest i have my Iphone....

I haven't found much time to try the music apps avaiable for it, but there seem to be some great composition tools avaialble

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online